Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Got to wonder if Leaman OR Bazin will make minnies list of candidates.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pretty sure they want a Minny alum...

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    Pretty sure they want a Minny alum...
    Stupid, I'd take leaman over some guy who happened to play for woog or worse Lucia. Might bring some new ideas to the program.

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Black Bear since D-2

Stupid, I'd take leaman over some guy who happened to play for woog or worse Lucia. Might bring some new ideas to the program.

Potulny has turned Northern Michigan around in a hurry, unlike, say, a Gendron, who had the advantage of working at a school with better visibility, and has accomplished pretty-much nothing... I would guess that Potulny is on the radar at Minnesota, and everywhere else that there's a D-1 vacancy.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-21-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Potulny has turned Northern Michigan around in a hurry, unlike, say, a Gendron, who had the advantage of working at a school with better visibility, and has accomplished pretty-much nothing... I would guess that Potulny is on the radar at Minnesota, and everywhere else that there's a D-1 vacancy.
    Yeah, the expectations at nmu and at Minnesota are pretty different. Red ain't getting the job at Minnesota

There was no joy in Orono.

Odds this team makes an NCAA tourney appearance in the next three years? 30 percent ish?

Read the Yahoo NCAA preciew yesterday and found it telling Quinn basically said the BU game after world jrs was the worst coaching decisions hed made. And that was Maines one good win all year!

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Expected & probably a good move at this point. Do any of us really want to start at ground zero...again? Best case scenario: Maine makes the NCAA tourney over the next couple of years & Gendron steps down at the end of his extension.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Odds this team makes an NCAA tourney appearance in the next three years? 30 percent ish?

Read the Yahoo NCAA preciew yesterday and found it telling Quinn basically said the BU game after world jrs was the worst coaching decisions hed made. And that was Maines one good win all year!
    If Maine is going to make the tournament next year is the time. Not only will we be well into Red's recruits, the Hockey East schedule is very favorable. Lowell, Northeastern, Providence and Boston College all at home for a pair, plus a home date vs Boston University. Road trips next season are at #4 BU, #5 UConn, #9 Vermont, #10 Merrimack and #11 New Hampshire. Single roadies at BC and UMA. Don't know what non-conference has in store beyond the pair in Duluth, but conference play should be a huge positive for UMaine.

I'm guessing way more money at UMinn. Salary and other opportunities.

I read on here some time ago that York was getting $576,000 a year and "The Don" was pulling down something like $500,00. Lots of empty seats during games I viewed this season unlike in the past when they were winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Pucknut View Post
    I read on here some time ago that York was getting $576,000 a year and "The Don" was pulling down something like $500,00. Lots of empty seats during games I viewed this season unlike in the past when they were winning.
    Empty seats compared to PC?

Well you nailed it, timing of announcement too.
    Dissapointed the contract terms were not changed, seems like some incentive/goal bonuses would be better to have included, not to mention a buyout clause if underperforming.
    Last edited by NorthMike; 03-22-2018 at 11:58 AM.

There was no joy in Orono.
    Quote Originally Posted by umhockey91 View Post
    Expected & probably a good move at this point. Do any of us really want to start at ground zero...again? Best case scenario: Maine makes the NCAA tourney over the next couple of years & Gendron steps down at the end of his extension.
    Honestly Im not sure itd be ground zero. If these recruits are what theyre sposed to be I think youd see a a significant bounce by a better and more disciplined bench

If Maine is going to make the tournament next year is the time. Not only will we be well into Red's recruits, the Hockey East schedule is very favorable. Lowell, Northeastern, Providence and Boston College all at home for a pair, plus a home date vs Boston University. Road trips next season are at #4 BU, #5 UConn, #9 Vermont, #10 Merrimack and #11 New Hampshire. Single roadies at BC and UMA. Don't know what non-conference has in store beyond the pair in Duluth, but conference play should be a huge positive for UMaine.
    I disagree on the schedule, I think.

Sure, Maine has a better chance to beat UML, NU, PC and BC at home than on the road. But, I'd still put Maine as an underdog (UML bounceback pending) at home. Maine would definitely be favorites at home against UConn, UVM, MC, UNH. On the road, probably a coin flip at best?

If Maine were going to be a power that brushes aside the bottom teams no matter where they play, then absolutely you want the big dogs at home. But if Maine is average to slightly above average and needs to grind out games against other average teams, facing them all on the road is going to depress the number of wins. I'd be surprised if Maine dropped a home game to MC. I'd be surprised if they DIDN'T drop a road game to MC in a two game series.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I disagree on the schedule, I think.

Sure, Maine has a better chance to beat UML, NU, PC and BC at home than on the road. But, I'd still put Maine as an underdog (UML bounceback pending) at home. Maine would definitely be favorites at home against UConn, UVM, MC, UNH. On the road, probably a coin flip at best?

If Maine were going to be a power that brushes aside the bottom teams no matter where they play, then absolutely you want the big dogs at home. But if Maine is average to slightly above average and needs to grind out games against other average teams, facing them all on the road is going to depress the number of wins. I'd be surprised if Maine dropped a home game to MC. I'd be surprised if they DIDN'T drop a road game to MC in a two game series.
    That's why I started with the word "if."

Maine's chances of knocking off BC, PC or NU are better in Orono than trying to win at Conte Forum, Matthews or Schneider (combined 0-7 this season)

Good call. No mention of winning Hockey East or competing for national championship next year. Perhaps it will happen. I think BoSox3066 is about right at 30 % chance. I 'll go higher at 40 %.

2 year extension was not the way to go...nope...should of added JUST 1 year and added some *protection that if this upcoming season would go in the dumpster, that the extension would be *VOIDED with a *25% Buy-out on the 1 year added extension...now there on the hook if everything goes wrong. Time to earn his KEEP, and that has not happened so far...even with a winning season this was the same old...same old team with ONLY one key improvement: In Goal/Swayman. I wish/hope this goes well.....BUT from what I watched/seen the last 5 years, this has been less then idle recipe for a rebuilding and moving forward program. OH WELL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    2 year extension was not the way to go...nope...should of added JUST 1 year and added some *protection that if this upcoming season would go in the dumpster, that the extension would be *VOIDED with a *25% Buy-out on the 1 year added extension...now there on the hook if everything goes wrong. Time to earn his KEEP, and that has not happened so far...even with a winning season this was the same old...same old team with ONLY one key improvement: In Goal/Swayman. I wish/hope this goes well.....BUT from what I watched/seen the last 5 years, this has been less then idle recipe for a rebuilding and moving forward program. OH WELL.
    Why in the world would Red agree to any of that?

Why in the world would Red agree to any of that?
    Not sure that matters to folks who want him gone

Exactly. There are many fine young coaches from good DI programs who would welcome the opportunity to be the head coach at Maine.

I am on the fence now on this one...

But notice how providence cleared, mugged, mamed, etc.. in front of their own goalie against BU in HE final.

Is this style that hard to coach for Maine. Is it that hard to understand you protect a great goalie and you win games.

I didn't put question marks on purpose.

Red has to get better at coaching protecting Maine's netfront. Has to get better defensive defensemen talent.

Thread Information