Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hockey East Semi's and Finals

Hockey East Semi's and Finals

We had some close games but ultimately ended up with chalk this weekend. BU/BC at 5 and NU/PC at 8 on Friday. BC and BU spilt their series this year and PC took 3 points off of NU during their weekend series. Any of the 4 teams winning the title really wouldn't surprise me, should be fun.
    2016 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

#GaudetteForHo8ey

Re: Hockey East Semi's and Finals

Does anyone know for sure what the determining factor is for when each game is played? It's not #1 seed choice because there have been examples of #1 seed playing late game. And it's not "brand matchup" is nightcap because BC-BU would be nightcap. Only thing I can think of here is since PC is the only non Boston team, give people from Providence more time to get to game. But we're talking Providence not Maine here. Seems like a stretch.

Anyway, I am expecting both to be one goal games. Elimination game for BC and BU. NUs top heavy talent against a more balanced PC team. Should be a fun night.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Does anyone know for sure what the determining factor is for when each game is played? It's not #1 seed choice because there have been examples of #1 seed playing late game. And it's not "brand matchup" is nightcap because BC-BU would be nightcap. Only thing I can think of here is since PC is the only non Boston team, give people from Providence more time to get to game. But we're talking Providence not Maine here. Seems like a stretch.

Anyway, I am expecting both to be one goal games. Elimination game for BC and BU. NUs top heavy talent against a more balanced PC team. Should be a fun night.
    I believe the higher seed gets the first game because itís a bit of an advantage. I agree with you itís foolish not to have BU-BC be the late game. I canít imagine there will be many PC fans there regardless of when the game starts.

You would think that but there have been times where the #1 seed has played late game. BU in 2009, BC 2016.

Hockey East Beanpot

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Hockey East Beanpot
    This could be the year for NU for trophies. I remember the 1st Hockey East with Terreri literally playing out his mind for PC. Other than Merrimack and UMass or Notre Dame some teams still have not won a HE Tournament trophy. They have their Beanpot this year and good chance will get a Tournament trophy too. 🍺

Quote Originally Posted by BCeagle View Post
    This could be the year for NU for trophies. I remember the 1st Hockey East with Terreri literally playing out his mind for PC. Other than Merrimack and UMass or Notre Dame some teams still have not won a HE Tournament trophy. They have their Beanpot this year and good chance will get a Tournament trophy too. 🍺
    Of the remaining teams, NU has the most recent Hockey East and Beanpot championships
    2016 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

#GaudetteForHo8ey

Interesting to note that while all the top seed swept their series, 7 out of the 8 games were one goal victories.

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    You would think that but there have been times where the #1 seed has played late game. BU in 2009, BC 2016.
    The highest remaining seed has played in the late game 3 times: 2009 when #1 BU played #6 BC; 2015 when #1 BU played #8 New Hampshire; and 2016 when #1 BC played #6 Northeastern.

In other Hockey East tournament miscellany this is the first time since 2006 that all four quarterfinal series were sweeps. It was also the lowest average attendance (2,309) for the quarterfinals going back to 2002.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    It was also the lowest average attendance (2,309) for the quarterfinals going back to 2002.

Sean
    no smartphones, instagram, twitter, youtube, snap well, you get it.. & a myriad other distractions around in 2002.
    Different planet.
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot.. but when we do.. we are the Champions

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
    no smartphones, instagram, twitter, youtube, snap well, you get it.. & a myriad other distractions around in 2002.
    Different planet.
    Yes, but the drop has not been a straight line. The 2016 quarterfinal average attendance (3,910) was the third highest out of the last 17 years and the 2017 quarterfinals were in the middle, 8th (3,576). So what changed between 2016 and this year to cause a drop of almost 41%? Looking at the four home teams it would appear that the excitement of the fan base of Lowell and Notre Dame played a big part in the averages for 2016 & 2017. Having the three Boston schools all host was a major part of the drop this year, as BU & BC have always had playoff attendance issues, as has NU the past four years that they have hosted a playoff series.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

Yes, but the drop has not been a straight line. The 2016 quarterfinal average attendance (3,910) was the third highest out of the last 17 years and the 2017 quarterfinals were in the middle, 8th (3,576). So what changed between 2016 and this year to cause a drop of almost 41%? Looking at the four home teams it would appear that the excitement of the fan base of Lowell and Notre Dame played a big part in the averages for 2016 & 2017. Having the three Boston schools all host was a major part of the drop this year, as BU & BC have always had playoff attendance issues, as has NU the past four years that they have hosted a playoff series.

Sean
    Add to this that PC has always been a BB school first and foremost in terms of attendance at games. During the semi games with Maine the students were on break and PC was playing in the Big East BB semi and final game in NYC.

All Hail

...The 2016 quarterfinal average attendance (3,910) was the third highest out of the last 17 years and the 2017 quarterfinals were in the middle, 8th (3,576). So what changed between 2016 and this year to cause a drop of almost 41%?...Having the three Boston schools all host was a major part of the drop this year, as BU & BC have always had playoff attendance issues, as has NU the past four years that they have hosted a playoff series...
    And part of the problem re the Boston schools is that at least two of them are on Spring Break.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Brays Bayou FC / IV.18

I wonder how many people took a look at the line at Matthews on Saturday and said, "Thanks, but no thanks".
    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Quote Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
    I wonder how many people took a look at the line at Matthews on Saturday and said, "Thanks, but no thanks".
    I think selling online with no fees or minimal fee charges would help. I remember buying online and printing the tickets made it very convenient and easy during the regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_cliff View Post
    Add to this that PC has always been a BB school first and foremost in terms of attendance at games. During the semi games with Maine the students were on break and PC was playing in the Big East BB semi and final game in NYC.
    And PC hoops is playing on Friday (time unannounced) but still will hurt attendance with the PC folks

Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    And PC hoops is playing on Friday (time unannounced) but still will hurt attendance with the PC folks
    12:15 pm on Friday on CBS. This shouldn't hurt attendance especially since PC has the 8 pm game that night in the Garden vs. NU. However I suppose it wouldn't make a difference one way or the other to the hockey faithful, like myself. I will be at the Garden and it should be a great game.

Opposite Girl

The big question is...will the gelato stand be open? It wasnít open for the Beanpot.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    The big question is...will the gelato stand be open? It wasn’t open for the Beanpot.
    Very big question. Could be a deal breaker.
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Goin' Up?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    I canít imagine there will be many PC fans there regardless of when the game starts.
    Oh c'mon, all 32 of us will be there. Even Jon.
    It's tournament time!

Looking forward to Tournament Modeģ 2018! In St. Paul...? I would rather be in Tampa!

Tournament Modeģ is a registered trademark of The Freds, all of us.

Thread Information