Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA Semifinal, Clarkson vs the Ohio State University.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCAA Semifinal, Clarkson vs the Ohio State University.

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    If not for the called penalty Ohio State's disallowed goal may well have been the game winner.
    I missed the penalty completely live. Afterwards on TV, it was hard to tell because they put circles around the players and it took it a little out of context. But I thought that was a very unfortunate call from the Buckeyes point of view. Very iffy.

That was a great game. I was rooting for them hard and I wish OSU would have rewarded me...oh well

Congratulations to Clarkson!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
      I missed the penalty completely live. Afterwards on TV, it was hard to tell because they put circles around the players and it took it a little out of context. But I thought that was a very unfortunate call from the Buckeyes point of view. Very iffy.

That was a great game. I was rooting for them hard and I wish OSU would have rewarded me...oh well

Congratulations to Clarkson!
      To me it looked like they were both jockeying for position, from there it's a matter of perspective on if the OSU player pushed the other girl down or had her arms up as a buffer to the contact. I'm sure if the Clarkson girl hadn't gone down there would have been no call. It wasn't a blatantly bad call, just one that could have gone either way.
      BTW, you're temporary fandom is much appreciated!
      Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-17-2018, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Post game conference is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04pf...ature=youtu.be.

Clarkson then Ohio State.
        Really like the intensity TOSU coach had in her remarks. TOSU is gonna be some force to reckon with from here on with her as the coach.
        Last edited by vicb; 03-17-2018, 11:40 AM.
        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          If OSU's second post (occurred during the third period) would have gone in to eventually win the game
          That was in OT (I'm sure because it happened at the net in front of me, which OSU shot at in Period 2 and OT), so it would have won the game rather quickly had it been two inches to the right.
          Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          Again, does anyone know if Gabel's shot went in off the post?
          No post, straight in.

And people can put the goal on Sadek rushing, but that is how OSU had played all game, and from what I saw, all season. The problem this time is that the forward who should have had Gabel didn't take off right away to back check. Maybe Gabel, with her speed, would have gotten by her eventually, but you can't give her extra strides. The legs aren't the only thing to slow down as the number of shifts mount.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post

Really like the intensity TOSU coach had in her remarks. TOSU is gonna be some force to reckon with from here on.
            I hope the same can be said for our men's program. Leaving now for Notre Dame to watch the OSU men playing for the B1G title tonight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              I hope the same can be said for our men's program. Leaving now for Notre Dame to watch the OSU men playing for the B1G title tonight!
              Good luck!
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                I'm sure if the Clarkson girl hadn't gone down there would have been no call.
                I was wondering if Field (who Muzerall in her post game comments called "stronger and bigger") had been the one to go down if the referee would have called the penalty on Clarkson.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                  I missed the penalty completely live. Afterwards on TV, it was hard to tell because they put circles around the players and it took it a little out of context. But I thought that was a very unfortunate call from the Buckeyes point of view. Very iffy
                  It seems to me it was a pretty late whistle on the Dunne no-goal, as if the ref wondered ‘well, if the Clarkson player had kept her feet, and did see Dunne, and did decide to go for the block, and the block was successful, then there’d be no goal.’ A lot of ifs. These goals that appear to be simultaneous with penalties are the ultimate gray area, I know, but I didn’t catch much simultaneity here. But Kelley and Watrous didn’t have much to say, and Muzzerall’s head shake wasn’t much of a protest, so I guess ‘no goal.’

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                    Congratulations to the ladies on both sides for providing us with an entertaining game. Having only seen OSU twice this year, I honestly didn't think they could play that aggressive and stay in the game but they proved me wrong. A post here, a pass a little more on a stick there and either team could have won in regulation. I was particularly impressed with how strong OSU was on the puck. It's not often you see teams strong enough with the puck to work through the Clarkson defense and they did so regularly.
                    Right back at you! I literally had the same thought about the Clarkson players, meaning how strong they were on the puck. Last night we lost some one-on-one battles we're used to winning. While we won our share, it was only our share. Obviously both teams were well conditioned and well prepared.

Congratulations to OSU on a great season. Although the selfish part of me likes to keep the sport small enough for the little schools to flourish, having a big school like OSU on the national stage is good for the sport. Your ladies and their coaching staff have definitely made their mark and the future is bright.
                    At the big schools, hockey is a small community within the larger whole. The experience is more similar than you might imagine. It's not like B1G Football, where everyone in the city is a casual fan of the program.

Will the OSU brand name bring more casual fans to our sport? Maybe a few. But at the end of the day, the community is going to consist primarily of devoted hockey people, regardless of school size.

Originally posted by vicb View Post

Really like the intensity TOSU coach had in her remarks. TOSU is gonna be some force to reckon with from here on with her as the coach.
                    Appreciate the link. The press conferences were a must-see on my "morning after," and you made it easy.

Both schools are represented by players & coaches of the highest caliber, to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                      It seems to me it was a pretty late whistle on the Dunne no-goal ...
                      The ref's arm went up before the puck got back to Dunne, but he didn't blow the whistle until she took the shot, so the call looked later than it was.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        The ref's arm went up before the puck got back to Dunne, but he didn't blow the whistle until she took the shot, so the call looked later than it was.
                        Thanks. Could/did not see that on the stream.

Comment

• Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                          Thanks. Could/did not see that on the stream.
                          Still looked like a good goal with a lousy call. I feel for OSU. That was the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                            Still looked like a good goal with a lousy call.
                            But not a late call. As for lousy, refs are funny. They'll let a puck carrier get absolutely obliterated on a check, but then they'll call much less of a bump interference. It's almost like they want to demonstrate that they know pick plays aren't legal. Perhaps they don't know that neither is checking.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              But not a late call. As for lousy, refs are funny. They'll let a puck carrier get absolutely obliterated on a check, but then they'll call much less of a bump interference. It's almost like they want to demonstrate that they know pick plays aren't legal. Perhaps they don't know that neither is checking.
                              Based on yesterdays Colgate - Wisconsin game I don't believe those referees have read the manual on body checking. Wow, I've seen some physical Clarkson women's games but nothing as physical as that Gate-Wisco game last night.
                              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                The D rushing the puck into the O zone costs OSU the game.
                                Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                Yup, that was on Sadek, I believe.
                                Need to dissent here. I definitely get where you guys are coming from. I remember the whole play vividly, and you do have the right "suspect." But I'm granting Dani clemency.

There was nothing wrong with trying to create an odd-man rush. Yes, the centering pass should not have been attempted. The back-checking Clarkson forward had completely shut down the passing lane.

But this was a case of outstanding back-checking winning the game. Somehow the Golden Knights' back-checking effort kept getting stronger as the OT went on, even as fatigue must have been setting in. The Clarkson OT game plan harnessed their talent perfectly.

If it's really necessary to establish fault for losing the game, I'm pointing to the 3rd Period. Building on Eeyore's point, we needed to score in regulation time during the stretches where we had the upper hand. There must have been a half dozen Buckeyes who could have scored with slightly better marksmanship or slightly more puck luck.

This was the narrowest loss one can imagine. And it was a team loss. No need for goat horns.

Comment

Working...
                                X