Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Holding court

Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Rossi has turned into the real deal with Newgarden as well. At this point both of these guys are destroying Andretti and Rahal. I hope we see a rivalry develop between Rossi and JoNew.
    I've been saying it for a while, these two are going to be competing for the championship for the next 10+ years. Rossi is absolutely the real deal. Actually, my kid has been saying this from Day 1 when he came over to Indycar... I was a doubter. Andretti Autosport locking him up in the offseason was big, I was hoping Ganassi would grab him for the #10 car and we'd have a continued Chip vs Roger rivalry for a long time but this puts Andretti very much in the mix with them for a long time and somewhat downgrades CGR. Rossi plus all of AA being absolutely beastly in the Indy 500 really makes things interesting.

Hondas have been looking strong early on in the season.

I really can't stand this closed pits yellow thing although I'm still trying to get a good handle on the ins and outs of it. Absolutely dicked Bourdais and Dixon who should have been top 4. The totality of the post-race comments from Seabass just made my week calling everyone an idiot. Dude cracks me up.

How about Zach Veach finishing 4th. Dude looked like he won the race he was so happy. Nice kid that has worked hard.
    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 04-18-2018 at 02:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    I've been saying it for a while, these two are going to be competing for the championship for the next 10+ years. Rossi is absolutely the real deal. Actually, my kid has been saying this from Day 1 when he came over to Indycar... I was a doubter. Andretti Autosport locking him up in the offseason was big, I was hoping Ganassi would grab him for the #10 car and we'd have a continued Chip vs Roger rivalry for a long time but this puts Andretti very much in the mix with them for a long time and somewhat downgrades CGR. Rossi plus all of AA being absolutely beastly in the Indy 500 really makes things interesting.

Hondas have been looking strong early on in the season.

I really can't stand this closed pits yellow thing although I'm still trying to get a good handle on the ins and outs of it. Absolutely dicked Bourdais and Dixon who should have been top 4. The totality of the post-race comments from Seabass just made my week calling everyone an idiot. Dude cracks me up.

How about Zach Veach finishing 4th. Dude looked like he won the race he was so happy. Nice kid that has worked hard.
    Yes! I think Indy needs a rivalry as much if not even more than the nbc contract. Robin Millerís recent mailbag contained an interesting thought... a Rossi vs Newgarden rivalry would be great, but perhaps better if theyíre on the same team? Pure speculation but I would suspect the Captain has his eyes on Rossi now.

I donít know much about Veach, I was honestly hoping Brabham would move up for that spot but effing INDYCAR sponsorship money is so thin.

Still upright

Pretty interesting commentary on the state of the F1 engine formula. I'd like to see it be cheaper to make .
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/43801377
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Pretty interesting commentary on the state of the F1 engine formula. I'd like to see it be cheaper to make .
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/43801377
    I laugh every time Fiat comes up with the idea that Ferrari will go someplace else. Where, exactly? It's not as if they've not caved every single time a new engine formula comes up. Seems like they are worried about their Ferrari Bonus.

It will be interesting if the 4 really want to keep it as complicated as they do... No new engines that way.

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    I laugh every time Fiat comes up with the idea that Ferrari will go someplace else. Where, exactly? It's not as if they've not caved every single time a new engine formula comes up. Seems like they are worried about their Ferrari Bonus.
    It's always about the money!
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Still upright

I thought the indy this week was decent. The fastest guy won, it's too bad it had to be on a monday. Those guys did a great job preparing that car. It was killer!.

Just a boring user.

This Baku race is interesting for a circuit where you can both pass and there's a very high chance for a SC.

Why does F1 allow drivers to move defensively on straights? They could have killed Webber in 2010 and now Verstappen pulls the boneheaded move. Schumacher did this continually throughout his career. Itís dangerous and should be penalized each time.

INDYCAR has this nailed

Just a boring user.

They generally don't allow double moves. I'm sure that incident will be reviewed, but I bet that the penalty is a time delay, which is moot since both cars crashed out.

Fun to see Vettel out brake himself off the podium. Terrible to see Bottas hit debris and throw a win away. And interesting to see that the only truly happy podium person was 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Why does F1 allow drivers to move defensively on straights? They could have killed Webber in 2010 and now Verstappen pulls the boneheaded move. Schumacher did this continually throughout his career. It’s dangerous and should be penalized each time.

INDYCAR has this nailed
    Technically, they don't. But when was the last time the FIA followed their own rules...?

Vettel and Raikkonen complained about Verstappen doing this the last two years, and the FIA did nothing. The FIA gave both drivers "reprimands" this time around. Big whoop. I suspect they did that because they were teammates and figured Red Bull would deal with it internally. However, no doubt Verstappen was in the wrong and should have gotten points on his license, which would have put him very close to an automatic suspension. The question is, will he ever get it?
    Russell Jaslow

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Technically, they don't. But when was the last time the FIA followed their own rules...?

Vettel and Raikkonen complained about Verstappen doing this the last two years, and the FIA did nothing. The FIA gave both drivers "reprimands" this time around. Big whoop. I suspect they did that because they were teammates and figured Red Bull would deal with it internally. However, no doubt Verstappen was in the wrong and should have gotten points on his license, which would have put him very close to an automatic suspension. The question is, will he ever get it?
    I think it's questionable if he ever gets it. The only way might be to get someone hurt.
    I'm not a fan of his and have never been. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year, but it's past that stage by a long shot.. You have to wonder if he will be employed next season.

in other news, I'm down to three cars in my quest for a new one. I've visited one and have two more to visit this coming week. Decision in about two weeks. Also we are considering re-visiting the Roadhog project for next year. It would have to run in Post Club Ford, but I could use the track time. If anyone is in the mood there is a super nice LeGrand mk 21 in San Francisco on the market and it has won 8 of the last 9 it entered.

Still upright

My cousin already has a bed reserved for me. :-)

Robert Wickens is a kick *** driver. I hope heís rewarded with a couple of wins this year.

Just a boring user.

What goes around comes around. Ferrari used a VSC to lose a 2nd place finish.

Still upright

What goes around comes around. Ferrari used a VSC to lose a 2nd place finish.
    Hamilton totally dominant and no one out there seems to be gaining. Might be the same show in Monaco.
    I don't know if you saw it, but Ericksson did the same thing this week that Verstappen did last week. No one said anything as there was no wreck.

Just a boring user.

Hamilton totally dominant and no one out there seems to be gaining. Might be the same show in Monaco.
    I don't know if you saw it, but Ericksson did the same thing this week that Verstappen did last week. No one said anything as there was no wreck.
    I think I know the pass you are talking about- Marcus didn't go ALL the way in front of whoever he was passing, but no question it was a double move. Unless they really think that the inside driver gets the track all the way out to the normal line- which is kind of dumb.

Even with that stupid move, it's safe to say that Sauber is out performing their expectations by a long way. Which is pretty nice to see, as they are doing a handful of aero things other teams are not.

Still upright

I think I know the pass you are talking about- Marcus didn't go ALL the way in front of whoever he was passing, but no question it was a double move. Unless they really think that the inside driver gets the track all the way out to the normal line- which is kind of dumb.

Even with that stupid move, it's safe to say that Sauber is out performing their expectations by a long way. Which is pretty nice to see, as they are doing a handful of aero things other teams are not.
    It's the best and most interesting F1 season in years!

A guy i know yesterday was run head on into a bridge abutment in a FC by a guy trying to jump the start on the pace lap. He survived with only a broken leg, but the car is a write off.

The commentators were very explicit that Ericsson didn't do anything wrong. Here is the reasoning they gave -- they claim you can make a move under braking back towards the line as long as you leave one car width between you and the edge of the track (I may not agree with that rule, but if it does exist, then he did nothing wrong). Ericsson clearly left one car width (something Verstappen never did against Ricciardo). And in fact, the other driver did take that space as he tried to pass around the outside.
    Russell Jaslow

Thread Information