Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #5 Minnesota @ #2 Wisconsin

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Re: #5 Minnesota @ #2 Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    Peters was most of the way to her bench. What the H would they have done in Wisconsin had scored in that interim?
    Count the goal. Brad Shepherd did the same thing in the 2004 WCHA Final, when Jody Horak was skating to bench because the arm went up while the Gophers were skating with the puck and stayed up -- even after UMD got the puck and put it into the empty net.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    It was a pleasure to meet Robert Earle. Now, don't screw this up next week.
    I have discovered over the years that what I hope for has very little to do with what ends up happening. But I will do my best.

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Count the goal. Brad Shepherd did the same thing in the 2004 WCHA Final, when Jody Horak was skating to bench because the arm went up while the Gophers were skating with the puck and stayed up -- even after UMD got the puck and put it into the empty net.
    Was there ever an explanation for what happened ? I still remember that stupid call.
    Last edited by ne7minder; 03-10-2018 at 05:29 PM.

The only really disappointing part of the game was that it was never close and the outcome was not in doubt early. Wisconsin played as well as any team we have seen and the Gophers never got out of the starting blocks.

Closest they came to getting a goal was when Baldwin tried to tip a loose puck in the crease but Peters made a great save to deny Wisconsin a freebie.

Still hoping for an all WCHA final next Sunday
    Last edited by ne7minder; 03-10-2018 at 06:22 PM.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    Was there ever an explanation fir what happened ? I still remember that stupid call.
    It wasn't the only time he did that to the Gophs, just the only time that a goal resulted. I think there were just too many moving parts for the young Shepherd to keep track.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

It wasn't the only time he did that to the Gophs, just the only time that a goal resulted. I think there were just too many moving parts for the young Shepherd to keep track.
    Young Brad did tend to lose track of a "sheep" now and then, but I seem to remember the other Shephard's losing sight of entire flocks.

About a dozen Gopher fans and one very happy Badger fan watched the game in a room at Joe Sensor's (with audio no less) and the common reaction to the penalty call was, "What the .... just happened there?"
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-10-2018 at 06:01 PM. Reason: What's that confused shepherd doing over there?

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    In all the years....I can't remember ever seeing that before.
    That was just unbelievable. If it had been a closer game, it might have made a difference. What if the Gophers had pulled the goalie?

Gophers with one (1) SOG in the third period. I think they used up all their reserves of energy last week.

Quote Originally Posted by CTR View Post
    Gophers with one (1) SOG in the third period. I think they used up all their reserves of energy last week.
    I don't want to dwell on it, but this game reminded me of the 8-2 shellacking they took in Madison last season. We were never really in it and Wisconsin was in total control from the beginning.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by CTR View Post
    That was just unbelievable. If it had been a closer game, it might have made a difference. What if the Gophers had pulled the goalie?
    If they had pulled Peters WI would have scored again. They were never in control of the game at any time. Even on the PP they could not hold the zone of rany useful length of time.

I think MN had to win last week & Wi did not. Both teams played like it. This week both teams needed to win & WI played better.

It went beyond the bosses kid though. The linesman signaled to Horak.

Thread Information