Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    That is true. The accounting standards certainly vary widely, as well. My math is at work, I think BC's average spend was double Maine's (roughly). Whether 20 scholarships accounts for $2M, I can't tell you.
    Did you factor in the fact some coaches can do more than others at the same budget? That is, some coaches are better than others with the budget they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      Since I already had each school's reported hockey expenses (except Army) from 2010 through 2016 I created a workbook with each conference's team's expenses vs league finishes for those seasons. There really isn't a lot of correlation between expenses and league finish.

Sean
      Probably there is some truth to that. I think good coaching and recruiting from a sell standpoint can trump a budget. But helps having a purse to make up for short comings. Having said this, we have low budget and "substandard" facilities and an unproven coach at NCAA head coach level. Despite our stadium is considered old, I wouldn't change its' structure. Maintenance annually. But it's the best venue in NCAA hockey in my opinion. And the fans can and will make that true. But probably we need to pay more for coaching and recruiting budget. My $0.02.

Comment

This is awesome, thank you, but I'm not sure I really agree with the conclusion. I am going to play with this a lot. My early observations are that UMass gets a crappy bang for its buck, and that PC's trip into the top half of the league coincided pretty closely to it upping its spending.
        You're welcome. I was interested in seeing how closely expenses correlated to finish once you brought it up.

So this is quick and dirty, but by average spend over the seven years (only teams that were in HE the whole time)(BC/BU/PC/UNH).
        If you wanted averages you could have looked the numbers up on my NCAA Financials workbook (link in my sig).

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        To make that meaningful you'd have to subtract scholarship funds. A free ride at BC or BU costs more than at a state school. That would give a more accurate accounting of each school's true expenses for ice hockey.
        My workbook has either actual or estimated athletic aid (read the third paragraph of the first post in the NCAA Hockey Financials thread. If you want to compare spending without athletic aid you can subtract the actual and estimated amounts from total expenses (if you trust my work).

Sean
        Last edited by Sean Pickett; 04-02-2018, 09:13 PM.
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
          But it's the best venue in NCAA hockey in my opinion.
          Yes, but it's not your opinion that matters, it's the recruits' opinions that matter.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
            I don't think they banned me yet. I made jokes for a purpose but didn't want to ruin Easter for folks. So the ones that saw early am got a chuckle. it was a joke with an expiration date so to speak. I deleted after that and had busy easter myself.

No worries, I promise to be back to my goofy "loveable" self.

Or else not. news is slow this time of the year.
            glad to hear that. you had a few good ones in there.. can't take ourselves too seriously
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
              glad to hear that. you had a few good ones in there.. can't take ourselves too seriously
              Ayuh!

Comment

Yes, but it's not your opinion that matters, it's the recruits' opinions that matter.

Sean
                Right, but my opinion matters too... when it comes to beating BU.

Even if it only mean 0.01% ... it counts...

Comment

Sean
                  Why did you lose on home ice to such an inferior team?

Was part of your calculations, I am sure. Got math behind that?

Comment

You're welcome. I was interested in seeing how closely expenses correlated to finish once you brought it up.

If you wanted averages you could have looked the numbers up on my NCAA Financials workbook (link in my sig).

My workbook has either actual or estimated athletic aid (read the third paragraph of the first post in the NCAA Hockey Financials thread. If you want to compare spending without athletic aid you can subtract the actual and estimated amounts from total expenses (if you trust my work).

Sean
                    Aha. Perfect, thanks.

I guess my hypothesis isn't "Look at the 2018 standings and the 2018 spending and it will be 1:1," but more "Look at the standings over a longer period as compared to spending, and it will be largely comparable." I look forward to playing with this.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                      First, I don't believe I have ever called Maine, or any other team, inferior to BU. Second, just because BU has a newer arena that is arguably one of the top arenas in college hockey don't mean they will automatically win every game there. This season they had the fewest wins for a full season and tied for their worst record percentage wise at Agganis, which I was not happy about since I attend every home game. As why BU lost to Maine at Agganis, a number of BU posters on this forum claimed it was the BU coaching. I think the long layoff, 4 weeks (scheduled by Coach Quinn), was a factor, as was Patrick Harper playing, but not being well (it was his last game of the season). That said, Maine also beat BU at Alfond, so I would also say that Maine was not a good matchup with BU this past season.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
                        Is there anything that isn't in your workbook? Tomorrow's Powerball numbers?

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post

Was part of your calculations, I am sure. Got math behind that?
                          Sean's one of the good ones. No need to taunt him. Now mookie on the other hand...

Comment

Some memories from 25 years ago today (and yesterday)

Jim Montgomery was also a finalist for the 1993 Hobey Baker Award but he believed so strongly that Paul Kariya deserved that award that he made a video of PK's highlights and sent it to the Hobey Baker Committee.

When we won the championship Shawn Walsh's annual salary was $65,000.

Joe Carr's radio call of Montgomery's game winner:
                            https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=Zpu_f7aD7bc

The game story and box score posted by Ryan Robbins

Team captain Jim Montgomery and freshman phenom Paul Kariya picked it up a notch in the third period to lead the University of Maine Black Bears to a 5-4 NCAA Championship win over the Lake Superior State Lakers. The win gives Maine its first-ever national championship in any sport.

The Black Bears put the ghosts of Final Fours past behind when Jim Montgomery and Paula Kariya teamed up in the third period to score three unanswered goals after Lake Superior had scored three unanswered goals of its own in the second period.

Maine came out of the starting blocks fast when Patrice Tardif scored on assists from Mike Latendresse and Eric Fenton. When Chris Ferraro scored the second goal of the game at the 7:10 mark it looked like Maine was going to control the tempo of the game by keeping the ice open and staying off the boards.

But at the 17:02 mark Lake Superior's Bachusz scored to put the Lakers on the board heading into the first intermission. Lake Superior came out strong in the second period and wore Maine down along boards. For nearly the entire period, Lakers buzzed around the Maine net. As a result, the Lakers rattled off three unanswered goals to take a 4-2 lead into the final period.

Maine team Captain Jim Montgomery and his protege Paul Kariya would have none of Lake Superior's style when the third period opened. Montgomery, who led Maine's comeback against Minnesota at the East regional in Worcester, Mass., last week, scored a hat trick in a span of 4:35, with Kariya assisting on each goal.

With a minute remaining, Lake Superior pulled its goalie and pressed the Maine net, nearly tying the game when a shot deflected off the cross bar.

Montgomery's third goal was his 300th career point and Kariya's assist on that goal was his 100th of the season. Garth Snow, who replaced Mike Dunham in the third period, notched his 66th career
                            victory, tying Scott King's team record for career victories. The win was head coach Shawn Walsh's 250th.

The loss was Lake Superior's first in three Final Four appearances.

Maine finishes its season with a record of 42-1-2. This season, Maine won the Alaska Fairbanks Tournament, the Great Western Freeze-out, the Cleveland Tournament, the Dexter Hockey Classic, the Hockey East regular season title, the Hockey East tournament title, and now the NCAA Championship.

Jim Montgomery, Paul Kariya, Garth Snow, and Chris Imes were named to the All-Tournament team. Jim Montgomery was named the Most Valuable Player.

Maine's win gives Hockey East its first National Championship.

************************ Scoring Summary

****************** Lake Superior* 1* 3* 0*** 4
                            ****************** Maine********* 2* 0* 3*** 5

FIRST PERIOD - 1. Maine, Tardif (Latendresse, Fenton), 0:28; 2.
                            Maine, C. Ferraro (P. Ferraro, Imes), 7:10; 3. Lake Superior,
                            Bachusz (Angelleli, Ness), 17:02
                            SECOND PERIOD - 4. Lake Superior, Beddoes, 7:01; 5. Lake Superior,
                            Hendry (Beddoes), 15:46; 6. Lake Superior, Strachan (Miller), 18:42
                            THIRD PERIOD - 7. Maine, Montgomery (Kariya), 4:19; 8. Maine,
                            Montgomery (Kariya, Imes), 7:40; 9. Maine, Montgomery (Kariya),
                            8:54

Comment

Coach Gendron had one of the best first seasons as a head coach of a team in Hockey East, fifth out of 25 coaches, but after five seasons his cumulative record is 18th (up from 21st after four seasons). It was also the first time his cumulative winning percentage rose. Sean
                              Red's first team - arguably his best- was composed 100% of Whitehead recruits...

Comment

More on "25 years later"...

http://www.newscentermaine.com/artic...r/97-534461259

Comment

Working...
                                X