This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers: Boogaloo

Sic's trying to keep his security clearance with Trump...
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      It isn’t required to live at school to earn a degree. Or are you suggesting we should be paying for people’s housing and meals as well?

Here in my area Mass Bay Community College is $212 per credit. Or if you want to go a little more expensive one could commute to Salem State and pay $10,800 per year. If you borrowed it all, you would graduate with roughly the equivalent amount of a car loan.
      When I attended SCSU, my first year of tuition was $5,600/academic year. Per SCSU's site, that same academic year now costs $18,360. Adjusting for inflation figures provided by the Minneapolis Fed, SCSU should cost roughly $9,209/year now. Paying for school is far more difficult for today's youth and their family than it was when I was (or you were) in school.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        No, she doesn't. But keep on concern trolling. You may get a bite someday.
        If she announces she's running I'll take the "Tiger Woods" bet in a heartbeat: I take my name (in this case HRC), you get the field, as the D candidate in 2020.

And frankly, when some of the top contenders are Sanders, Warren, and Biden, HRC fits right in.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          When I attended SCSU, my first year of tuition was $5,600/academic year. Per SCSU's site, that same academic year now costs $18,360. Adjusting for inflation figures provided by the Minneapolis Fed, SCSU should cost roughly $9,209/year now. Paying for school is far more difficult for today's youth and their family than it was when I was (or you were) in school.
          This. And my kids are doing it now not when St. Clown did it. Thanks America.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            This. And my kids are doing it now not when St. Clown did it. Thanks America.
            I don't disagree that for the most part, college costs have gone out of control. Using your numbers though, should the discussion be about "free" college? Or should it be more along the lines of "how do we bring college costs under control so that tuition at a school like SCSU is about $9,200 per year"?

Comment

I don't disagree that for the most part, college costs have gone out of control. Using your numbers though, should the discussion be about "free" college? Or should it be more along the lines of "how do we bring college costs under control so that tuition at a school like SCSU is about $9,200 per year"?
              LOL

Fine. Good luck with that. Give us your proposal.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

LOL

Fine. Good luck with that. Give us your proposal.
                Why is that more laughable than saying that college should be free?

Comment

Basically, higher ed is a business. Every year, it goes like this:

*Raise revenues - seek out more private donations and endowments from individuals and corporations, get more research grants, get more state and federal money, increase tuition

and/or

*Cut expenditures - no more new buildings or renovations, cut research expenditures, cut scholarships, cut faculty, staff, and admin pay, etc. Then, watch as all your best people leave in droves.

Comment

Why is that more laughable than saying that college should be free?
                    It’s not. Trade or community college should be free. But we also need to attack costs from the other side as well.

Tuition is out of control. Time to reign these schools in.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Basically, higher ed is a business. Every year, it goes like this:

*Raise revenues - seek out more private donations and endowments from individuals and corporations, get more research grants, get more state and federal money, increase tuition

and/or

*Cut expenditures - no more new buildings or renovations, cut research expenditures, cut scholarships, cut faculty, staff, and admin pay, etc. Then, watch as all your best people leave in droves.
                      And that's why I laughed. You know it's already been posted in this thread and 100% correct that the States used to pick up a lot of the tab. The reason this is happening more than anything is the Republicans shut that spigot off.

Comment

And that's why I laughed. You know it's already been posted in this thread and 100% correct that the States used to pick up a lot of the tab. The reason this is happening more than anything is the Republicans shut that spigot off.
                        Sorry, but this is just normal ranty barking until you have stats to back it up.

Have the states been decreasing funding proportionally to the increase in tuition? I doubt it.

Fade is 100% correct.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Sorry, but this is just normal ranty barking until you have stats to back it up.

Have the states been decreasing funding proportionally to the increase in tuition? I doubt it.

Fade is 100% correct.
                          Yup. Tuition is up cause schools know they can charge it and want the $$$

They think being an administrator or management allows you the same salary you'd get in a private business. Not a non-profit. Filters down (except of course to the common worker).

When gov hands out money people lose sight of what they pay. Very few students pay full retail.

Same as when health cost jump cause many patients just hand over a $20 co-pay. Hard to roll back prices (unless you is Walmart)
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Fade is 100% correct.
                            Yes, Fade is 100% correct. It's also 100% correct that subsidizing higher education and keeping those workers HERE is good fiscal policy. Giving money away to billionaire's is not. That's the change that has occurred over the years.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              It’s not. Trade or community college should be free. But we also need to attack costs from the other side as well.

Tuition is out of control. Time to reign these schools in.
                              Agree 100%
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Even during the Pawlenty years, the State of MN increased its funding to MnSCU and the U of MN schools at a rate that exceeded inflation. The problem hasn't been funding, the problem has been on the side of the universities, and yes, our culture in general. The demand curve for four-year degrees had been shifting rightward along the supply curve for a long time, starting in the 80s, and continuing until the last five or so years. Rightward shifts in the demand curve always correlate to higher prices. Universities noted that trend and increased their tuition and fees to account for that shift.

While I think colleges and universities take the lion's share of the blame in higher ed. pricing, we've enabled it by pushing the state and federal governments to increase grants and low interest loans. We as a society gave a de facto response that encouraged schools to continue with their pricing behavior. Now society has started to balk, and some (very few) schools have started to respond by finding ways to lower tuition rates.

Funny little story about this. My Senior Thesis professor was the economic department chairman. During one of our 1:1 meetings, he told me about the perverse method of how he's rated by the school for performing his job. His entire rating as chair was based upon reviews given of him to the university by the other professors in the department - the people who report to him. So his job was to do any little thing he can to placate his subordinates, which he then said in a plainer language: it means that his job was to find ways to increase the annual cost of running his department. And he said that almost all the universities where he'd worked were structured the same way.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X