Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Semifinal, Wisconsin versus Colgate

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
    we saw how well those kind of stats played out for BC, comparing stats from one conference to the next is apples to banana's
    there are a lot of good teams in the ECAC, but there are also some really crappy ones

Wisco has no superstar(s) for the rest of the team to lean on, everyone just does their job, which makes them tough to beat
    The WCHA is also very top-heavy. There are really only 3 bottom-feeders left in the ECAC, 4 if you count RPI, but they have a really outstanding goaltender that has kept them competitive against most of the league, even if they aren't getting wins. The WCHA has 2 really crappy teams at the bottom and in the smaller league, the other WCHA teams get to play them twice as often.

The WCHA's top 4 (UW, UMTC, tOSU, and Duluth) are comparable talent-wise to the ECAC's top 4 (Clarkson, SLU, Colgate, and *******). The teams in the middle of the ECAC are not slouches by any means. The bottom is also very similar.
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
    7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
      The WCHA has 2 really crappy teams at the bottom.
      I disagree that they are really crappy after seeing them in person. 3 to 4 years ago, yeah they were really crappy, but they are getting better players and the chasm that was between 1 and 8 is now a river that can be crossed. Kato and St. Cloud put up more of a fight than UM did last weekend.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

The WCHA has 2 really crappy teams at the bottom and in the smaller league, the other WCHA teams get to play them twice as often.

The WCHA's top 4 (UW, UMTC, tOSU, and Duluth) are comparable talent-wise to the ECAC's top 4 (Clarkson, SLU, Colgate, and *******). The teams in the middle of the ECAC are not slouches by any means. The bottom is also very similar.
        St. Cloud struggles to score, but it is a good-skating team. There was very little separation between Duluth and Bemidji this year. The Beavers are a very dangerous team any time they can get a lead, because they are very frustrating to play when trying to mount a comeback. Neither team had their usual level of goaltending this season, but I expect both to be improved in that regard next year.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          I disagree that they are really crappy after seeing them in person. 3 to 4 years ago, yeah they were really crappy, but they are getting better players and the chasm that was between 1 and 8 is now a river that can be crossed. Kato and St. Cloud put up more of a fight than UM did last weekend.
          I will take your word on St Cloud. If you remove the Div II teams from the Pairwise the Bottom 5 are

30 Union
          31 Dartmouth
          32 Minnesota State
          33 Brown
          34 RIT

Union is much improved and I would not call them crappy. Dartmouth and Brown I have watched them and I will say that they are "crappy". Never saw Minn State play so have no comment on them. RIT I think their record says it all, (4-28-3) hold your nose.
          Last edited by vicb; 03-14-2018, 10:10 AM.
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
            Union is much improved and I would not call them crappy. Dartmouth and Brown I have watched them and I will say that they are "crappy". Never saw Minn State play so have no comment on them. RIT I think their record says it all, (4-28-3) hold your nose.
            Minn State had a win this year against one of the teams playing on Friday.

Comment

I will take your word on St Cloud. If you remove the Div II teams from the Pairwise the Bottom 5 are

30 Union
              31 Dartmouth
              32 Minnesota State
              33 Brown
              34 RIT

Union had a tie against Cornell, something you never would have even considered 2 years ago.
              Clarkson Golden Knights Men
              10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
              5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
              21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
              ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
              ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
              7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
              National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

The WCHA has 2 really crappy teams at the bottom and in the smaller league, the other WCHA teams get to play them twice as often.
                and that's one of the reasons you don't see as much scoring as in the ECAC or HE, the teams know each other well, and know how to play each other to give a good chance of winning,

with fewer teams in the league they play each other more , there are few secrets and those that there are don't last long

the question was can statistics (Colgat having one more scorer with 20 pts or whatever it was) be used to predict the outcome of the semi final?
                NO!

whether Mankato is better or worse than Dartmouth or Brown is immaterial

Comment

30 Union
                  31 Dartmouth
                  32 Minnesota State
                  33 Brown
                  34 RIT

And RIT is a D3 Play Up, just like us.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Kato and St. Cloud put up more of a fight than UM did last weekend.
                    UM did the same thing 2nd game in Columbus against OSU. Painful and ho*ribly b*d.

Mankato played some pretty good games this year and St Cloud is just not crappy.

Comment

and that's one of the reasons you don't see as much scoring as in the ECAC or HE, the teams know each other well, and know how to play each other to give a good chance of winning,

with fewer teams in the league they play each other more , there are few secrets and those that there are don't last long
                      That must be a new thing because scoring at Minnesota and Wisconsin is down quite a bit this year from 2016-2017 and 2015-2016.

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
                        That must be a new thing because scoring at Minnesota and Wisconsin is down quite a bit this year from 2016-2017 and 2015-2016.
                        Hmmm...I could probably get some inspiration as to why the scoring is down as I eat some "Korean" BBQ tacos tonight.
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                          Hmmm...I could probably get some inspiration as to why the scoring is down as I eat some "Korean" BBQ tacos tonight.
                          Wrong. Your inspiration would be contrary to the Pokey theory:

Low goal scoring in the WCHA is caused by the WCHA coaches having to coach four to six times against Mankato.

Comment

Low goal scoring in the WCHA is caused by the WCHA coaches having to coach four to six times against Mankato.
                            nice try nimrod, the style of play has changed in the past few years, and the officiating has enabled it

ask BC about how easy it is to score in the WCHA

Comment

You should probably stick to selective statistics. That seems to be your best stuff. Quoting Pokey theories...Not so much.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

ask BC about how easy it is to score in the WCHA
                                Yeah, thanks for letting Watts get off to a fast start, WCHA. Natural hat trick and back-to-back multi-point games?

Fun fact:

Did you know Vermont and Merrimack increased their average goals per game at Ridder this year?

Comment

Working...
                                X