Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Boring race. No pass for the lead and I think Will Power is as annoying as Vettel.

Too bad Helio and TK crashed out.

Good to see Ricciardo win Monaco.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      Boring race. No pass for the lead and I think Will Power is as annoying as Vettel.

Too bad Helio and TK crashed out.

Both races were pretty boring- for Ricciardo to have that bad of a problem, and Vettel not ever being even close to try a pass says a lot. Kind of a bummer that there's zero real chance of passing there.

Indy was odd that so many struggled with the set up. Lots of crashes from people you would not expect that from- it was more like F1 where following was such a big aero problem that one had to be significantly faster. It was interesting to see some of the drivers see if there would be an immediate restart yellow at the end- as they lost a lot more places pitting under green than had they done the same under yellow. Almost.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Both races were pretty boring- for Ricciardo to have that bad of a problem, and Vettel not ever being even close to try a pass says a lot. Kind of a bummer that there's zero real chance of passing there.

Indy was odd that so many struggled with the set up. Lots of crashes from people you would not expect that from- it was more like F1 where following was such a big aero problem that one had to be significantly faster. It was interesting to see some of the drivers see if there would be an immediate restart yellow at the end- as they lost a lot more places pitting under green than had they done the same under yellow. Almost.
        Well it's so hard to pass in both those races. I think Detroit will be a lot of fun to watch.

I've been bummed by how slow Williams is and how in jeopardy their future is if they don't get the car straight pretty quick.
        I'd certainly like to see them do better.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

True. But read this: http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...er-comparisons and you'll really appreciate what Ricciardo had to go through.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I've met Will Power a few times. And I knew his wife (she was a PR rep for various teams) before she married him. And he's a pretty cool guy. But, I know what you mean.

But, you have to admit his double finger salute to the race steward at New Hampshire was a thing of beauty...

Too bad Helio crashed out.
            Nope. Not too bad at all.

Absolutely.
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              True. But read this: http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...er-comparisons and you'll really appreciate what Ricciardo had to go through.
              I very much appreciate what Daniel did. It's what didn't happen behind him that sucks. The rest of the field had a pretty boring race- no point in taking a chance on super fast tires, as there's no point.

Comment

I very much appreciate what Daniel did. It's what didn't happen behind him that sucks. The rest of the field had a pretty boring race- no point in taking a chance on super fast tires, as there's no point.
                It's not just Monaco that is boring. The passing opportunities are becoming much more rare. Hungary has very few for instance, F1 has been a procession on more than one occasion.. Having said that, most places Daniel would have finished about 8th.
                I think Canada will be a good race but again, not a lot of passing.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  It's not just Monaco that is boring. The passing opportunities are becoming much more rare. Hungary has very few for instance, F1 has been a procession on more than one occasion.. Having said that, most places Daniel would have finished about 8th.
                  I think Canada will be a good race but again, not a lot of passing.
                  Had that happened on any other track, he would have been pretty easily passed, including Hungary. And IMHO, the chance for cars that closed only to reach another car- and wipe out their tires.... etc. where they could change to the stickiest tires at the end- they would have at least tried. It was funny how there was speculation that someone would try, until Ocon closed the gap enough that you would have lost another spot.... Then we saw Ocon close on the leaders.

Don't get me wrong- I'd still LOVE to go to Monaco and see a race, but I just wish it was an actual race.

Comment

Had that happened on any other track, he would have been pretty easily passed, including Hungary. And IMHO, the chance for cars that closed only to reach another car- and wipe out their tires.... etc. where they could change to the stickiest tires at the end- they would have at least tried. It was funny how there was speculation that someone would try, until Ocon closed the gap enough that you would have lost another spot.... Then we saw Ocon close on the leaders.

Don't get me wrong- I'd still LOVE to go to Monaco and see a race, but I just wish it was an actual race.
                    You don't go to Monaco to see a race. You go to see the unbelievable talent it takes to keep these cars between the walls. And of course, the spectacle...

As for Ricciardo, had that happened on any other track, they would have withdrawn the car. As you say, he would have dropped way back, and then the risk of serious damage to the engine would no longer be worth it.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      You don't go to Monaco to see a race. You go to see the unbelievable talent
                      Last edited by Kepler; 05-29-2018, 09:15 AM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Had to be Will Power. Not a fan of his to be honest. Friggin clown yells "show me some MFing respect" as he crossed the bricks. Great driver, don't get me wrong.

Anyway, I think there was some struggle with the new aero kits... less downforce caused some guys to get into the wall. James Davison was a gd disaster and should have been pulled off the effing track. The way Sato collided with him reminded me of Dixon hitting the left rear tire of Howard last year and going for a short flight. I don't know why race control didn't park him it was only a matter of time. Just glad someone did get killed (also Davison is the jagoff that talked crap about Hinch on Bump Day). Really bummed to see Karam have something break on his car, not a driver error and he was up to something like 6th or 7th. Rossi was doing flat out absurd things in that car; I thought he was going to win. I had picked TK and he looked great until he had a tire puncture; just ruined his day. Story of the day for me was actually Wilson getting up to the front. Heartbreaking seeing him head to the pits but he did a fantastic job and would have won if he caught a yellow up front. Would have been one unbelievable story.

Lastly, found it very interesting that Alonso was tweeting quite a bit on Sunday afternoon and it was all pro-Indy and had some commentary on Rossi's insane drive. I believe he'll be back in Indy for 2019. I believe Helio will get one last shot too. I'm gearing up for another road trip out there next May.
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          Had to be Will Power. Not a fan of his to be honest. Friggin clown yells "show me some MFing respect" as he crossed the bricks. Great driver, don't get me wrong.

Anyway, I think there was some struggle with the new aero kits... less downforce caused some guys to get into the wall. James Davison was a gd disaster and should have been pulled off the effing track. The way Sato collided with him reminded me of Dixon hitting the left rear tire of Howard last year and going for a short flight. I don't know why race control didn't park him it was only a matter of time. Just glad someone did get killed (also Davison is the jagoff that talked crap about Hinch on Bump Day). Really bummed to see Karam have something break on his car, not a driver error and he was up to something like 6th or 7th. Rossi was doing flat out absurd things in that car; I thought he was going to win. I had picked TK and he looked great until he had a tire puncture; just ruined his day. Story of the day for me was actually Wilson getting up to the front. Heartbreaking seeing him head to the pits but he did a fantastic job and would have won if he caught a yellow up front. Would have been one unbelievable story.

Lastly, found it very interesting that Alonso was tweeting quite a bit on Sunday afternoon and it was all pro-Indy and had some commentary on Rossi's insane drive. I believe he'll be back in Indy for 2019. I believe Helio will get one last shot too. I'm gearing up for another road trip out there next May.
                          Yeah, Davison and some of the other field fillers are just trainwrecks.

I saw Alonso’s posts and comparing them too his comments on Monaco and the rumor McLaren will partner with Andretti for a full season in 2019 this could bevFernando tipping his hand for future plans.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Wait, there was a race???🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              But they were not grid girls, because they did not hold up the number boards. So, F1 was not being hypocritical...
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Lots of empty seats at Indy...yikes
                                I think as the race wore on, people were seeking some respite from the sun and heat. At the beginning of the race there were more people in the north grandstands (or anywhere in the sun). Indy claimed it was a bigger crowd than 2015 or last year. Certainly not on a par with 2016, though. When it is in the low 90s those grandstands are just brutal. My sister suffered a pretty serious case of heat exhaustion at the 400 there in the early 2000s when the air temp was supposedly upper 80s.

Comment

Working...
                                X