Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Semifinal, Wisconsin versus Colgate

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
    Yeah, thanks for letting Watts get off to a fast start, WCHA. Natural hat trick and back-to-back multi-point games?

Fun fact:

Did you know Vermont and Merrimack increased their average goals per game at Ridder this year?
    Much better....
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
      Fun fact:

Did you know Vermont and Merrimack increased their average goals per game at Ridder this year?
      Merrimack scored 4 goals on 12 shots. But they stopped 5 minutes in to the second period for some reason.

Speaking of fun facts:
      Vermont scored on every even shot through eight shots.
      But they chose not to score on their odd shots for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
        Merrimack scored 4 goals on 12 shots. But they stopped 5 minutes in to the second period for some reason.

Speaking of fun facts:
        Someone is mega bored right now.......
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Hmm, that's odd.

Maybe they were just trying to let the Gophers get even.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Speaking of fun facts:
            Yes, I too have heard the WCHA is a good place to go to inflate stats.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Hmm, that's odd.

Maybe they were just trying to let the Gophers get even.
              Agreed. At first I was divided. Now even I find it odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Someone is mega bored right now.......
                No, just very sad from reliving bad memories................................

Comment

I am on pins and needles waiting for the game tonight. Let's go RED!

Comment

When I've watched Wisconsin, the Badgers have been super aggressive with their forecheck. Particularly against Minnesota, I wondered if they would have to back off a notch if the Gophers had a more-typical roster with players who could burn them. It didn't matter, as UM didn't. Bemidji was able to generate some transition opportunities, but burying pucks isn't really BSU's thing.

Colgate is better offensively than anyone UW has seen, with players that can create and finish two-on-one breaks if a pinch is a step slow. If that happens, then Campbell is going to have to prove worthy of her numbers for Bucky to win.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      When I've watched Wisconsin, the Badgers have been super aggressive with their forecheck. Particularly against Minnesota, I wondered if they would have to back off a notch if the Gophers had a more-typical roster with players who could burn them. It didn't matter, as UM didn't. Bemidji was able to generate some transition opportunities, but burying pucks isn't really BSU's thing.

Colgate is better offensively than anyone UW has seen, with players that can create and finish two-on-one breaks if a pinch is a step slow. If that happens, then Campbell is going to have to prove worthy of her numbers for Bucky to win.
                      There were times over the last few years (not this year) where I thought UW backed off the forecheck against UM too much and were too conservative. Played were playing scared.

I think both teams today will be feeling out what they can get away with through period 1 and if one team pops a couple during the feel out time that could be the difference. Once they get comfortable with each other goals may be hard to come by. The UW players are all talking about getting out of the gate with rockets on their skates. Early penalties may also be critical in establishing flow.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        There were times over the last few years (not this year) where I thought UW backed off the forecheck against UM too much and were too conservative.
                        Typical Wisconsin over the years, even the power teams, would play a fairly vanilla first period, and then they'd ratchet up the pressure in the second, particularly when playing out of conference. This year, they've seemed willing to go harder earlier, and pressure more than trap. I want to see if that holds today.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Colgate has very active Defense who get up into the play and create shots which will put a lot of pressure on the Wisco defense. On the other hand, a quick transition turns that into odd man rushes going the other way. I think this game is decided by whichever team comes out ahead on these plays.

Comment

History can't repeat itself: Colgate men lost to Wisconsin in 1990 for the Men's NCAA Championship

I attended that game at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. Colgate lost that game and several dismal years of performance followed. In contrast, we, among the' Gate diehard have been witnessing a unique set of citcumstances with the women's program over the past few years--potentially becoming an anomaly in 'Gate athletic history. A little bit of current history provides perspective.

The confluence of: 1. Upon hiring 6 years ago, Coach Fargo & Co.’s introduced a vision for a moribund program and has demonstrated an ability to develop/execute it step-by-step 2. the completion of the 40 mill. Class of ’65 Arena for the 2016-17 season became a physical embodiment of the vision 3.securing the buy-in of the elite players who embraced the opportunity as a mission ( Today's Seniors won 7 games as Freshmen ).

The confluence of these circumstances landing an athletic program in an NCAA Final Four is "cinderella-esque." I'd love to win this game. But, regardless of the results this weekend, "I'm good". Post mortems on subjects like " goalie Vandyk's performance against elite competition" ( or whatever else gets your attention ) will fade into dust for me. The real payoff for me lies in watching how the ‘Gate WIH ptogram skillfully leverages the elements of the success of the past 3 years into a catalyst for continued growth. That would be a pattern much different than what followed the Colgate men's Final Four appearance against the Badgers in 1990.

Sorry to diverge from purely technical "hockey talk."
                            Last edited by Raider Archivist; 03-16-2018, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I'm waiting to see how Colgate does with something that Minnesota never figured out: you're better off with a slightly disorganized breakout than giving the Badger forecheck time to set up.

Comment

Shaver just left injured.

Comment

Working...
                                X