Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right after the Ottoman Empire surrendered, a group of Greek military personnel, including a Chaplin, went to Hagia Sophia and celebrated the Divine Liturgy.

The locals were not amused.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

Getting back on track ..

Read the editorial (it's a good one) and then at the bottom read the author's credentials.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/...ally-work.html
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Getting back on track ..

Read the editorial (it's a good one) and then at the bottom read the author's credentials.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/...ally-work.html
        Yeah, pretty good piece, which is shocking.

Comment

A cautionary note from PJB...

http://buchanan.org/blog/no-party-fo...ite-men-129547
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Don’t really get the free college thingy. High school is already free. That can be reshuffled to teach life skills needed in society and the workforce.

Let college be an extra layer now as it is, but not needed for a large percent of the population.

Languages should be taught early. Pretty sure it’s known smaller children are more adapt to learn these than later on in life. English Spanish European Asian.... minimum of 3 in grades 2-5. Then middle school can start literature in a number of native languages.

1/2 split in language/literature, and 1/2 in math and science.
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              Don’t really get the free college thingy. High school is already free. That can be reshuffled to teach life skills needed in society and the workforce.

Let college be an extra layer now as it is, but not needed for a large percent of the population.

Languages should be taught early. Pretty sure it’s known smaller children are more adapt to learn these than later on in life. English Spanish European Asian.... minimum of 3 in grades 2-5. Then middle school can start literature in a number of native languages.

1/2 split in language/literature, and 1/2 in math and science.
              I do. The first two years tech, or community college should be mandatory and free. After that you're on your own. Right now High School prepares you for nothing but a huge debt.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                I do. The first two years tech, or community college should be mandatory and free. After that you're on your own. Right now High School prepares you for nothing but a huge debt.
                What about trades? Include them in CC?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Definitely. Don't quite a few trades already go through CC?
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Absolutely.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

CC also has to cull the herd. If you want to be an engineer and flub the courses, you have to be directed somewhere else.

Way way back when, there was this thing called the Kuder Aptitude Test that was given in HS. For me, it was dead on.

Trouble was I went with choice #4 (Math) instead of #2 (Accounting).

Give that to HS students and save everyone a lot of grief and wasted time and $$
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        trade school or 2 year community college should be part of "free" public education.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                          trade school or 2 year community college should be part of "free" public education.
                          My high school would allow students to take college courses at a local public college or university if they signed up for it. Very few people ever did that, but the majority were the guys who went to the local tech college, getting a free head start on the automotive repair courses. I can only recall two people who went to local colleges/universities for classical liberal arts education. Students at that time were limited to two courses per term.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            CC also has to cull the herd. If you want to be an engineer and flub the courses, you have to be directed somewhere else.

Way way back when, there was this thing called the Kuder Aptitude Test that was given in HS. For me, it was dead on.

Trouble was I went with choice #4 (Math) instead of #2 (Accounting).

Give that to HS students and save everyone a lot of grief and wasted time and $$
                            I couldn't agree more.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              My high school would allow students to take college courses at a local public college or university if they signed up for it. Very few people ever did that, but the majority were the guys who went to the local tech college, getting a free head start on the automotive repair courses. I can only recall two people who went to local colleges/universities for classical liberal arts education. Students at that time were limited to two courses per term.
                              Exactly. By the time each of our three girls enrolled at the U of M, they already had at least 1.5 years worth of college credits completed, free of charge, all courtesy of the local high school program coupled with the local community college. That was a lot of money that we saved.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                Exactly. By the time each of our three girls enrolled at the U of M, they already had at least 1.5 years worth of college credits completed, free of charge, all courtesy of the local high school program coupled with the local community college. That was a lot of money that we saved.
                                I have three girls also who spent a good deal of their last HS years at a local junior college. They were not able to transfer many credits to the colleges they attended (just as they were able to claim only a few AP credits), but it was still very good for them. The junior college classes weren't rigorous, but it got them into a different environment and I think it significantly reduced senioritis for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X