Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Yeah, I understand that. And she should've refused to follow a criminal order. But, how many were standing up to Cheney and his machine?
    How many people were standing up to Hitler and his machine?

If she had said no she might have been fired. If you said no to Hitler you might have been executed.

Comment

• Re: 115th Congress - Fantastik! Try to remember we vote in November.

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Yeah, I understand that. And she should've refused to follow a criminal order. But, how many were standing up to Cheney and his machine?
      plus all those peeps who have kept a tight lip on vince foster
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I think that ship sailed with Bolton. The balloon goes up when the NYSE goes down.
        War is good business, including, unfortunately, the funeral business.

As long as Bolton can play with the red EASY button all day and not the real one, we're safe.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          War is good business, including, unfortunately, the funeral business.

As long as Bolton can play with the red EASY button all day and not the real one, we're safe.
          I hope so. He's incentified in several ways:

1. Dump loves the Saudis at least this week because they made big posters of him and let him feel their orb.
          2. Bolton is obsessed with Israel and Neocon Fables of the (Regional) Reconstruction.
          3. Iran is always good for revenge among the derps.
          4. Wag the dog.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

if one wants to wag the dog, you have to leave voters to then do the right thing!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              if one wants to wag the dog, you have to leave voters to then do the right thing!
              2004 called.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A look into some of the fun a Dem takeover could mean for the Tomato Faced Tyrant.
                Cornell University

Comment

Shiva v Sen. Warren: "Will the real Indian please stand up."

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politi...ke-indian-sign
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    A look into some of the fun a Dem takeover could mean for the Tomato Faced Tyrant.
                    They might as well occupy their time with those activities. Heaven knows they have no intention of spending their time working to pass legislation they'll promise you guys this summer.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      They might as well occupy their time with those activities. Heaven knows they have no intention of spending their time working to pass legislation they'll promise you guys this summer.
                      Why pass legislation that will be vetoed or filibustered in the Senate anyway? I really don't understand what you're getting at. This is what Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell have created.

Yes, I do not absolve Harry from responsibility.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Do you often spend your time working on projects that will never be heard and have 0% chance of being put into motion?
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Do you often spend your time working on projects that will never be heard and have 0% chance of being put into motion?
                          Probably more than I should admit to.

That said, isn't the point of being an elected official to at least try to accomplish the legislative agenda you've advertised to your voters? Sure, unless you control both houses and the executive branch, you don't get to ram through whatever legislation you want. But even in those situations it almost always takes some compromise.

Pass your legislation. You may not get it past the other house or the executive, but at least you've tried and at least you've opened discussions. Half a loaf is better than no loaf at all. Unless, of course, your handlers prefer to keep the loaf for themselves.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

On the contrary

The point of being an elected official is to be re-elected

Comment

Probably more than I should admit to.

That said, isn't the point of being an elected official to at least try to accomplish the legislative agenda you've advertised to your voters? Sure, unless you control both houses and the executive branch, you don't get to ram through whatever legislation you want. But even in those situations it almost always takes some compromise.

Pass your legislation. You may not get it past the other house or the executive, but at least you've tried and at least you've opened discussions. Half a loaf is better than no loaf at all. Unless, of course, your handlers prefer to keep the loaf for themselves.
                              Even though I'm pretty sure this was intended as a BSABSVR barb, I agree with all of this. I am in favor of putting legislation on the floor, passing it, and sending it to the other chamber. If they spike it then we have a very clear message to the voters: the other side is obstructing the change you voted for, so give us control of that chamber, too. The same message goes for the White House.

I don't see that as a waste of time. Legislation is hard and the more time people spend crafting and, gasp, reading it the better.

Dr. Mrs. worked very closely with Senator Akaka day after day for years and she came away with great respect for him as a man and a person trying to do what's right. He may have been a rara avis, but I don't think so. Most legislators, at least on the side that believes in democratic government, are in the arena for the right reasons. The level of prevarication required to be a politician must be soul-destroying, but they are basically you or me.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 04-25-2018, 08:57 AM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Even though I'm pretty sure this was intended as a BSABSVR barb, I agree with all of this. I am in favor of putting legislation on the floor, passing it, and sending it to the other chamber. If they spike it then we have a very clear message to the voters: other other side is obstructing the change you wanted, so now give us control of that chamber. Same obviously goes for the White House.

I don't see that as a waste of time. Legislation is hard and the more time people spend crafting and, gasp, reading it the better.
                                Sure. That's exactly what Paul Ryan has done. And it's accomplished nothing. Face it. All of our institutions are broken. And the Senate is at fault for 49% of it. The other 51% was broken by the Supreme Court when they said money was speech.
                                Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 04-25-2018, 08:57 AM.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X