2018 NCAA DIII Women's Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 NCAA DIII Women's Tournament

Even odder for Hamline is that they started with two MORE D1 transfers, neither of which is on the roster now.

Not sure what’s up with that.

And although there’s NOBODY in the MIAC rooting for them outside their team, I think they have a real shot in the finals.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
      St. Thomas wasn't an NCAA-imposed sanction. It was imposed by the school alone. So it wouldn't apply if they were no longer students.
      Isn't it kind of a low-class move to cause the problem resulting in the self-imposed sanction and then transfer out to a rival to avoid the punishment?
      Steve
      Penn State Class of '95
      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
        Isn't it kind of a low-class move to cause the problem resulting in the self-imposed sanction and then transfer out to a rival to avoid the punishment?
        I guess that falls under the "character" attribute of a player...
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
          Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          I guess that falls under the "character" attribute of a player...
          Do we know for sure it was the players who transferred were involved in whatever incident that caused the school to self-impose a ban? I don't think it's fair to case aspersions on their character just because they transferred. Maybe they transferred because they weren't involved and didn't think collective self-imposed punishment was fair, especially since it sounds like it was over an incident a lot of teams would not have instituted a postseason ban for.

Comment

Originally posted by MND3Dad View Post
            Even odder for Hamline is that they started with two MORE D1 transfers, neither of which is on the roster now.

Not sure what’s up with that.

And although there’s NOBODY in the MIAC rooting for them outside their team, I think they have a real shot in the finals.
            Did a little online digging and found the 2 other D1 transfers you referred to. They were Juniors at Lindenwood in 16-17. Dodds transferred to Hamline for 16-17 and the other 3 transferred in for this year including the assistant coach's daughter. That's quite a direct pipeline, or should I say Piperline. I do wonder why two D1 transfers only played 10 games and then either quit or something. Lang had 8 assists in 10 games but Davidson only had 1 goal in 10 games. Maybe as Seniors they were tired of the big commitment to hockey and simply wanted to focus on their academics and enjoy being regular students and all that entails socially. Maybe they just didn't like their new coach and decided they didn't want to put up with the B.S. anymore.
            Last edited by shelfit; 03-13-2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Do we know for sure it was the players who transferred were involved in whatever incident that caused the school to self-impose a ban? I don't think it's fair to case aspersions on their character just because they transferred. Maybe they transferred because they weren't involved and didn't think collective self-imposed punishment was fair, especially since it sounds like it was over an incident a lot of teams would not have instituted a postseason ban for.
              If they weren't involved I have no problem with them transferring but if they were involved then it's a low class move. However I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have been involved. When I played we always had those types of "activities" together as a team. Maybe they are destined to become lawyers and this is the first of many loopholes they will find and exploit in life.

Comment

Good point and you're absolutely correct.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I have no inside scoop on whether or not any rules were bent in the flurry of transfers into Hamline, but I have a keyboard and an internet connection, which makes me as qualified as anyone else to comment on this thread.

Hamline's administration took a look at their second-tier MIAC status and recruited a local icon (and, as a package deal, the icon's father) to boost their program. In the second year, it is clear that the program has been boosted. Assuming no rules were broken (and I have seen no evidence of that, only speculation), Hamline got exactly what they were looking for. Nobody who has been around Minnesota hockey for more than 10 minutes would hire a Darwitz without expecting them to pull every lever.

Comment

Question to anyone with more knowledge of midwestern higher ed than I: where would you rank Lindenwood, Hamline and St. Thomas academically? Would going from Lindenwood to Hamline or St. Thomas to Hamline be considered an upgrade, downgrade, push?

Comment

• Re: 2018 NCAA DIII Women's Tournament

Question to anyone with more knowledge of midwestern higher ed than I: where would you rank Lindenwood, Hamline and St. Thomas academically? Would going from Lindenwood to Hamline or St. Thomas to Hamline be considered an upgrade, downgrade, push?
                      The Minnesota liberal arts schools as a whole have a good academic reputation. I have never heard of Lindenwood in any academic context. That being said this is the perception of a retired math prof from New England, so your mileage may vary.
                      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

It seems that at the DIII level, the reputation of the coach doesn't matter. It's more about the hockey program and whether it's a winner or not. In Darwitz's case, she built this team in only a few years and recruits will now follow, whether she's a good coach or not, or did it ethically or not. Not many teams make it to the NCAA Final Four in such a short amount of time. Look at Gustavus. Carroll is not well liked at all, yet he gets top-notch talent year in and year out. The River Falls coach has a shady history with recruiting, but, again, top-notch recruits. Either these coaches feel like this is how they have to be in order to compete with other schools to get these kids, or this is how they really are. In the end, if their team wins (as they do), character doesn't really seem to matter to kids looking to go there. And while the DIII motto is supposed to be "academics first", the top kids really only care about winning. I know some kids who have chosen Plattsburgh over a NESCAC because Plattsburgh wins. We can debate how Darwitz got these transfers, but the point is, she got them, and now her team is a contender and will (should) continue to be.

Comment

It seems that at the DIII level, the reputation of the coach doesn't matter. It's more about the hockey program and whether it's a winner or not. In Darwitz's case, she built this team in only a few years and recruits will now follow, whether she's a good coach or not, or did it ethically or not. Not many teams make it to the NCAA Final Four in such a short amount of time. Look at Gustavus. Carroll is not well liked at all, yet he gets top-notch talent year in and year out. The River Falls coach has a shady history with recruiting, but, again, top-notch recruits. Either these coaches feel like this is how they have to be in order to compete with other schools to get these kids, or this is how they really are. In the end, if their team wins (as they do), character doesn't really seem to matter to kids looking to go there. And while the DIII motto is supposed to be "academics first", the top kids really only care about winning. I know some kids who have chosen Plattsburgh over a NESCAC because Plattsburgh wins. We can debate how Darwitz got these transfers, but the point is, she got them, and now her team is a contender and will (should) continue to be.
                          I agree with your point. A handful of transfers may be unsavory to purists but unless someone drops dirt on how Hamline recruited them, there doesn't appear to be any violations of transfer rules.

I don't know much about Natalie Darwitz other than what she accomplished on the ice. There's clearly some animosity towards her on this board I'm missing out on as a DIII fan from NY. Is this likely to end up like a Jenny Schmidgall-Potter at Trinity situation where a brief D3 coaching stint by an accomplished player turns into a D1 position? If she does bolt for a bigger opportunity the question will be if Hamline can keep up what she's building now.

Comment

My comment was a hypothetical. Guess I should have prefaced my comment with "if the offending players are the ones that transerred to Hamline from St. Thomas..."
                            Steve
                            Penn State Class of '95
                            Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              I have to say I would much rather have seen River Falls or Gustavus or Lake Forest (or several other teams) in the spot Morrisville had. That game was a joke for Norwich (8-2 score, 39 shots to just 14, and clearly took their foot off the gas in the 3rd period) and it shows what an unfortunate waste that conference's AQ is and supports what many people here said about what a joke it was to see Endicott being ranked in the top 10 this season.
                              ....Yepp

Comment

Scott,

question for you: do you know what's going on at Plattsburgh with injured/suspended players for the final 4? Pretty sure they can make it to finals regardless but if they're missing a few key pieces it looks like it may be Norwich's year.

Comment

Working...
                                X