Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 1001

Thread: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

  1. #181
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    36,974
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Not only that but it takes a long time to get to leadership.
    How old is Paul Ryan?

  2. #182
    RIP Liberalism 6/27/2018 ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    68,010

    Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    How old is Paul Ryan?
    48
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  3. #183
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    36,974
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    48
    Ironic that the Party of Youth has someone pushing 80 and the Crotchety Old Party is lead by a relative kid

    They need an Obama style person in leadership. Nancy has been a good soldier for years but new blood is needed at the top.

  4. #184

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,340

    Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Ironic that the Party of Youth has someone pushing 80 and the Crotchety Old Party is lead by a relative kid
    You know the expression. The only thing sadder than an old hippie is a young conservative.
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  5. #185
    RIP Liberalism 6/27/2018 ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    68,010

    Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Ironic that the Party of Youth has someone pushing 80 and the Crotchety Old Party is lead by a relative kid

    They need an Obama style person in leadership. Nancy has been a good soldier for years but new blood is needed at the top.
    That's fine. I personally don't care about age, sex, religion, or color. I only care about policy. Nancy is years younger to me than Paul Ryan. Paul Ryan's ideas are older than dirt and more dangerous than plutonium.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  6. #186
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    15,058

    Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

    A good exercise is to figure out which Dem Congresscritters you've actually heard of and who've made a good impression. That presumably would be a good place to start for the next Speaker.

    I know of Steny Hoyer for example as well as John Lewis. Hoyer is about Pelosi's age and Lewis while a Civil Rights legend must also be getting up there in years. So discount those two.

    Schiff in CA and Elijah Cummings from MD have done a stellar job fighting GOP knucks in hearings and investigations. Cummings is pushing 70 but Schiff is only in his 50's.

    From my home state Moulton and Kennedy have been pretty high profile. Kennedy is probably biding his time for a Senate seat to open up (both MA senators are in their 70's while he's in his 30's). Like how Moulton took down a thoroughly corrupt Dem congressman in a primary a few years ago.

    Other than Tim Ryan can't think of anybody else that stands out.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  7. #187
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    18,437

    Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    A good exercise is to figure out which Dem Congresscritters you've actually heard of and who've made a good impression. That presumably would be a good place to start for the next Speaker.

    I know of Steny Hoyer for example as well as John Lewis. Hoyer is about Pelosi's age and Lewis while a Civil Rights legend must also be getting up there in years. So discount those two.

    Schiff in CA and Elijah Cummings from MD have done a stellar job fighting GOP knucks in hearings and investigations. Cummings is pushing 70 but Schiff is only in his 50's.

    From my home state Moulton and Kennedy have been pretty high profile. Kennedy is probably biding his time for a Senate seat to open up (both MA senators are in their 70's while he's in his 30's). Like how Moulton took down a thoroughly corrupt Dem congressman in a primary a few years ago.

    Other than Tim Ryan can't think of anybody else that stands out.
    Ted Leiu (sp?)

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  8. #188

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,340

    Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

    Joaquin Castro 43, Ted Lieu 48, Keith Ellison 54, Adam Schiff 57, Henry Cuellar 63.
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  9. #189

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    34,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Joaquin Castro 43, Ted Lieu 48, Keith Ellison 54, Adam Schiff 57, Henry Cuellar 63.
    You need good cat herders, something Nancy and Steny are very good at. The policy wonks get committee chairs, but the top needs to keep the Party on (the same) message

  10. #190
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    15,058

    Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    You need good cat herders, something Nancy and Steny are very good at. The policy wonks get committee chairs, but the top needs to keep the Party on (the same) message
    Indeed. Need a messenger and a strategist/parliamentarian. That's why I favor one of these people who've been duking it out with the Nunes and Gowdys of the world on these bogus investigative committees. They essentially have to do both and in the examples I listed have done a good job (Schiff and Cummings).
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  11. #191
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    36,974

    Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

    Schiff would be my guy...he has countered the GOP collusion bs perfectly.

  12. #192
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    28,218

    Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Joaquin Castro 43, Ted Lieu 48, Keith Ellison 54, Adam Schiff 57, Henry Cuellar 63.
    Schiff or Lieu would be good choices. Ellison has too much baggage.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  13. #193
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Indialantic, FL
    Posts
    7,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Anyone who votes against a candidate because they are non-white or a woman is already a straight-ticket Republican voter who votes in every election because they think Baby Jesus wants them to usher in the new White Christian Age.
    I absolutely disagree with this. I think there is a huge group of Americans with an unconscious, unacknowledged, probably unacknowledgeable bias against women and minorities. A lot of them probably vote D occasionally...just not if it's a woman. But not because of her gender, you understand - they just happen not to like her policies or personality or trustworthiness, or.....

  14. #194
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    2,724
    Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    I absolutely disagree with this. I think there is a huge group of Americans with an unconscious, unacknowledged, probably unacknowledgeable bias against women and minorities. A lot of them probably vote D occasionally...just not if it's a woman. But not because of her gender, you understand - they just happen not to like her policies or personality or trustworthiness, or.....
    She could be emotional. Only men are stable geniuses

  15. #195

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,340

    Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

    Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    I absolutely disagree with this. I think there is a huge group of Americans with an unconscious, unacknowledged, probably unacknowledgeable bias against women and minorities. A lot of them probably vote D occasionally...just not if it's a woman. But not because of her gender, you understand - they just happen not to like her policies or personality or trustworthiness, or.....
    No, that was true in the 1980s. Since then they have all migrated to the GOP as part of the Great Mitosis where all the other scum have moved to the right and been sealed inside the Echo Chamber.
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  16. #196

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,340

    Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Schiff would be my guy...he has countered the GOP collusion bs perfectly.
    I agree that Schiff would be a good choice. Knows how to use judo -- look at the way he's run circles around Dump and his syndicate -- and understands media.
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  17. #197
    RIP Liberalism 6/27/2018 ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    68,010

    Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

    Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    I absolutely disagree with this. I think there is a huge group of Americans with an unconscious, unacknowledged, probably unacknowledgeable bias against women and minorities. A lot of them probably vote D occasionally...just not if it's a woman. But not because of her gender, you understand - they just happen not to like her policies or personality or trustworthiness, or.....
    I'm with you on this one.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  18. #198

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,340

    Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I'm with you on this one.
    Maybe the Olds. But I want to believe the portion of the electorate with functioning brain cells isn't still f-cked up by that stuff. Homophobia, absolutely, that won't go away for a while -- maybe ever given the war zone of the elementary school yard for boys -- but sexism ought to be a dead letter and racism ought to be restricted now only to those who live in utterly segregated communities. Most of those are actually in the North. Not a lot of lily white slave state rural areas, but plenty in places like western NY, central PA, and broad swathes of the Midwest and West.

    Last edited by Kepler; 03-29-2018 at 08:13 AM.
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  19. #199
    RIP Liberalism 6/27/2018 ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    68,010

    Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Maybe the Olds. But I want to believe the portion of the electorate with functioning brain cells isn't still f-cked up by that stuff. Homophobia, absolutely, that won't go away for a while -- maybe ever given the war zone of the elementary school yard for boys -- but sexism ought to be a dead letter and racism ought to be restricted now only to those who live in utterly segregated communities. Most of those are actually in the North. Not a lot of lily white slave state rural areas, but plenty in places like western NY, central PA, and broad swathes of the Midwest and West.

    There is no question that most of them fall into that 33%. But there is always exceptions in every group and it's just a matter of how large that exception is.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  20. #200

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,340

    Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    There is no question that most of them fall into that 33%. But there are always exceptions in every group and it's just a matter of how large that exception is.
    Sure, but as always I'm talking normal distribution. I think if you map racism against political affiliation the racism mean falls about 2 sigma to the right of the political mean. That would be 95.45 + 4.55/2 = 97.725% of racists to the right of the political spectrum. Not 100% to be sure, but...



    Sexism is maybe 90% and homophobia 80%.

    For racism I'm counting white racism against blacks. Black racism against whites is probably about 99% on the left.

    None of this has anything to do with the percentage of people who are racist -- only the percentage we find in each quadrant. Assuming 50% of the country is right and 10% of the country is racist, we'd expect about 19% of the right to be racist and 1% of the left.
    Last edited by Kepler; 03-29-2018 at 08:25 AM.
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •