Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

If it is a money loser, why do schools keep coming back to host a regional?
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Ticapnews-

Did you delete or move your analysis post? I'm glad I saved it, good information.

2016 Hockey East Overlords

I'm assuming the two eastern regionals can draw a profit, at least some years. Otherwise there's not much reason for teams that can't reasonably make it (Holy Cross, Brown) to keep bidding.

How did Maine do when they Hosted the ICE-BREAKER a few years back in Portland (Maine, LSSU, Mich.State, N.Dakota) Didn't Maine have to pony up the money for all 3 teams to be there.?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Do you happen to know whether or not the host school ever turns a profit on a Regional, at least in the Northeast?
    I have asked on other threads but don't know. I think Fairfield has a deal with the NCAA which is why they keep hosting even though they don't have a team. The best comparison would be UNH but I don't know if they make any money in Manchester.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
    UMass decided not to host again. Even BU decided to stop hosting. Out west no one except North Dakota wants to host. Yale has more money than God so can do whatever it wants. I would love to know what incentive UNH has to keep hosting at Manchester. If hosting a regional was a money maker then the NCAA would get more bids. Portland will probably win because of lack of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Ticapnews-

Did you delete or move your analysis post? I'm glad I saved it, good information.
    It should still be in the old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    How did Maine do when they Hosted the ICE-BREAKER a few years back in Portland (Maine, LSSU, Mich.State, N.Dakota) Didn't Maine have to pony up the money for all 3 teams to be there.?
    I didnít think attendance was very good, but not sure how much money they made/lost.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevengeance View Post
    I'm assuming the two eastern regionals can draw a profit, at least some years. Otherwise there's not much reason for teams that can't reasonably make it (Holy Cross, Brown) to keep bidding.
    Who knows why schools in the Ivy League do anything If the stars align you might make a profit. If it was more profitable, one would have to assume you'd see Providence host in Providence, since they've become a consistent tournament team. They could reap the profits AND assure themselves of "home" ice in the regional.

Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Ticapnews-

Thanks. Got it.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
    That's what I was wondering... But, if it was anything like a guaranteed money-maker for the host school, then I'd guess everyone would bid.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-16-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Black Bear since D-2

if any of you will indulge a little informal poll, who would be willing to make the trip to Portland in 2020 to see a Regional in which Maine almost certainly won't participate? (I assume the weekend will set you back around $85 per day for tickets alone, but that might have gone up since last I actually attended such an event.)

Talking Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

if any of you will indulge a little informal poll, who would be willing to make the trip to Portland in 2020 to see a Regional in which Maine almost certainly won't participate? (I assume the weekend will set you back around $85 per day for tickets alone, but that might have gone up since last I actually attended such an event.)
    I almost certainly would not go in that circumstance living out of state and with a few kids.

But, Maine will almost certainly make that regional.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    I didn’t think attendance was very good, but not sure how much money they made/lost.
    I was there and thought the attendance was good....but what I was trying to figure out is did Maine lose money as they had to pay for the Ice-Breaker and for the three teams...so there had to be a break even point?

If I am retired: YES....still working: NOPE.

University of Maine Class of 2020
    If itís a collection of NCHC and B1G teams populating the regional, no I probably wonít go. If thereís a HEA team Id like to see in it, I probably would go. And Iím an optimist, so Iíd say thereís a shot Maine is playing in it by then, in which case I would defintely be there.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

I would go, spend the weekend in Portland. if Maine was there it would be sold out. Love to see North Dakota
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

There was no joy in Orono.
    I wouldnt be getting tickets months out, Id wait and see who was in it and if the price cratered. If i have to pay a little more because its a good draw so be it

Smile Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    I almost certainly would not go in that circumstance living out of state and with a few kids.

But, Maine will almost certainly make that regional.
    If Maine was in it I'd pay a lot for whole family. Because it has been a while.

Since it would be a whopping 25 minute trek, I suppose I could make it.

Odds are I'd be covering the games though, so I'll save the $85 for concessions.

Living in Portland, absolutely.

Thread Information