Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

  1. #1
    It's A Great Day For Hockey
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Titletown, USA
    Posts
    4,267

    Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    The only matchup of teams that both played in the opening round...
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17, 2018
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    2,760

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    Quote Originally Posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    The only matchup of teams that both played in the opening round...
    I picked Genny in the first round.....I will go with them again !


    "FEAR THE BIRD!"

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yellow Springs, OH
    Posts
    418

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    They are calling Colby's win over UNE an upset: https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/03...n-ncaa-hockey/

    Is it an upset when everything goes according to plan?

    A couple things to know about Colby's run-up to the NESCAC playoffs and the NCAA Tournament: Colby got a #6 seed for the NESCAC playoffs by virtue of a tie-breaker with Wesleyan. The two were tied for fifth in a league where just three points separated #2 and #7, and two points separated #2 Conn College and Colby. Near the end of the season, Colby had a tie with Conn in a game at their place. If Colby had won that game, they would have ended up in second and Conn would have been sixth. Yeah, that's how close it was. So, Colby beating Amherst and Wesleyan should have been no big surprise. With the confidence that they had gained at the end of the season and the first two playoff wins, they were ready for a Trinity team that was starting to show cracks in its armor. Again, no surprise...

    Even the UNE fans approached the Colby game with some trepidation. They had beaten Colby twice during the season, but those were non-league games in which Colby had used their second string goalie. The Colby team UNE saw last night was a different one - one that clogged up the middle and blocked shots, one backed up by a goalie with a .940 save percentage; one that played like there was something on the line. Their confidence continues to grow. They are playing the best hockey of their collective lives. They should not be taken lightly.
    Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    473

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    Quote Originally Posted by OhioMule View Post
    They are calling Colby's win over UNE an upset: https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/03...n-ncaa-hockey/

    Is it an upset when everything goes according to plan?

    A couple things to know about Colby's run-up to the NESCAC playoffs and the NCAA Tournament: Colby got a #6 seed for the NESCAC playoffs by virtue of a tie-breaker with Wesleyan. The two were tied for fifth in a league where just three points separated #2 and #7, and two points separated #2 Conn College and Colby. Near the end of the season, Colby had a tie with Conn in a game at their place. If Colby had won that game, they would have ended up in second and Conn would have been sixth. Yeah, that's how close it was. So, Colby beating Amherst and Wesleyan should have been no big surprise. With the confidence that they had gained at the end of the season and the first two playoff wins, they were ready for a Trinity team that was starting to show cracks in its armor. Again, no surprise...

    Even the UNE fans approached the Colby game with some trepidation. They had beaten Colby twice during the season, but those were non-league games in which Colby had used their second string goalie. The Colby team UNE saw last night was a different one - one that clogged up the middle and blocked shots, one backed up by a goalie with a .940 save percentage; one that played like there was something on the line. Their confidence continues to grow. They are playing the best hockey of their collective lives. They should not be taken lightly.
    Yeah, comical. Playing well, hot goalie and come from the best league top to bottom in the country.

  5. #5
    Hockey Knight in Boston
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby


  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    178

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    If Colby can maintain the intensity they had in the second period and then increased on in the third period last night, they will be very difficult to beat. However, if they play the way they did in the first period, they'll be an average team who will struggle. Earlier in the year, UNE played Geneseo at Norwich and handled them 9-5 (at least that is what it looked like on my tiny computer screen!). Three PP goals on the one penalty Genny was assessed in the entire game. Kind of turned a 4-2 game into a 7-2 game in a big hurry.

    I wish Colby luck going forward. I really enjoyed last night's game, even though the final wasn't what I was hoping. I love watching good hockey, and that is what Colby played last night in all three zones.

    I think Geneseo will have their hands full next week.

  7. #7
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,620

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    So the 500 mile rule is waived for in-region games? Or is it just that if you went by air, you'd have to drive a good distance anyway and make stupid connections? Waterville - Boston by bus, then Boston to NYC and NYC to Rochester? Or Waterville - Portland, then Portland to somewhere, and somewhere to Rochester with maybe one connection per day?
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geneseo, NY
    Posts
    128

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    Quote Originally Posted by dinocoach View Post
    If Colby can maintain the intensity they had in the second period and then increased on in the third period last night, they will be very difficult to beat. However, if they play the way they did in the first period, they'll be an average team who will struggle. Earlier in the year, UNE played Geneseo at Norwich and handled them 9-5 (at least that is what it looked like on my tiny computer screen!). Three PP goals on the one penalty Genny was assessed in the entire game. Kind of turned a 4-2 game into a 7-2 game in a big hurry.

    I wish Colby luck going forward. I really enjoyed last night's game, even though the final wasn't what I was hoping. I love watching good hockey, and that is what Colby played last night in all three zones.

    I think Geneseo will have their hands full next week.
    I agree that Colby will be a really tough test for Geneseo.

    The Geneseo vs. UNE game from right after break shouldn't be given much weight, I think. It was Geneseo first game back and they were clearly struggling in almost every way, especially since they don't play a simple north-south game. (I've seen this recently with quite a few teams coming directly off winter break.) Geneseo dominated the game late but the damage was already done. I think it's fair to say that they are a very different team at this point.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yellow Springs, OH
    Posts
    418

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    Quote Originally Posted by geneseo View Post
    The Geneseo vs. UNE game from right after break shouldn't be given much weight, I think. It was Geneseo first game back and they were clearly struggling in almost every way, especially since they don't play a simple north-south game. (I've seen this recently with quite a few teams coming directly off winter break.) Geneseo dominated the game late but the damage was already done. I think it's fair to say that they are a very different team at this point.
    Ironically, the first Colby loss to UNE was under the same circumstances, right after the break, and just a couple days before Genny played them. That was the start of Colby's slump.
    Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,178
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    Exactly how I called it.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yellow Springs, OH
    Posts
    418

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    So the 500 mile rule is waived for in-region games? Or is it just that if you went by air, you'd have to drive a good distance anyway and make stupid connections? Waterville - Boston by bus, then Boston to NYC and NYC to Rochester? Or Waterville - Portland, then Portland to somewhere, and somewhere to Rochester with maybe one connection per day?
    Colby has been playing well on the road, as of late. But, this is one long trip, way longer than the trip to Hamilton every year. And then there's that rabid Geneseo fan base... With any luck, Geneseo will be on spring break.
    Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    2,760

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    From the TES milage calclator (Official NCAA Calculator)
    From: COLBY COLLEGE
    To: GENESEO, SUNY
    Miles: 584.0


    "FEAR THE BIRD!"

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,178
    Quote Originally Posted by dinocoach View Post
    If Colby can maintain the intensity they had in the second period and then increased on in the third period last night, they will be very difficult to beat. However, if they play the way they did in the first period, they'll be an average team who will struggle. Earlier in the year, UNE played Geneseo at Norwich and handled them 9-5 (at least that is what it looked like on my tiny computer screen!). Three PP goals on the one penalty Genny was assessed in the entire game. Kind of turned a 4-2 game into a 7-2 game in a big hurry.

    I wish Colby luck going forward. I really enjoyed last night's game, even though the final wasn't what I was hoping. I love watching good hockey, and that is what Colby played last night in all three zones.

    I think Geneseo will have their hands full next week.
    I wouldn't hold much stock in that first meeting. Geneseo knows exactly what they did wrong against UNE, and they won't repeat that.

    Having said that, I'm certainly not discounting Colby. This is another toss up game almost as hard to pick as the Geneseo-Hobart game.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geneseo, NY
    Posts
    128

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    It looks like Schultz is trying to adjust for a problem the team ran into last year when they hit the wall at the end of the season. He's had the luxury of being able to rotate some very high quality dmen in and out of the line-up. Midseason DI transfer Campion was out of the line-up against Fredonia. Condon got a break several weeks ago for a couple games as did Hartman right after that. Russell got a break for a couple games while recovering from a bruised knee. Last night against Hobart, in what was likely to be a very physical game, Campion was in and Lagrone was out. Nice to have the personnel to be able to do that, and so far it's paying off.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,178
    Quote Originally Posted by geneseo View Post
    It looks like Schultz is trying to adjust for a problem the team ran into last year when they hit the wall at the end of the season. He's had the luxury of being able to rotate some very high quality dmen in and out of the line-up. Midseason DI transfer Campion was out of the line-up against Fredonia. Condon got a break several weeks ago for a couple games as did Hartman right after that. Russell got a break for a couple games while recovering from a bruised knee. Last night against Hobart, in what was likely to be a very physical game, Campion was in and Lagrone was out. Nice to have the personnel to be able to do that, and so far it's paying off.
    And he rolled all his lines throughout the game yesterday. Hes not afraid to use his depth.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    87

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    Quote Originally Posted by geneseo View Post
    It looks like Schultz is trying to adjust for a problem the team ran into last year when they hit the wall at the end of the season. He's had the luxury of being able to rotate some very high quality dmen in and out of the line-up. Midseason DI transfer Campion was out of the line-up against Fredonia. Condon got a break several weeks ago for a couple games as did Hartman right after that. Russell got a break for a couple games while recovering from a bruised knee. Last night against Hobart, in what was likely to be a very physical game, Campion was in and Lagrone was out. Nice to have the personnel to be able to do that, and so far it's paying off.
    I can't imagine sitting Lagrone against Hobart was by choice, he must be hurt. He's a point per game D and there aren't many D anywhere in D3 better than him at both ends of the ice. Having a guy like Campion sitting there to take his place is a nice luxury though, he's not Lagrone but he has a ton of skill for big guy.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geneseo, NY
    Posts
    128

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    Quote Originally Posted by gknight View Post
    I can't imagine sitting Lagrone against Hobart was by choice, he must be hurt. He's a point per game D and there aren't many D anywhere in D3 better than him at both ends of the ice. Having a guy like Campion sitting there to take his place is a nice luxury though, he's not Lagrone but he has a ton of skill for big guy.
    I'm also guessing that Lagrone was 100%, but, either way, Schultz knows he can rest him with full confidence in someone like Campion.
    Last edited by geneseo; 03-12-2018 at 02:53 AM.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    out of NYC and up to Orange County
    Posts
    5,303

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    Quote Originally Posted by geneseo View Post
    It looks like Schultz is trying to adjust for a problem the team ran into last year when they hit the wall at the end of the season. He's had the luxury of being able to rotate some very high quality dmen in and out of the line-up. Midseason DI transfer Campion was out of the line-up against Fredonia. Condon got a break several weeks ago for a couple games as did Hartman right after that. Russell got a break for a couple games while recovering from a bruised knee. Last night against Hobart, in what was likely to be a very physical game, Campion was in and Lagrone was out. Nice to have the personnel to be able to do that, and so far it's paying off.
    Yes nice to have 4 D1 transfer dmen in the line-up or out....would have had 5 D1 transfer dmen but one left for Canada during the summer also only one of the 5 dmen were " D1lite"....Nice problem to have..
    Last edited by bakdraft21; 03-12-2018 at 02:25 PM.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,178

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    Yes nice to have 4 D1 transfer dmen in the line-up or out....would have had 5 D1 transfer dmen but one left for Canada during the summer also only one of the 5 dmen were " D1lite"....Nice problem to have..
    Oswego used to have that "problem."
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    out of NYC and up to Orange County
    Posts
    5,303

    Re: Quarterfinals: Geneseo vs, Colby

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Oswego used to have that "problem."
    Don't remember that,we have had a few from Big ten schools and a few ECAC guys here and there but,Genny has a nice roster of "Top flight" D1 schools as far as their transfers go ,all at once,best of luck to them,to bad I am rooting for both Genny and Colby...after this game I will be down to one of these teams and whoever is playing adrian
    Last edited by bakdraft21; 03-12-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •