Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down go the goofettes. Nice going, ladies!!!🤘

I'm watching Ped St @ Neuter Dame for a period before I head out. Who do you like/want? As much as I dislike NoDame, I HATE Ped St.(ESPN-U)
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 03-10-2018, 04:59 PM.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

At least one Badger puck team knows how to kick the gophers azz.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
        At least one Badger puck team knows how to kick the gophers azz.
        They sure do play cohesively and they value puck possession, minimal blind passes and dump ins. It does suck that the rodents got a trophy last week, but 5-1 against them for the season and knocking them out of the ncaa works out ok.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Watched the Badger Women destroy the gophers. The way they totally dominated the team they had just lost to is a good demonstration of how small the difference between being really good and losing is in hockey. Confidence and momentum mean everything. Just play two more like that Badgers!

Jake Linhart signed with the AHL Rochester Americans. I think Jake's a guy that wasn't blessed with all the natural physical abilities that a lot of other guys have and he's had to work harder than most to earn this opportunity at the next level. After a very successful Junior season as the puck mover on a pairing with Peter Tischke, Jake was asked to take on a totally different role this year as Oz matched upperclassmen with freshman. Had JD been available I don't doubt that Jake would have remained in place with Tischke and been much more productive. But as it was, Jake was asked to play the stay at home D with Kalynuk running the breakout, something I don't think Jake was particularly well suited for, but nevertheless, and to his great credit, he did his best in the interest of the team. Jake was counted on to play big minutes and clutch shifts all year and ended up blocking 52 shots on the season. Thanks for everything and congratulations Jake!

Also Captain Cameron Hughes has signed with the Providence Bruins. IMO the future is very bright for Cameron. I think he'll really excel playing a faster game with faster team mates. I'm sure this year wasn't all he'd hoped it would be but I can't fault him. He did everything that was asked of him without balking and was the definition of a team player. Coming off shoulder surgery that limited his physical development in the off season he played everywhere in the top nine, getting moved around constantly to try to help other guys get going. And then usually double shifting in with the top line late when things weren't gelling there either. After watching him for 4 years we easily forget that Hughes is essentially the same age as freshman Baker and Kalynuk. Can't find a better person anywhere and despite the overall results it's been a great pleasure watching Cam play 4 years here. Very proud to have him associated with Badger Hockey. Congratulations and thanks, Cameron!
          Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 03-11-2018, 11:37 AM.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            On assistants, I don't know Strobel well, but I know some hockey people that do and they all have a lot of respect for him, his work ethic, his enthusiasm and his hockey sense, not to mention his all out Badger-ness. Whether he's a step down from Donny-- well, a lot of people think Donny is going to be the next Blackhawks HC, so probably everyone is a step down. I'm not sure how that reflects poorly on Strobel though, as I can't think of any other NHL head coach people that are willing to be assistants at UW.

It's been suggested Steve Miller would have been so much better. True that Miller has been one of the premier assistants in college hockey, but Miller primarily made his name as the best recruiter in college hockey. In Oz we have what many people also consider to be the best recruiter in college hockey. If you hired Miller, who's going to be the recruiter in charge? I don't see how that makes sense, or how that works, or why either Oz or Miller would want to be in that situation.
            I hope you are right, but believe you to be wrong. We will see. Based on what I see, Tony didn't get the right assistant. Doesn't mean it should have been Steve Miller (just that the comparison with Ohio State based on previous jobs / replacements). I think an offensive minded person should have been a priority. And you can go out of the Wisconsin tree of coaches once and a while....
            Last edited by WiscTJK; 03-12-2018, 06:25 AM.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
              I hope you are right, but believe you to be wrong. We will see. Based on what I see, Tony didn't get the right assistant. Doesn't mean it should have been Steve Miller (just that the comparison with Ohio State based on previous jobs / replacements). I think an offensive minded person should have been a priority. And you can go out of the Wisconsin tree of coaches once and a while....
              I would venture to say that Miller is a better recruiter than Oz, but not by a wide margin. And yes, it's ok to hire the best possible assistant, whether or not they have ties to UW. Oz and DG WERE the best possible hires when TG arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                I would venture to say that Miller is a better recruiter than Oz, but not by a wide margin. And yes, it's ok to hire the best possible assistant, whether or not they have ties to UW. Oz and DG WERE the best possible hires when TG arrived.
                Definitely agree with that. Was Mark Strobel the best possible hire? I was the one who hated the hire of Gary Shuchuk and took lots of heat for arguing that. I will leave it alone from here.
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  I would venture to say that Miller is a better recruiter than Oz, but not by a wide margin.

You can argue the point, but in 6 years here Ozzie recruited 22 guys who played in the NHL. In 20 years at DU Miller got 40 guys who played in the NHL. (The math says that extrapolating Oz's 6 years to 20 years would equal 73 NHLer's! )

Can't predict the future but in a year and a half back here I'd venture to say Oz signed up quite a few more that will play in the NHL. It's hard to make the case that anybody is really better than Oz at getting top talent, unless perhaps it's Quinn and his staff lately.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    Definitely agree with that. Was Mark Strobel the best possible hire? I was the one who hated the hire of Gary Shuchuk and took lots of heat for arguing that. I will leave it alone from here.
                    I think lots of people on this site questioned Shuchuk's hire.

Comment

I just think scapegoating Strobel is an easy excuse. What's the beef? Offense wasn't good enough? PP wasn't good enough? Strobel's OSU PP was #1 in the country last year by a wide margin. (31.6%) so that would seem to indicate he's not incapable of coaching up a good PP.

Statistically speaking the O was worse, the D was worse, the PK was worse and the PP was worse as compared to last year. Strobel isn't in charge of everything.

If you look at the stats. the thing that really stands out this year is the 38 point swing in PP-PK differential. (Last year was +29. This year was -9) We took way to many stupid penalties on the year especially in key moments. 9 on the TEAM, plus 10 guys with 10+ penalties. Last year 4 guys had 10+. Linhart and Ess played similar minutes to Tischke and Kalynuk. Ess and Linhart had 9 combined penalties. Tischke and Kalynuk had freakin' 43 combined. Last year Besse had 28 points and 4 penalties. This year Dhooghe had half the points and 4x the penalties playing a similar spot. Inamoto had 18. (Only 6 after the break though to be fair.)

The number of times the Badgers shot themselves in the foot with a momentum killing undisciplined penalty is pretty large. If %'s are all the same, just that swing in pp-pk differential is worth at least 8-10 goals. Badgers lost 7 -1 goal games plus gave up 9 ENG on the year. In a season where 3-5 games made the difference of in or out...
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I just think scapegoating Strobel is an easy excuse. What's the beef? Offense wasn't good enough? PP wasn't good enough? Strobel's OSU PP was #1 in the country last year by a wide margin. (31.6%) so that would seem to indicate he's not incapable of coaching up a good PP.

Statistically speaking the O was worse, the D was worse, the PK was worse and the PP was worse as compared to last year. Strobel isn't in charge of everything.

If you look at the stats. the thing that really stands out this year is the 38 point swing in PP-PK differential. (Last year was +29. This year was -9) We took way to many stupid penalties on the year especially in key moments. 9 on the TEAM, plus 10 guys with 10+ penalties. Last year 4 guys had 10+. Linhart and Ess played similar minutes to Tischke and Kalynuk. Ess and Linhart had 9 combined penalties. Tischke and Kalynuk had freakin' 43 combined. Last year Besse had 28 points and 4 penalties. This year Dhooghe had half the points and 4x the penalties playing a similar spot. Inamoto had 18. (Only 6 after the break though to be fair.)

The number of times the Badgers shot themselves in the foot with a momentum killing undisciplined penalty is pretty large. If %'s are all the same, just that swing in pp-pk differential is worth at least 8-10 goals. Badgers lost 7 -1 goal games plus gave up 9 ENG on the year. In a season where 3-5 games made the difference of in or out...
                        Time will tell on MS, I'm not ready to get a rope yet. I'd love to know why they ended up being wildly undisciplined penalty-wise this season.

Comment

I agree there is plenty of blame to go around and I am not trying to "scapegoat." And assistant hires fall back to the head coach anyway. We will just have to wait and see how things play out.

Comment

Im up in da nordern regions of da state, so I hope my phone does a good job pumping this link through. Don't so-called journalists have anything better to guess or speculate about? No wonder the media popularity is up there with the senate....
                            https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbe...hilary-knight/
                            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                              Im up in da nordern regions of da state, so I hope my phone does a good job pumping this link through. Don't so-called journalists have anything better to guess or speculate about? No wonder the media popularity is up there with the senate....
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                                Article is complete BS. Bothered me so much I tweeted the author. 2012 was $7.6 million in revenues for Women's hockey....Yeah, that sounds right!

Forgot to mention the $11.4 million in expenses. And obviously Labahn tix aren't $200 a pop. Those revenues include all gifts for facilities and of course the expenses as well. 2016 revenues were $1 million, expenses $ 3.3 million. Think anybody wants to pay back $100,000 per player?

Just burns me that this dude is an econ professor and uses a Forbes platform for this garbage article.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X