Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Let's be specific.

1. Learn what?
    2. And what actions are possible given that knowledge?
    3. And how does that affect strategy going forward?

It seems to me you are saying don't run women because the country is sexist and they'll lose by definition. I don't accept that and I don't think I'm being naive. I fully agree there are large portions of the electorate who would not vote for a woman precisely because she is a woman, but I also believe (without any peer-review data) that the vast majority of those voters are already straight ticket Republicans, as one would expect from reactionaries.

I can think of one group that's an exception: black fundamentalist Christians. They do seem to have been infected by the same "the man is the master" Biblical argle bargle as the other Thumpers. But I'm thinkin' they also don't really have a choice: they aren't going to vote for the party that literally is wishing them dead from cops and wars and abysmal poverty.
    I would say the number one thing liberals need to learn is you don't always get 100% of what you want. And if that's your standard and you're going to vote for Stein's or Nader's because of it you're going to be living in a country run by Trump's your entire life.

Being Susan Sarandon and not voting for Hillary out of spite gets you NOTHING.

Until they learn that, there is no hope.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Not taking it that far. I don't think Kepler is racist or sexist...
      No, that's me!!!
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        No, that's me!!!
        I like this place.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          I like this place.
          It is a good place.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            Bernies bros engaging in sexism is similarly to 90% of knuckledraggers claiming Obama was a Muslim.
            I remember when Hillary was asked if Barack was a muslim and she responded, "you'd have to ask him!" and then went on to say how she wouldn't associate with Revered Right. And that whole thing where she said she'd stay in the 2008 race in case Obama gets shot. So yeah, the knucks are annoying

Also lol at Kepler being sexist. He's like the only person on this board that even talks about feminist issues and made a thread about it on a board that is like 98% men. You're basically proving my point for me so thanks I guess.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            To say there wasn’t sexism by some of the Bernie bros is ridiculous.
            "Both sides were wrong in Charlottesville!"

Nobody made that point, not even me. Obviously in any large group you're gonna find the outer tips of the bell curve. There are plenty of feminists who support his movement or a left agenda though and I would argue they're probably more in tune with that movement than centrists honestly. It's kinda hard to be for single payer and be worse on feminist issues than someone who isn't.
            Last edited by trixR4kids; 03-30-2018, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Kepler won't agree with you because he refused to believe that anyone in the Left can be bad.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Kepler won't agree with you because he refused to believe that anyone in the Left can be bad.
                Yes. That's it exactly.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Yes. That's it exactly.
                  Sorry but it's true. Any time someone even hints that elements of the left are sexist or racist you shoot it down immediately.

I don't think you are sexist or racist though that is just Rover trolling.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    I would take all your numbers and raise them at least 10%,
                    Me too...
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Sorry but it's true. Any time someone even hints that elements of the left are sexist or racist you shoot it down immediately.

I don't think you are sexist or racist though that is just Rover trolling.
                      I don't think "elements" of the Left are sexist or racist. I think individuals are.

Though I just made one exception: black fundies sure seem pretty sexist. And northeastern urban Jews and blacks, both stallwart left, don't seem to care for one another very much, so that gives us some racism and anti-Semitism, respectively.

But I don't think those are pervasive problems in the way that, say, white Republicans are racist or male (and actually many female) Republicans are sexist. Not only are you talking about smaller groups within the coalition, but also a smaller degree of infection within those groups.

The right has a huge problem with racism and sexism and homophobia. The left has a moderate problem with the same. But we are comparing a head cold with Bubonic plague.
                      Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Maybe the Olds. But I want to believe the portion of the electorate with functioning brain cells isn't still f-cked up by that stuff. Homophobia, absolutely, that won't go away for a while -- maybe ever given the war zone of the elementary school yard for boys -- but sexism ought to be a dead letter and racism ought to be restricted now only to those who live in utterly segregated communities. Most of those are actually in the North. Not a lot of lily white slave state rural areas, but plenty in places like western NY, central PA, and broad swathes of the Midwest and West.

Gotta love the wide ranges here
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          A long time ago I was in a heated political discussion with Bob Gray and wrote something that he took to be an insult to his family. I don't remember what exactly, but its not my intention to attack the man personally so I apologized in the thread to him which he graciously accepted. The point being everyone does something wrong sometimes. I personally admit I'm wrong about as often as Haley's Comet shows up, but when it happens you man up and do the right thing.

Kep, you engaged in sexist rhetoric in 2016 even though you aren't personally sexist. I don't think you actually have a problem with female candidates and women in general but your comments sure came across the wrong way regardless of your intent. So did many a Sanders supporter. Own it. Apologize and then move on. Really, its not that hard. I supported Hillary in 2008 and Obama won. If you can find an instance where I made fun of the man's skin color out there please post a link to it. I can save you the trouble though, as there's nothing to find.
                          You commented on his love for Jan Brewer, he implied an insult to his wife in that comment, then somehow imputed that invented insult on to me, and then carried a grudge over that completely imagined insult with him for years until he left.

Yeah, this board is better off without martyr Bob.

Comment

The same mouth-breathers that wouldn't vote for Hillary because she's a woman are the same that didn't vote for Obama because he was black/a Muslim yet he still won. Twice. She simply didn't energize the base, marginalized too many on the fence and sadly because Trump was such a horscrap candidate too many assumed she'd easily win and stayed home. Anyone arguing otherwise needs to stop feeling sorry for themselves, to get a freaking clue, to grow the hell up and to finally move on to take care of business moving forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              The same mouth-breathers that wouldn't vote for Hillary because she's a woman are the same that didn't vote for Obama because he was black/a Muslim yet he still won. Twice. She simply didn't energize the base, marginalized too many on the fence and sadly because Trump was such a horscrap candidate too many assumed she'd easily win and stayed home. Anyone arguing otherwise needs to stop feeling sorry for themselves, to get a freaking clue, to grow the hell up and to finally move on to take care of business moving forward.
                              Well said!

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Then the base needs to suffer more. Like four more years of trump kind of suffering. And maybe another’s eight of Ted Cruz or Mike Pence. Because being having sexist tendencies is probably a marginally better excuse than being unable to recognize an existential threat.

ETA: I should clarify. When I says sexist tendencies are better, I meant they’re fixable. Stupidity that bad is terminal.
                                Last edited by dxmnkd316; 03-30-2018, 07:57 PM.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X