Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    There is NO choice to be made, correct?
    For mine there is. She's only 13, but she wants to go to Madison. She won't be going there for 50k per year for out of state tuition though. Forget that...
    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Ha! My son is a senior and he is accepted at Mad Town, but that is "too close to home." He is looking at UW-M and MSOE in the big city. He will always be a badger fan as I have taken him to countless men and women hockey games and the occasional BB and FB games, but he wants nothing to do with college there. Plus I think the engineering "recruit" day pretty well expressed its a big college and they don't care about you. Not the case at Platteville, Milwaukee and MSOE..... If I was in shoes, I wouldn't go to UW either. Plus he is accepted to play on the D3 lacrosse team at MSOE provided we can figure out the ridiculous cost to attend there.....
      Last edited by WiscTJK; 03-14-2018, 12:56 PM.
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by sunprairie View Post
        Be prepared to have to explain to Barry that Wisconsin has a hockey program before you start your rant.
        Ha!

I can also explain 6>0 and 6>1 insofar as national championships men's hockey vs football and basketball.

Also quick aside, has Wisconsin produced more NHL or NFL players? I'd love to know that stat.
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
          For mine there is. She's only 13, but she wants to go to Madison. She won't be going there for 50k per year for out of state tuition though. Forget that...
          So you are moving back to Wisconsin! Fantastic news! I'll let you use my house as her legal address for a small fee.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

So you are moving back to Wisconsin! Fantastic news! I'll let you use my house as her legal address for a small fee.
            I'm planning on having her live with my parents for a year, but your offer will go onto the board as well.

Comment

Not for me, of course. I'm just waiting for Tony to call so I can use up the eligibility I've been saving. As a graduate transfer, I can play right away. So far Eaves and Sauer let me down on that front.

The little McBadgerton is a little genius though (obviously takes after her mother) and while UW is somewhere on the list, so are a bunch of fancy and ridiculously expensive East Coast schools. blech.

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
              Visited U of Florida which is, I guess, a top 10 ranked public U. The campus is fantastic and I was much more impressed than I ever thought I'd be. Plus The Swamp is pretty cool. Florida has Bright Futures scholarships that provides every student with a 3.5 GPA (little McB has a 5 point something... how the hell can that even be? These new fangled grades are weird.) that does moderately well on SAT/ACT and performs 100 hours of community service, all tuition and fees plus book allowance at any of 40 in-state Florida public schools, Colleges and Universities paid for 4 years with no regard to financial status.

So --- $75k+ going to school with Chad and Muffy, which, let's face it, there are definite advantages to; $50k for UW, the greatest school in the world; or just pay living expenses at a fine AAU member public University that I can drive to. I know what my pocketbook says... but we'll just have to wait and consider what the little McBadgerton says, too. Or so I'm told... I'm not too sure... The little McB once said she might like Florida State because the campus is "pretty". I'm like "That's where all the Florida rejects go! Get with the program!"
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                Ha!

Also quick aside, has Wisconsin produced more NHL or NFL players? I'd love to know that stat.
                Since the Packers made Eddie Jankowski the 9th overall pick in 1937, 289 players have been drafted from Wisconsin. Plus, another 60-80 free agents have played in the NFL, so my guess is it's not even close, even if you just went from 1963 'til now.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I'm glad that I still have time to work on it with my daughter. She has talked about all kinds of places for school at this point. Hawaii, Madison, and England just to name a few. Hopefully she'll get something picked out in the next few years and find a new way for us to pay for it.

Comment

Ha!

I can also explain 6>0 and 6>1 insofar as national championships men's hockey vs football and basketball.

Football, and it isn't even close

LINK

extra info:
                    Badgers in the NHL shows a total of 82 NHL Badgers

The football factbook gets up to 80+ NFL Badgers before you get to last names that start with H
                    Last edited by KaMiGo; 03-14-2018, 03:36 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                      Ha! My son is a senior and he is accepted at Mad Town, but that is "too close to home." He is looking at UW-M and MSOE in the big city. He will always be a badger fan as I have taken him to countless men and women hockey games and the occasional BB and FB games, but he wants nothing to do with college there. Plus I think the engineering "recruit" day pretty well expressed its a big college and they don't care about you. Not the case at Platteville, Milwaukee and MSOE..... If I was in shoes, I wouldn't go to UW either. Plus he is accepted to play on the D3 lacrosse team at MSOE provided we can figure out the ridiculous cost to attend there.....
                      Bragging Alert:

MSOE is WELL worth the money. As I've mentioned before, MCR Jr went there for 6 years and has BS and MS degrees. Employers knock the doors down to hire MSOE grads! Great educational AND athletic facilities.
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                        Football, and it isn't even close

LINK

extra info:
                        Badgers in the NHL shows a total of 82 NHL Badgers

The football factbook gets up to 80+ NFL Badgers before you get to last names that start with H
                        Yeah, except I'm going to grade on a curve.

A. Football has been around a LOT longer
                        B. Football has at least what 80 guys on the team annually and maybe 25-6 for hockey?

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Yeah, except I'm going to grade on a curve.

A. Football has been around a LOT longer
                          B. Football has at least what 80 guys on the team annually and maybe 25-6 for hockey?
                          You asked for stats, you got stats. You didn't like stats, you change the parameters.

A longer history?
                          Looking at the NHL Badgers, the earliest that one of them played in the NCAA was 1971.
                          There have been over 187 NFL Badgers (from 1971 to present) in that window and 95 of them have played for more than 3 years.
                          I would say advantage NFL Badgers.

A larger roster???
                          Using the same window of 1971-present, 48 years.
                          82 NHL Badgers in 48 years, we'll call that roughly 2 NHL Badgers per year. Team sizes can fluctuate between 25-30, but to keep the numbers simple let's call it 25. Out of a team of 25 that is 8% of the players.
                          187 NFL Badgers in 48 years, we'll call that roughly 4 NFL Badgers per year. Team sizes have fluctuated over the years, but let's call it an even 100 (which includes at least 50 players who will NEVER see the field in a given year. Out of a team of 100 that is 4% of the players. Out of a "playing sample" of 50 that is 8%.
                          I would say either small advantage to NHL Badgers or a wash.

For every amazing Badger that has played in the NHL you have just as many in the NFL.
                          For every Chris Chelios with 1000 points there is a Mike Webster with 9 Pro Bowls and 4 Super Bowl wins
                          For every current star like Joe Pavelski or Ryan Suter there is a Travis Frederick or James White

14 Badgers have had their name on the Stanley Cup vs 36 AFL/NFL/Super Bowl Champions.

I'm not saying that the hockey Badgers don't have a ton to be proud of, they certainly do! They have had some amazing NCAA success and have produced some top-level NHL talent.

I think that the talent that the football Badgers has produced, on a whole or on a curve, is better.

Now, please, can you tell me what argument you need to make to get to your desired result of NHL Badgers being better/more important. I'm guessing you'll go for "but NHL roster sizes are smaller, so there are fewer available NHL spaces, so the saturation is greater" or "because I said so".

Comment

You asked for stats, you got stats. You didn't like stats, you change the parameters.

A longer history?
                            Looking at the NHL Badgers, the earliest that one of them played in the NCAA was 1971.
                            There have been over 187 NFL Badgers (from 1971 to present) in that window and 95 of them have played for more than 3 years.

A larger roster???
                            82 NHL Badgers in 48 years, we'll call that roughly 2 NHL Badgers per year. Team sizes can fluctuate between 25-30, but to keep the numbers simple let's call it 25. Out of a team of 25 that is 8% of the players.
                            187 NFL Badgers in 48 years, we'll call that roughly 4 NFL Badgers per year. Team sizes have fluctuated over the years, but let's call it an even 100 (which includes at least 50 players who will NEVER see the field in a given year. Out of a team of 100 that is 4% of the players. Out of a "playing sample" of 50 that is 8%.

For every amazing Badger that has played in the NHL you have just as many in the NFL.
                            For every Chris Chelios with 1000 points there is a Mike Webster with 9 Pro Bowls and 4 Super Bowl wins
                            For every current star like Joe Pavelski or Ryan Suter there is a Travis Frederick or James White

14 Badgers have had their name on the Stanley Cup vs 36 AFL/NFL/Super Bowl Champions.

I'm not saying that the hockey Badgers don't have a ton to be proud of, they certainly do! They have had some amazing NCAA success and have produced some top-level NHL talent.

I think that the talent that the football Badgers has produced, on a whole or on a curve, is better.

Now, please, can you tell me what argument you need to make to get to your desired result of NHL Badgers being better/more important. I'm guessing you'll go for "but NHL roster sizes are smaller, so there are fewer available NHL spaces, so the saturation is greater" or "because I said so".

Jesus Buddy, you know my opinions, if you don't like em' ****** off and don't reply.

Comment

A longer history?

A larger roster???

Comment

Sheesh KaMiGo. You are AD's best friend. You keep denying being in the Athletic Dept, but you are always here toting the "company" line.
                                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Working...
                                X