• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers: Boogaloo

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    My favorite headline from today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.230cf2ab46a5

Why do people vote for these clowns? Seriously. The Catholic thing? The Evangelical thing? Really, is that what you want, a government based on your religion. Is that why people vote in ways that are destroying this country from outside and inside?

jfc.
    Chump and the rest of the treasonous money laundering cult are making a high stakes bet that the people screwed by this policy won't vote. Time will tell but all of their policies are meant to appeal to older generally retired whities who most likely aren't dealing with student loans, either for themselves or their kids who are in their 40's by now.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      I don't know how it looks today, but not all German children are permitted access to higher education beyond a trade school or their equivalent of our AA degree. That's how it was in the 90s at least, when your schooling track was dictated by placement tests given in primary schools and later in their versions of high schools - trade school kids were separated into different schools from kids who tested with the ability to attend and be successful at a university. Great Britain pays for everything up to, again our equivalent of, an AA degree, and then it's entirely on the students and their families. That appears to be the most common process through much of the world.

Meh. The German method sounds like a sure fire way for kids with learning disabilities such as dyslexia or ADHD to fall further behind the 8 ball than they already have.... unless Germany has also invested a lot to be sure these kids are identified, receive the proper interventions and are taught properly.

Comment

I think you’d be surprised at what kids with learning disabilities can do with proper support.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          I think you’d be surprised at what kids with learning disabilities can do with proper support.
          Exactly, which (for the most part) they are not getting in the US public school systems. If they are getting the proper support in Germany that’s great, but if not, they are probably getting labeled as not qualified for college of the decision is made by standardized tests.

Comment

Schools aren’t going to be able to provide everything a child needs if they have learning disabilities. That has to come external from schools.

And I don’t see how the German system penalizes kids. It finds areas they are best suited. If kids with learning disabilities can make it, they make it. If they can’t, then they should also find career opportunities that better suit them.

Additionally, we have protections in place for a number of these kinds of situations that could easily be remolded for a new system. On the GRE, if you have certain learning disabilities you can get untimed tests instead of the standard test.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Schools aren’t going to be able to provide everything a child needs if they have learning disabilities. That has to come external from schools.

And I don’t see how the German system penalizes kids. It finds areas they are best suited. If kids with learning disabilities can make it, they make it. If they can’t, then they should also find career opportunities that better suit them.

Additionally, we have protections in place for a number of these kinds of situations that could easily be remolded for a new system. On the GRE, if you have certain learning disabilities you can get untimed tests instead of the standard test.
              That’s just it, IF taught properly most of them can and will “make it”, the problem is if they are labeling some kids as “not as smart” because they haven’t been taught properly.

So this all sounds to me as if the rich kids with learning differences whose parents can afford the needed support will make it, and the poor kids won’t.

Comment

Literally no one said they weren’t as smart.
                Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

So this all sounds to me as if the rich kids with learning differences whose parents can afford the needed support will make it, and the poor kids won’t.
                  Well... the world needs ditch diggers too
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/29/u...mid=fb-nytimes

Great article on Ms. Nixon. Wish I could vote for her.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Restrict what % of tuition can be paid for via loans/grants (scholarships excluded) and you'll see tuition rates drop lest enrollment plummet.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Restrict what % of tuition can be paid for via loans/grants (scholarships excluded) and you'll see tuition rates drop lest enrollment plummet.
                        All that will do is give the rich the upper hand. They have enough of one already.
                        Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 07-30-2018, 04:10 PM.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          All that will do is give the rich the upper hand. They have enough of one already.
                          Maybe, but what if fees were lowered to keep it affordable enough for those that don't have anyone else paying their way?

Say a student has annual tuition of $25k/year all paid via loans. For instance this hypothetical law would restrict the % of the fees the loan can cover to 65%. A lot of students could not afford to pay $8,750 out of pocket and would drop out. To bring back demand say tuition were lowered to $18,000 and now $6,300 OOP becomes more manageable.

I'm just spit-balling numbers here and the idea just came to me. Maybe it's not workable but I tossed it out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Maybe, but what if fees were lowered to keep it affordable enough for those that don't have anyone else paying their way?

Say a student has annual tuition of $25k/year all paid via loans. For instance this hypothetical law would restrict the % of the fees the loan can cover to 65%. A lot of students could not afford to pay $8,750 out of pocket and would drop out. To bring back demand say tuition were lowered to $18,000 and now $6,300 OOP becomes more manageable.

I'm just spit-balling numbers here and the idea just came to me. Maybe it's not workable but I tossed it out there.
                            It's certainly workable, but this would only be feasible if people were willing to stick to it for the long-term. In the short-term is where the blowback would be, people with the gut reaction similar to Scooby's.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

@FoxNews: Warren feeds rumors of 2020 run, says she's not afraid to be 'the underdog' https://fxn.ws/2vjTdHV
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                @FoxNews: Warren feeds rumors of 2020 run, says she's not afraid to be 'the underdog' https://fxn.ws/2vjTdHV
                                joe, you hoping for a Warren fed 49-1 Trump whitewash?
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X