X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Carry on.

Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Why are we assuming Guite can coach a bench? Reminds me of those wanting Corkum to take over for Whitehead. Where is Bob these days?

If and when Red goes I say clean house and see what shakes loose. If Bens the best of the bunch fine but no going in thinking that please

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Aw shucks, I wanted to be able to make the thread so I could call it “Seeing Red” . Anyway, as it relates to hosting a regional in Portland, the 2019 regional sites have already been chosen, so we’ll have to see about 2020.

Comment

Why is a Portland regional a bad thing? Bangor didn't put ice in its arena, so that's out. There are no campus sites in the East, and Orono is too isolated/far away from hotels/restaurants anyways.

It's a fun city, they did a pretty good job refurbishing the arena, and fans in Portland have turned out well for the America East women's basketball tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
          Why is a Portland regional a bad thing? Bangor didn't put ice in its arena, so that's out. There are no campus sites in the East, and Orono is too isolated/far away from hotels/restaurants anyways.

It's a fun city, they did a pretty good job refurbishing the arena, and fans in Portland have turned out well for the America East women's basketball tourney.
          Not a bad thing at all. I'm just wondering, however, irrespective of all the "attendance issues" talk, if it's a little too small at just over 6,000.

Comment

I don’t think it would be bad at all, if it’s a well run operation. It’s a big opportunity more than anything.

On a side note, I know it will never happen, but a regional in Orono would be amazing. Imagine a regional game at Alfond, especially if Maine was in it. It would be great.

Comment

I don't think its a bad thing either. If Maine or UNH isn't in it I think it would really struggle attendance wise though. I can't see a lot of local people going if their team isn't in it if they charge ridiculous prices, which I anticipate.

This is a little off topic, but I really hope the NCAA freshens things up. The current setup just isn't that great and how lightly it is attended proves this out. I would recommend a champions league type selection format(with a few at-large bids depending on the conference tourneys) and having the first two rounds on campus.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                This is a little off topic, but I really hope the NCAA freshens things up. The current setup just isn't that great and how lightly it is attended proves this out.
                That ship has sailed. Last year there were numerous (meaning at least five) threads discussing this very topic. I know I for one have just given up.

Comment

I don't think its a bad thing either. If Maine or UNH isn't in it I think it would really struggle attendance wise though. I can't see a lot of local people going if their team isn't in it if they charge ridiculous prices, which I anticipate.

This is a little off topic, but I really hope the NCAA freshens things up. The current setup just isn't that great and how lightly it is attended proves this out. I would recommend a champions league type selection format(with a few at-large bids depending on the conference tourneys) and having the first two rounds on campus.
                  I mean, its two hours by road or 2:30 by rail from Boston. Plenty of Boston-ites spend their summer weekends in and around Portland, and it has a nationally recognized food scene. I think people would come.

Besides, Portland is the commercial capital of the state. It behooves the University to keep a presence there.

Comment

Portland would be a fine place for a regional, if it weren't for the terms the NCAA imposes on the host. There's a reason no one out west wants to host. It will cost the school money - which incidentally comes from us taxpayers - that it doesn't have.

Comment

It does get a little boring with the same cities generally always hosting regionals (Bridgeport, Manchester, Fargo, etc). Either move them to on campus like you suggested (would I think would be great), or try some new cities. For instance, I bet Tsongas is capable of hosting a regional.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                        Why are we assuming Guite can coach a bench? Reminds me of those wanting Corkum to take over for Whitehead. Where is Bob these days?

If and when Red goes I say clean house and see what shakes loose. If Bens the best of the bunch fine but no going in thinking that please
                        Couldnt agree more, have posted similar. Nothing against Ben or Alfie or Brad, other than recruiting we dont know what his coach skills are. Id like to hear why people think Ben would be a great head coach.

His name hasnt surfaced yet as a possible good candidate for Merrimack.

Speaking of which, CHN has brought up Cav. as a possible candidate for reasons they laid out. If Cav has his toe in the water I can only hope that Maine would be smart enough to talk with him, and pay the salary. Said to be 300k.

Comment

I agree completely... (The only proviso being that it assumes a couple of Eastern Mass teams, and maybe a PC or a Q, being sited there.)

The capacity isn't a genuine issue; I've been to a ton of Regionals in Albany and Worcester, one in Bridgeport, and there were around 6,000 actual posteriors in the seats in those much bigger arenas just the same, which made them look fairly empty and forlorn. The CCCC would look packed at that par-level, even if Maine isn't at all likely to play in any Regional in the foreseeable future.

And yes, Portland is indeed a fun town... Pound-for-pound, vastly superior to the afore-mentioned burgs. It's a just a drive from most HEA schools, and there's a lot to do in the Old Port. It might well be a much better business-model destination for the NCAA to consider in the Northeast.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-15-2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            Portland would be a fine place for a regional, if it weren't for the terms the NCAA imposes on the host. There's a reason no one out west wants to host. It will cost the school money - which incidentally comes from us taxpayers - that it doesn't have.
                            I don't pretend to have Clue One as to the NCAA's terms, but if they were to consider the spill-over effect on the local economy -and I'd guess that that wouldn't be a factor since college hockey is still a red-headed stepchild of that grimy business- both Portland and the NCAA would actually benefit via such an event. (Imagine!)

Still, the visiting fans would stay locally, dine well, and chug some Black Fly stout at Gritty's... A win/win for everyone involved.

(And let somebody else "host".)

EDIT: This site just censored the NC "dollar-signs" suffix. Wow. Trickle-down dictatorship has arrived. Seen a bit of it on the D-3 boards, too. It's disturbing. Apparently, there's an NCAA mole on this site whose job is to keep us all in line.
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-15-2018, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              Not a bad thing at all. I'm just wondering, however, irrespective of all the "attendance issues" talk, if it's a little too small at just over 6,000.
                              Besides Worcester and Bridgeport have much more to offer! ???? Portland would be a great add for the NC$$ but Maine being considered relevant by the powers that be would help!

Comment

Working...
                              X