Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Interesting how well Sean Romeo played this weekend. Never would have guessed he would anchor a frozen 4 team based on his time in Orono. I guess the staff didn't either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    To be honest, I saw one game he started when he was with Maine, and I thought that he was fairly awful.

He's been outstanding at OSU, though. Makes me wonder yet again if Red has any idea whatsoever as to how to handle his personnel.

I doubt I'll survive the 3 years of almost-certain futility ahead of us, but that probably will work for most of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      Red was here a lot longer than I thought.

https://mainecampus.com/2018/03/mens...eason-wrap-up/
      "Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        "You had me at hello"

Comment

Lol. Everyone that knows me that's ****ing funny!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            To be honest, I saw one game he started when he was with Maine, and I thought that he was fairly awful.

He's been outstanding at OSU, though. Makes me wonder yet again if Red has any idea whatsoever as to how to handle his personnel.

I doubt I'll survive the 3 years of almost-certain futility ahead of us, but that probably will work for most of you.
            He was a highly recruited goalie that played in Youngstown in USHL. Doesn't take much to figure this out???

Comment

He must have walked on, I assume that's true in orono also

No you know. you are Groot!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                He was a highly recruited goalie that played in Youngstown in USHL. Doesn't take much to figure this out???
                Apparently it does as he got kicked to the curb. I knew Morris was highly recruited, after all Jimmy was his coach. I thought Romeo was supposed to back Morris up. I'm curious about scholarship money in Orono and why Ohio state took a chance on him. I'm pulling for OSU in frozen 4, hope Sean plays well.

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Apparently it does as he got kicked to the curb. I knew Morris was highly recruited, after all Jimmy was his coach. I thought Romeo was supposed to back Morris up. I'm curious about scholarship money in Orono and why Ohio state took a chance on him. I'm pulling for OSU in frozen 4, hope Sean plays well.

Sean was receiving scholarship money at Maine and also received a scholarship when he enrolled at Ohio State. I have no details about the amount. Sean said at the time of departure from Maine that Gendron would not give him playing time and he wanted to play. I am hoping Sean wins a national title and I'll be cheering for him.

Comment

In my opinion he didn't play due to coach's choice. The fact is, he was a good goalie in USHL. It is/was enough to warrant a scholarship.

I doubt Alfie was around then???

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                      In my opinion he didn't play due to coach's choice. The fact is, he was a good goalie in USHL. It is/was enough to warrant a scholarship.

I doubt Alfie was around then???
                      Alfie wasn't, Ray Jean maybe

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                        What the hell is going on at maine campus that they let that slip? Its not as if Reds rings from the devils and yale never come up youd think itd be pretty obvious he hasnt been in Orono for 28 straight years

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                          What the hell is going on at maine campus that they let that slip? Its not as if Reds rings from the devils and yale never come up youd think itd be pretty obvious he hasnt been in Orono for 28 straight years
                          Well, the rebuilding process is a little longer than we thought. Someday it will take off. Year 30, I am told.

Comment

Thanks for the link.

But, ya know, all this whistling-past-the-graveyard mystifies me, especially as it's been embodied in Maine's wrong-headed extension of Red.

I do realize that people want to avoid another so-called "re-build", but the fact of the matter is that every single year of Red's tenure has looked exactly like a rebuild to me, if not -more accurately- a regression as often as not... As someone said earlier on this thread, without Sway, Maine might have won only 10 games this year.

I really can't believe that our program could be in meaningfully worse shape right now if Maine had decided on a quality new hire. I certainly wouldn't have foreseen mass defections, because it isn't as though Maine is stocked with blue-chippers who have a roster-spots waiting for them with baited breath at a Denver or a Minnesota or even a (fill-in the blank low-echelon team).

On the bright side, Red's extension will likely save me some serious travel-bucks.
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-28-2018, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              Thanks for the link.

But, ya know, all this whistling-past-the-graveyard mystifies me, especially as it's been embodied in Maine's wrong-headed extension of Red.

I do realize that people want to avoid another so-called "re-build", but the fact of the matter is that every single year of Red's tenure has looked exactly like a rebuild to me, if not -more accurately- a regression as often as not... As someone said earlier on this thread, without Sway, Maine might have won only 10 games this year.

I really can't believe that our program could be in meaningfully worse shape right now if Maine had decided on a quality new hire. I certainly wouldn't have foreseen mass defections, because it isn't as though Maine is stocked with blue-chippers who have a roster-spots waiting for them with baited breath at a Denver or a Minnesota or even a (fill-in the blank low-echelon team).

On the bright side, Red's extension will likely save me some serious travel-bucks.
                              I mostly agree. However, the offense has been markedly better. So I doubt we would be at 10 wins. And truth be told, Swayman played outstanding until last ten or so games. He is a rookie like anyone else.

My guess is without defections offense is better. Given there are two big recriuts on offense. And Swayman is as good or better. And we have a solid defensive d man coming in.

But I wish now, with the extension, team defense gets better. Be nice to hear defense is working on getter better, specifically protecting the net front. And that centermen back check through the ice, and that wings pin puck low. And that the defense work at protecting net front and play body.

We shall see.

I think Maine will get better. But the big difference maker are the defensemen, in my opinion.

Comment

Looks like baseball isn't great this year. But at least women's bball was great. And women's hockey got much better.

Comment

Working...
                                X