Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    I think as the race wore on, people were seeking some respite from the sun and heat. At the beginning of the race there were more people in the north grandstands (or anywhere in the sun). Indy claimed it was a bigger crowd than 2015 or last year. Certainly not on a par with 2016, though. When it is in the low 90s those grandstands are just brutal. My sister suffered a pretty serious case of heat exhaustion at the 400 there in the early 2000s when the air temp was supposedly upper 80s.
    Agreed. It was claimed to be another fantastic crowd supporting the claim of an Indy500 revival of sorts. TV numbers went down again though - even with Danica!
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
      I think as the race wore on, people were seeking some respite from the sun and heat. At the beginning of the race there were more people in the north grandstands (or anywhere in the sun). Indy claimed it was a bigger crowd than 2015 or last year. Certainly not on a par with 2016, though. When it is in the low 90s those grandstands are just brutal. My sister suffered a pretty serious case of heat exhaustion at the 400 there in the early 2000s when the air temp was supposedly upper 80s.
      When the race started, the crowd did look better than last year which had large areas of empty seats. But certainly still not full and not as good as 2016.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Ticket sales for Detroit are up 18 % year over year.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          Ticket sales for Detroit are up 18 % year over year.
          Crazy. I wonder how they manage that when it seems like such a boring race.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Not a surprise???

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/05/31/...id=Social-WWOS
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Not surprised at all. There's been various moves lately which suggests something afoot. And no doubt, Alonso has given up on McLaren's ability to build a winning F1 car (it wasn't all Honda after all) ... and he has nowhere else to go (mainly because nobody wants him with his team upsetting personality).

If he does switch to Indy cars in 2019, he will probably have a difficult time finishing out the WEC super season.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                When the race started, the crowd did look better than last year which had large areas of empty seats. But certainly still not full and not as good as 2016.
                Yes, not as good as 2016, but some long time observers say the 2016 crowd may have been one of, if not THE, biggest ever. The numbers often quoted from the 70s and 80s are now believed to be mostly wildly over inflated and done for PR purposes as much as anything.

There are more grandstand seats now than in the 70s and 80s as well, although there are fewer than the the 257,000 there were at the height of the Brickyard 400's popularity, about 235,000 today. When ABC used to say there were more than 400,000 present, as they did frequently in the 80s, that meant there had to be more than 200,000 in the infield, something that Indy officials admit privately was never the case.

The 2016 race sold out every seat, the 235,000 permanent ones, as well as the temporary seats set up in the infield. The general admission crowd in the infield may not have been as big as it was during it's heyday, but it was not just a small fraction of it either. The 2016 race had a truly historic crowd.

Comment

McLaren is getting serious about INDYCAR. Zak Brown and Gil de Ferran will meet with prospective partners in Detroit this weekend.

Meanwhile, with Scuderia Corsa wanting to ramp up their involvement comes this little nugget per racer.com: Ferrari boss Marrichone (sp?) was at the 500 and rumors say it wasn’t just to enjoy the race.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                    McLaren is getting serious about INDYCAR. Zak Brown and Gil de Ferran will meet with prospective partners in Detroit this weekend.

Meanwhile, with Scuderia Corsa wanting to ramp up their involvement comes this little nugget per racer.com: Ferrari boss Marrichone (sp?) was at the 500 and rumors say it wasn’t just to enjoy the race.
                    Marrchione is FCA's entire boss, so it could be a way to expand Fiat-Chrysler's racing into Indy car- and there is at least history for Maserati at the Brick Yard. Otherwise, I would put it at a pretty weak threat to walk away. Ferrari has already shown that they will invest millions of dollars to get more money out of Formula One by making them think they will leave to CART. The stance of each formula is very different now than in the late 90's, so I'd totally call their bluff if it's fully about F1.

I don't understand why McLaren needs a distraction like Indycar. Unless they just HAVE to keep Alonso on their payroll. In the history of the two series, there was a short period where a car maker could field competitive cars in both series. And that time was 40 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      Marrchione is FCA's entire boss, so it could be a way to expand Fiat-Chrysler's racing into Indy car- and there is at least history for Maserati at the Brick Yard. Otherwise, I would put it at a pretty weak threat to walk away. Ferrari has already shown that they will invest millions of dollars to get more money out of Formula One by making them think they will leave to CART. The stance of each formula is very different now than in the late 90's, so I'd totally call their bluff if it's fully about F1.

I don't understand why McLaren needs a distraction like Indycar. Unless they just HAVE to keep Alonso on their payroll. In the history of the two series, there was a short period where a car maker could field competitive cars in both series. And that time was 40 years ago.
                      I know Enzo wanted a car at INDY but it never came to fruition. Regardless of what comes of those talks, if it results in a new engine manufacturer that’s great news.

...If I was in F1 i’d be ****ed at Ferarri’s Almost annual Brett Favre-esque threats to leave. Red Bull and Mercedes should tell em’ “Leave, see ya”

Re: McLaren... tough to say what the ultimate goal is. Permanent Indycar presence and eventually moving from satellite to their own team? Just farming Alonso for 2 years until they have F1 in order? Or are they in danger of becoming like Williams and Indy is a way to get back to winning quicker?

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        I know Enzo wanted a car at INDY but it never came to fruition. Regardless of what comes of those talks, if it results in a new engine manufacturer that’s great news.

...If I was in F1 i’d be ****ed at Ferarri’s Almost annual Brett Favre-esque threats to leave. Red Bull and Mercedes should tell em’ “Leave, see ya”

Re: McLaren... tough to say what the ultimate goal is. Permanent Indycar presence and eventually moving from satellite to their own team? Just farming Alonso for 2 years until they have F1 in order? Or are they in danger of becoming like Williams and Indy is a way to get back to winning quicker?
                        I saw Enzo's "want" as blackmail to get more stuff. The engine did come to fruition- and was re-badged Alfa Romeo. As for current engines and "image"- what Indycar has and can help FCA is more for Alfa or Maserati. Ferrari needs no help here in the US. At least how I see it. It would be interesting to see a third engine, and even better if they got more car makers. But I would 100% separate the chassis from the engine in terms of branding it. Just like in CART where you had March, Lola, Reynard, Penske, etc and Cosworth, Ilmore, Mercedes, Honda, etc. You could mix and match to your budget. But that is for a different thread.

Comment

The indy race today was quite good. Plenty of passing. Scott Dixon had his car set up really stiff. It helped and his tires did not go off like most people's did. Plenty to do, lots of people, and a great day for racing. I was surprised how much negative camber the teams had in the front end. Even by eye you could see it.
                          A couple of the teams were still working on the set up only 1/2 hour before the race. that's not normally good.

We'll see what is going to happen tomorrow.
                          Oh and Wickens was on the rev limiter quite a bit. He was a lot faster than his finishing place but he didn't sheppard his tires and they went off very quickly. He was lucky he wasn't passed at the end there.
                          Last edited by manurespreader; 06-02-2018, 08:18 PM.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Well, that was effective advertising for the ZR1...

In that guy's defense, that monstrosity will roast the tires if you look at it funny.
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

In that guy's defense, that monstrosity will roast the tires if you look at it funny.
                              It would be really funny if sales dropped because it's clearly too much car for most drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

That was something else. Surprised they are ok, that was some serious force they hit the wall with and you could see their heads go flying forward briefly. Also surprised the driver was not wearing a helmet/HANS. When I went out on my hot lap at Pocono we were all required to do so.

Happy for RHR. Amazing that his last win was 2015 Pocono and he never really had a chance to enjoy that with the death of his teammate (at the time he was alive but it was grave news).

Also good to see Dixon get on the board. The championship race is tightening up! Rossi really blew it, he was warned to think big picture and really left a ton of points on the table there. HUGE championship implications with his mistake.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X