• Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Have you forgotten JIMMY HOWARD..?
    No. Jimmy was awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      Ok, maybe another case when I am wrong.

But for me it is 1a vs 1b, Kariya vs. Gionta.

Also in college I believe Miller from Michigan was the best college goalie of all time.

Defensemen will take me some time to think about...

But for me I'd take Commodore and Komisarek

Kariya/Hrkac/Giotna
      Commodore/Kamisarek
      Miller

Not nhl playing, just pure NCAA. What a tandem? Anyone want to upgrade this lineup just talking on ice in college?
      No doubt Gionta was a great player. Parker was quoted saying he would have given two scholarships to get him. And maybe if he had left after that phenomenal freshman season, I would have a higher impression of him. But his production dropped each year at BC (I'm pretty sure of that, I know his freshman season was his most points), and by the time he was a senior, I feel like it was the younger kids on that team who were the story (Eaves, Kolanos, etc).

I put Gionta more in the Drury category. Unbelievable players for sure, great combination of skill and grit. But Kariya and Eichel were so noticeably different than everyone else on the ice, even though they had a lot of talent around them. With Kariya, I will always remember how his acceleration defied logic given his size, and his mind was clearly a couple steps ahead of everyone else. With Eichel, the combination of strength, speed with the puck, and vision were lethal. For both these guys, when watching them, you would think they could almost score every time they had the puck. And both were 17 year old freshmen, just another sign of how they were at another level.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I think Chris Imes, if only looking at college play, has to be up there for d men. He willed a underpowered Maine time to the final game. Some nights he played over 30 minutes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          I think Chris Imes, if only looking at college play, has to be up there for d men. He willed a underpowered Maine time to the final game. Some nights he played over 30 minutes

He was just like you said a force and yes he was outstanding college hockey player....

Comment

You don't look like a Maine fan to me at all. You are a god ****ed idiot if you think Tralmaks isn't an nhl talent. Period.
            And you are clearly a drunk. Get some help.

FWIW, I'd be surprised if Maine won 20 next year, but I haven't seen the schedule yet and don't have any kind of an informed opinion. Still, I'd doubt that very seriously. (Hell, they didn't win 20 this season against a weak schedule, but go ahead and have another double and dream on.) If you want to see what a real re-build looks like, note UMD.

Red doesn't have this team anywhere near a bid at this point, and he's had 5 long years to do it. What in the world makes you so optimistic, aside from the Everclear?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Red doesn't have this team anywhere near a bid at this point, and he's had 5 long years to do it. What in the world makes you so optimistic, aside from the Everclear?
              Allen's

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

FWIW, I'd be surprised if Maine won 20 next year, but I haven't seen the schedule yet and don't have any kind of an informed opinion. Still, I'd doubt that very seriously. (Hell, they didn't win 20 this season against a weak schedule, but go ahead and have another double and dream on.) If you want to see what a real re-build looks like, note UMD.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say I think the team is capable of 20 wins, and I think they will get there, but it isn’t a sure thing. I also think that 3rd place to 9th place could be pretty up in the air in HEA next season, as there’s only two top tier teams (BC, PC) and two teams headed for a truly tough season (MC, NH). I predict Maine to finish between 4th and 6th, with 3rd a possibility if everything breaks right, and 7th possible if it all goes wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                  And could be the first women's assistant in Div.1 Mens Basketball.
                  Or not. http://articles.courant.com/2012-06-...nadette-mattox
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Last season you said they would win ten games... they won eighteen despite only winning three of the last ten games. So your opinion has to be taken with this in mind.

The schedule next year evidently has two games with UMD and one with Yale. The SOS was 27th this season, which means it was slightly stronger than average. And next season I doubt there will be all cupcakes scheduled to make it easy. Nor do I expect all the games to be against the top teams. So more than likely it will be similar to being the average SOS.

If that is the case, then I don't see how the loss of graduates(Vesey, Hamilton, and Lacroix) can't be overcome by the natural improvement in the rest of the team's development and promising incoming recruits(SchmidtSvestrup, Dawe, Butala, Drobot, Kleiboer).

So, I believe Maine will do no worse than this past season(given the bulk of talent was in the freshmen and sophomores) and have a fair amount of upside.

I think getting over 20 wins is a reasonable expectation. This all assumes top non-graduated talent on the team comes back next year.

Comment

NE Hockey Journal's take on HE next season...

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1372681

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                        NE Hockey Journal's take on HE next season...

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1372681
                        Sounds pretty close, I personally would bump Maine to fourth ahead of NU, who stands to lose quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                          Sounds pretty close, I personally would bump Maine to fourth ahead of NU, who stands to lose quite a bit.
                          I would bump Maine below lowell and NU. Red hasn't convinced me he can coach.

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Last season you said they would win ten games... they won eighteen despite only winning three of the last ten games. So your opinion has to be taken with this in mind.

The schedule next year evidently has two games with UMD and one with Yale. The SOS was 27th this season, which means it was slightly stronger than average. And next season I doubt there will be all cupcakes scheduled to make it easy. Nor do I expect all the games to be against the top teams. So more than likely it will be similar to being the average SOS.

If that is the case, then I don't see how the loss of graduates(Vesey, Hamilton, and Lacroix) can't be overcome by the natural improvement in the rest of the team's development and promising incoming recruits(SchmidtSvestrup, Dawe, Butala, Drobot, Kleiboer).

So, I believe Maine will do no worse than this past season(given the bulk of talent was in the freshmen and sophomores) and have a fair amount of upside.

I think getting over 20 wins is a reasonable expectation. This all assumes top non-graduated talent on the team comes back next year.
                            Blackie, I don't care how many wins Maine has next year, as long as what wins they are able to chalk-up get are enough to get them into the NCAA's. That's really all there is to it. All you need to do is to get in, to have a chance. (Ask UMD.)

But, FCS, Red hasn't had Maine in the same area-code as an NCAA bid even once, and yet he gets extended and people like you jump and shout... That's what I don't get.
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-08-2018, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                              I’m gonna go out on a limb and say I think the team is capable of 20 wins, and I think they will get there, but it isn’t a sure thing. I also think that 3rd place to 9th place could be pretty up in the air in HEA next season, as there’s only two top tier teams (BC, PC) and two teams headed for a truly tough season (MC, NH). I predict Maine to finish between 4th and 6th, with 3rd a possibility if everything breaks right, and 7th possible if it all goes wrong.
                              i wouldn't bet against BU next year, either.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post

One of your best posts, I think. I posted something similar on the UNH thread that I think the Cats will be better next season, but that ain't saying much, as we only need to win 11 games.:-)

Comment

Working...
                                X