UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    Well you nailed it, timing of announcement too.
    Dissapointed the contract terms were not changed, seems like some incentive/goal bonuses would be better to have included, not to mention a buyout clause if underperforming.
    Last edited by NorthMike; 03-22-2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
      Expected & probably a good move at this point. Do any of us really want to start at ground zero...again? Best case scenario: Maine makes the NCAA tourney over the next couple of years & Gendron steps down at the end of his extension.
      Honestly Im not sure itd be ground zero. If these recruits are what theyre sposed to be I think youd see a a significant bounce by a better and more disciplined bench

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

If Maine is going to make the tournament next year is the time. Not only will we be well into Red's recruits, the Hockey East schedule is very favorable. Lowell, Northeastern, Providence and Boston College all at home for a pair, plus a home date vs Boston University. Road trips next season are at #4 BU, #5 UConn, #9 Vermont, #10 Merrimack and #11 New Hampshire. Single roadies at BC and UMA. Don't know what non-conference has in store beyond the pair in Duluth, but conference play should be a huge positive for UMaine.
        I disagree on the schedule, I think.

Sure, Maine has a better chance to beat UML, NU, PC and BC at home than on the road. But, I'd still put Maine as an underdog (UML bounceback pending) at home. Maine would definitely be favorites at home against UConn, UVM, MC, UNH. On the road, probably a coin flip at best?

If Maine were going to be a power that brushes aside the bottom teams no matter where they play, then absolutely you want the big dogs at home. But if Maine is average to slightly above average and needs to grind out games against other average teams, facing them all on the road is going to depress the number of wins. I'd be surprised if Maine dropped a home game to MC. I'd be surprised if they DIDN'T drop a road game to MC in a two game series.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
          I disagree on the schedule, I think.

Sure, Maine has a better chance to beat UML, NU, PC and BC at home than on the road. But, I'd still put Maine as an underdog (UML bounceback pending) at home. Maine would definitely be favorites at home against UConn, UVM, MC, UNH. On the road, probably a coin flip at best?

If Maine were going to be a power that brushes aside the bottom teams no matter where they play, then absolutely you want the big dogs at home. But if Maine is average to slightly above average and needs to grind out games against other average teams, facing them all on the road is going to depress the number of wins. I'd be surprised if Maine dropped a home game to MC. I'd be surprised if they DIDN'T drop a road game to MC in a two game series.
          That's why I started with the word "if."

Maine's chances of knocking off BC, PC or NU are better in Orono than trying to win at Conte Forum, Matthews or Schneider (combined 0-7 this season)

Comment

Good call. No mention of winning Hockey East or competing for national championship next year. Perhaps it will happen. I think BoSox3066 is about right at 30 % chance. I 'll go higher at 40 %.

Comment

2 year extension was not the way to go...nope...should of added JUST 1 year and added some *protection that if this upcoming season would go in the dumpster, that the extension would be *VOIDED with a *25% Buy-out on the 1 year added extension...now there on the hook if everything goes wrong. Time to earn his KEEP, and that has not happened so far...even with a winning season this was the same old...same old team with ONLY one key improvement: In Goal/Swayman. I wish/hope this goes well.....BUT from what I watched/seen the last 5 years, this has been less then idle recipe for a rebuilding and moving forward program. OH WELL.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                2 year extension was not the way to go...nope...should of added JUST 1 year and added some *protection that if this upcoming season would go in the dumpster, that the extension would be *VOIDED with a *25% Buy-out on the 1 year added extension...now there on the hook if everything goes wrong. Time to earn his KEEP, and that has not happened so far...even with a winning season this was the same old...same old team with ONLY one key improvement: In Goal/Swayman. I wish/hope this goes well.....BUT from what I watched/seen the last 5 years, this has been less then idle recipe for a rebuilding and moving forward program. OH WELL.
                Why in the world would Red agree to any of that?

Comment

Why in the world would Red agree to any of that?
                  Not sure that matters to folks who want him gone

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post

Exactly. There are many fine young coaches from good DI programs who would welcome the opportunity to be the head coach at Maine.

Comment

• Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Originally posted by walrus View Post

I am on the fence now on this one...

But notice how providence cleared, mugged, mamed, etc.. in front of their own goalie against BU in HE final.

Is this style that hard to coach for Maine. Is it that hard to understand you protect a great goalie and you win games.

I didn't put question marks on purpose.

Red has to get better at coaching protecting Maine's netfront. Has to get better defensive defensemen talent.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                        Expected & probably a good move at this point. Do any of us really want to start at ground zero...again? Best case scenario: Maine makes the NCAA tourney over the next couple of years & Gendron steps down at the end of his extension.

JSYK, "Ground Zero" is the exact point at which the A-bomb falls, not another starting-point. And Red has sited that bomb precisely on the Alfond for a while now.

Maine might be better-off back to get back to "Square One", as in: a genuine do-over. (Why the ***k not, anymore?!?)

I'm not at all encouraged that Red -a proven loser- has been rewarded for failing over 5 loooong years, with 3 more years of futility on the horizon.

Potential chaos or not, this was a very bad extension. Perhaps a death-knell for the program, as if that those bells haven't already been tolling for years.

My guess is that we're looking at more of the same futility for the rest of Red's tenure.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-22-2018, 09:26 PM.

Comment

The U has a real soft spot for anyone connected to the glory years, like Red. I dont think anyone there would fire him for that reason. I sort of understand that, a little small bit, but its time to move on and begin a new story.

I suspect in three years Red will retire, so they gave it to him and let him go out on his terms. Hopefully the young assistant coaches can carry the water and breath some life into things over the next few years. They are surely a bright spot in the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                            The U has a real soft spot for anyone connected to the glory years, like Red. I dont think anyone there would fire him for that reason. I sort of understand that, a little small bit, but its time to move on and begin a new story.

I suspect in three years Red will retire, so they gave it to him and let him go out on his terms. Hopefully the young assistant coaches can carry the water and breath some life into things over the next few years. They are surely a bright spot in the situation.
                            I kinda hear you, but why waste three more years? That will just bury this program a few feet deeper.

I absolutely do not see the point in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              JSYK, "Ground Zero" is the exact point at which the A-bomb falls, not another starting-point. And Red has sited that bomb precisely on the Alfond for a while now.

Maine might be better-off back to get back to "Square One", as in: a genuine do-over. (Why the ***k not, anymore?!?)

I'm not at all encouraged that Red -a proven loser- has been rewarded for failing over 5 loooong years, with 3 more years of futility on the horizon.

Potential chaos or not, this was a very bad extension. Perhaps a death-knell for the program, as if that those bells haven't already been tolling for years.

My guess is that we're looking at more of the same futility for the rest of Red's tenure.
                              With powerhouses like St. Cloud State, Minnesota State, Princeton, Michigan Tech, Clarkson & Air Force populating the ice tourney now....one has to wonder if it really IS worth the investment or effort. One win by UMBC in the men's bouncy ball tourney earned them more money & recognition than Maine hockey would get if they made the next 10 Frozen 4s.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                I kinda hear you, but why waste three more years? That will just bury this program a few feet deeper.

I absolutely do not see the point in that.
                                Cant disagree. Personaly I gave Red the benefit of the doubt to see how the team did down the final regular season stretch. Maybe they were going to turn the corner. Nope, we all know how that went, not great, confirming low confidence in Reds program. I dont think Red is up for the task to get it back to a top ten program. It takes a huge amount of work and energy among many other things.

Now its wait and see and hope.

Comment

Working...
                                X