2018 NCAA DIII Women's Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NMH View Post
    I have no "inside" information on this, but my take when talking to Darwitz and the higher ups at Hamline is they basically made her an offer she couldn't refuse. They really wanted an upgrade and they made it so she would accept. And that doesn't just mean money. She's got a lot of flexibility with her family and the sort of things that made her think she could take it on and not be affecting her family life too much. I have no idea if she wants to move up to DI, but the short conversation I had made it seem like things there are very cushy for her lifestyle and that would be difficult to give up.
    Hey if she's comfortable financially (she's probably making two or three times as much as her predecessors there) and from a work-family balance perspectice, why go to D1 and its longer schedule, longer road trips, etc. Why do you think coaches like Kevin Houle stay put?! They've got a great situation with tons of administrative/internal support, they are financially comfortable, and no need for the longer road trips and schedule of D1. If you can make a D1 salary at a D3 program, that sounds good to me!
    Last edited by shelfit; 03-13-2018, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
      ....Yepp
      Or when comparing the teams in the D3 NCAA tournament in Sesame Street terms I could have sung........

"One of these teams is not like the others
      One of these teams just doesn't belong
      Can you tell which team is not like the others
      By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which team was not like the others?
      Did you guess which team just doesn't belong?
      If you guessed this one (pointing to Morrisville) is not like the others
      Then you're absolutely...right!"

Comment

• Re: 2018 NCAA DIII Women's Tournament

Good snowy morning from Northfield, Vermont! We've had 18 inches of snow dumped on us in the last 36 hours with the potential of a little more on the way.

Safe travels to all the teams. Looking forward to start seeing some teams and fans arriving today and tomorrow.

For those curious, we will be live video streaming the 2018 NCAA Championship banquet tomorrow night.

There will be a couple speeches from our President as well as remarks from a player on each team. In addition we'll dole out some hardware with the 2018 All-Americans being named, Laura Hurd Award, Coach of the Year and Elite 90 awards being announced.

Coverage begins at 7pm at the following link: https://www.nsnsports.net/colleges/norwich/?event=38513
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
          Lol, well played. What about a mental/emotional or self-confidence injury?!
          In all seriousness, it was hard to tell. There wasn't a Panther within 10 feet of her (absolutely no physical contact with anyone). I did hear that she wanted to play the third period but couldn't get clearance from the medical staff.
          Steve
          Penn State Class of '95
          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            Good snowy morning from Northfield, Vermont! We've had 18 inches of snow dumped on us in the last 36 hours with the potential of a little more on the way.

Safe travels to all the teams. Looking forward to start seeing some teams and fans arriving today and tomorrow.

For those curious, we will be live video streaming the 2018 NCAA Championship banquet tomorrow night.

There will be a couple speeches from our President as well as remarks from a player on each team. In addition we'll dole out some hardware with the 2018 All-Americans being named, Laura Hurd Award, Coach of the Year and Elite 90 awards being announced.

Coverage begins at 7pm at the following link: https://www.nsnsports.net/colleges/norwich/?event=38513
            Plus the All American teams??
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
              What's the Elite 90 award?

Comment

What's the Elite 90 award?
                Player at the Final Four weekend with the highest GPA. It's a reference to the 90 championships the NCAA has, I think. The idea is the Elite 90 are the players with highest GPA at each of the NCAA championships finals sites of a given academic year.
                Last edited by Scott_TG; 03-14-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  I said All-Americans being named...
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Obviously, nobody here is a fan of Arthur Conan Doyle.
                    did you miss my "final solution" retort!!!!
                    Last edited by GTOWN; 03-14-2018, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Hey if she's comfortable financially (she's probably making two or three times as much as her predecessors there) and from a work-family balance perspectice, why go to D1 and its longer schedule, longer road trips, etc. Why do you think coaches like Kevin Houle stay put?! They've got a great situation with tons of administrative/internal support, they are financially comfortable, and no need for the longer road trips and schedule of D1. If you can make a D1 salary at a D3 program, that sounds good to me!
                      The travel/schedule thing wasn't something I thought about much before I started covering D3 more, but it definitely has it's appeal and it's one of the things the coaches will use to sell a player on playing D3 instead of riding the bench or playing fourth line in D1. Most teams get to sleep in their bed every night. In terms of being a student/athlete, that does make life a lot easier.
                      It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

• Originally posted by NMH View Post
                        The travel/schedule thing wasn't something I thought about much before I started covering D3 more, but it definitely has it's appeal and it's one of the things the coaches will use to sell a player on playing D3 instead of riding the bench or playing fourth line in D1. Most teams get to sleep in their bed every night. In terms of being a student/athlete, that does make life a lot easier.
                        How many overnight road trips does a team like Hamline even have in a given season? Now compare that number to the typical number of overnight road trips for D1 teams. Remember for most D1 teams a typical road trip involves two nights in a hotel, so it's definitely an apples and oranges comparison. I don't think it's even close.

Comment

How many overnight road trips does a team like Hamline even have in a given season? Now compare that number to the typical number of overnight road trips for D1 teams. Remember for most D1 teams a typical road trip involves two nights in a hotel, so it's definitely an apples and oranges comparison. I don't think it's even close.
                          Looking at Hamline's schedule I doubt that any of their "road trips" required even one night in a hotel. Their longest one-way trip was approximately 3 hours.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Looking at Hamline's schedule I doubt that any of their "road trips" required even one night in a hotel. Their longest one-way trip was approximately 3 hours.
                            Exactly. We had more overnight trips playing travel hockey! This is less of a responsibility than travel hockey! This is a soft job! I'm so jealous! Lol. So besides Darwitz, what's the average salary for a MIAC women's hockey coach?

Comment

So besides Darwitz, what's the average salary for a MIAC women's hockey coach?
                              For private colleges I don't think that's public information.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                For private colleges I don't think that's public information.
                                IRS Form 990 (non profit tax return) may have it. But you have to wait until they file.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X