• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Things to watch for in hockey east...
    https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...List,-2018.php

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      Seems to me the following players are going to be competing for one spot on the 4th line assuming Rennaker and/or Lindelow aren't red-shirting.
      Quinlivan
      Holesinsky
      Perez
      Hock
      Lindelow
      Rennaker

And the following three dmen will compete for 6th d man spot...
      VMT
      Spicer
      Becker
      I would pick Holesinsky and VMT. Red might want more defensive minded players though.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
        On the schedule on goblackbears there is a link to highlights and a link to photo gallery. Hopefully they provide this for each home game. Here are the highlights...
        https://youtu.be/nTL0bvcU9KY
        I have been begging for this for years. Thank you, thank you, thank you athletic department.

Comment

Things to watch for in hockey east...
          https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...List,-2018.php
          Like it -- Big words from the CHN article!

Quote;
          Two years ago Maine fans were frustrated and wondered if the university hired the right man when they hired Red Gendron. There should have never been a question. Gendron is considered by his peers to be one of the best hockey coaches around. It's just that things like this take time.

The time is now for Maine to make a considerable jump, and they should.

AND

Bold Predictions for 2018-19
          1. Maine makes the NCAA tournament: On the back of a sophomore goaltender and a deep, but unheralded roster, the Black Bears will go dancing for the first time under Red Gendron this season.
          Last edited by NorthMike; 10-11-2018, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
            Like it -- Big words from the CHN article!

Quote;
            Two years ago Maine fans were frustrated and wondered if the university hired the right man when they hired Red Gendron. There should have never been a question. Gendron is considered by his peers to be one of the best hockey coaches around. It's just that things like this take time.

The time is now for Maine to make a considerable jump, and they should.

AND

Bold Predictions for 2018-19
            1. Maine makes the NCAA tournament: On the back of a sophomore goaltender and a deep, but unheralded roster, the Black Bears will go dancing for the first time under Red Gendron this season.
            Swayman has to be the best player night after night/if the defense improves in there own end/get scoring from 3 lines/cut out the DUMB penalty's/improve the pk and pp and then I will jump aboard....but time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
              Swayman has to be the best player night after night/if the defense improves in there own end/get scoring from 3 lines/cut out the DUMB penalty's/improve the pk and pp and then I will jump aboard....but time will tell.
              Red better up his game also

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                They have the ponies in the gate lets see if they can clean and tighten up things. If they do that they could climb the ladder.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                  Yes, for sure.
                  Well wishes to Patrick
                  Hopefully this was a decision over hockey.
                  I am not sure if it was posted anywhere, but Throckmorton mentioned it was academic ineligibility. Let's hope he can take a year to straighten out his grades and potentially come back. Not sure if he can come back, but would hope he can. I would imagine it hurts to have to leave his team.
                  https://www.wabi.tv/content/sports/B...496059061.html

I really would hate to see him go major junior and then fizzle out. But if he tried and college isn't his thing, I could see. But I hope this isn't a case of a player not utilizing resources available to student athletes. At least he can control his future and he didn't have to leave due to a terrible illness.

Comment

Captains interviewed basically saying they don't need the hype as they have a lot of work to do...
                    https://www.wabi.tv/content/sports/U...497063401.html

Let's hope this leadership can guide the team to hard work not just early, and in middle season, but at the end too when it matters most. I can imagine how last season ended could not have felt good. Hopefully that is the fuel they need the final couple months of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Red better up his game also

4-sure on that.

Comment

I am not sure if it was posted anywhere, but Throckmorton mentioned it was academic ineligibility. Let's hope he can take a year to straighten out his grades and potentially come back. Not sure if he can come back, but would hope he can. I would imagine it hurts to have to leave his team.

I really would hate to see him go major junior and then fizzle out. But if he tried and college isn't his thing, I could see. But I hope this isn't a case of a player not utilizing resources available to student athletes. At least he can control his future and he didn't have to leave due to a terrible illness.
                        not sure how leaving school gets your grades up unless he takes classes somewhere else? They must have known this was an issue last spring or maybe he took summer classes and the grades werent good enough? Seems strange he would be in Orono to start school and then big surprise........

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          not sure how leaving school gets your grades up unless he takes classes somewhere else? They must have known this was an issue last spring or maybe he took summer classes and the grades werent good enough? Seems strange he would be in Orono to start school and then big surprise........

Probably it was known heading into the fall semester. But the timing of announcement seemed to coincide with start of practice. Maybe you can only be so tight lipped when media notices he isn't on the ice. My guess is he cold enroll in classes closer to home to get his grades back up, and since not on scholly, not as expensive. Maybe he enrolls in a smaller college locally. Otherwise he would just give up on school and go pro... because after checking his age he is too old for major junior. He's gotta get his grades back up to snuff, might be his only option and the best for him in the long run. Good luck Holway.

Comment

I think he is too old for major junior. Honestly, this is another good sign for me. We want hockey players not roads scholars. If we have the odd kid here or there who is good academically that is great, but it shouldn’t be a primary focus.

Comment

Seems to me the following players are going to be competing for one spot on the 4th line assuming Rennaker and/or Lindelow aren't red-shirting.
                              Quinlivan
                              Holesinsky
                              Perez
                              Hock
                              Lindelow
                              Rennaker

And the following three dmen will compete for 6th d man spot...
                              VMT
                              Spicer
                              Becker
                              NCAA expanded to 19 skaters this season. Prior to Holway departure I had expected additional skater would be a dman to allow for more in game strategic specialization (pinching/stay at home or PP vs. PK). I still expect that to be the case but not as clear cut from one night to the next given updated roster composition and as always health is more often than not the determining factor from one night to the next.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...s_20180904.pdf
                              UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
                                NCAA expanded to 19 skaters this season. Prior to Holway departure I had expected additional skater would be a dman to allow for more in game strategic specialization (pinching/stay at home or PP vs. PK). I still expect that to be the case but not as clear cut from one night to the next given updated roster composition and as always health is more often than not the determining factor from one night to the next.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...s_20180904.pdf
                                I forgot about the rule change. Where VMT is hurt it looks like Becker is playing anyway. I probably would go with the extra forward until VMT is healthy.

Comment

Working...
                                X