Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    That is awful. Man…
    Obituary http://host.madison.com/news/local/o...5b0e17859.html
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

And then there was 1......Let's go Bolts. I really kinda like the Jets and Knights, 2 really great stores, but I'm going Jets. Love the jerseys.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        And then there was 1......Let's go Bolts. I really kinda like the Jets and Knights, 2 really great stores, but I'm going Jets. Love the jerseys.
        *Washington? Nah.
        *Lightning? **** no!

Whoever wins the "Campbell Conference" is my choice for La Coupe Stanley. As far as who I like between Vegas and Winnipeg....I really like both teams equally, but my head says the Peggers in 6. Yes, the Jets DO have sweet jerseys.
        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Just looked at the recruiting spreadsheet, if Greenway leaves there will be just one junior on the roster. I don’t know if i’ve seen that before.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            Just looked at the recruiting spreadsheet, if Greenway leaves there will be just one junior on the roster. I don’t know if i’ve seen that before.
            Didn't notice that when I was doing the latest edits. Reminds me of the way that Eaves built teams, but that clearly isn't the case now.
            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
              *Washington? Nah.
              *Lightning? **** no!

Whoever wins the "Campbell Conference" is my choice for La Coupe Stanley. As far as who I like between Vegas and Winnipeg....I really like both teams equally, but my head says the Peggers in 6. Yes, the Jets DO have sweet jerseys.
              Would be cool to see Ovi win a Cup. Also, rooting for McDonut and the Lightning. Anybody but Vegas, please. They need to change the rules for the next expansion. Expansion teams shouldn't be gifted playoff teams.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                Would be cool to see Ovi win a Cup. Also, rooting for McDonut and the Lightning. Anybody but Vegas, please. They need to change the rules for the next expansion. Expansion teams shouldn't be gifted playoff teams.
                The last Badger is on the ropes! So much hope to start the playoffs.....

Comment

I don't think they need to change the expansion rules. Seattle's GM is going to have a tougher time, because the other 31 GM's are going to be smarter about the moves they make the next expansion draft. Plus, Vegas paid $500 million to get a team and Seattle is going to pay $650 million. If anything the rules will get better for the next expansion team.

Vegas was not gifted a playoff team, no one saw this coming or predicted it.

Comment

Vegas HAD to select ONE player from each team, of course totaled 30. There were other stipulations as well. What could/should be changed? They weren't handed anybody on a silver platter. A friend of mine said they stole Fleury, but PIT was going to move him anyway. On the other hand, PIT didn't get anything for him.

I think this story is due to how George McPhee and his staff built this team. Would different GMs have picked different players? Sure, but the combination of vets and young 'uns (ages 18 to 36) + Gerard Gallant is proving a success.
                    Last edited by MadCityRich; 05-15-2018, 09:35 AM.
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Vegas HAD to select ONE player from each team, of course totaled 30. There were other stipulations as well. What could/should be changed? They weren't handed anybody on a silver platter. A friend of mine said they stole Fleury, but PIT was going to move him anyway. On the other hand, PIT didn't get anything for him.

I think this story is due to how George McPhee and his staff built this team. Would different GMs have picked different players? Sure, but the combination of vets and young 'uns (ages 18 to 36) + Gerard Gallant is proving a success.
                      You could alter how many players existing teams can protect. Allowing just one more protected guy would have altered the makeup of Vegas drastically. The problem if you did that is you might have ended up with a horrible team instead of one that was honestly pretty fortunate in how everything fell into place.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                        You could alter how many players existing teams can protect. Allowing just one more protected guy would have altered the makeup of Vegas drastically. The problem if you did that is you might have ended up with a horrible team instead of one that was honestly pretty fortunate in how everything fell into place.
                        You have to think that the NHL isn't going to go out of the way to make sure that expansion teams get crap rosters.
                        They want the team to be good or better.
                        They want a team that is going to SELL TICKETS!!! A crap team might sell a new tickets as a novelty but isn't going to sell tickets in the long run.
                        The NHL isn't going to put that burden on a new team that just shelled out hundreds of millions of dollars.

Comment

Not only did Pittsburgh have Fleury exposed, they gave Vegas a 2nd round pick in 2020 to make sure they would take Fleury(they were probably taking him anyways). I don't think Seattle is going to get as many deals(draft picks) as Vegas did. The 3 teams that helped Vegas the most were Florida/Columbus/Minnesota. Vegas has some serious talent coming up through there farm system, which is insane to say about a first year team. This team is going to be near the top of the league for some years.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                            I don't think they need to change the expansion rules. Seattle's GM is going to have a tougher time, because the other 31 GM's are going to be smarter about the moves they make the next expansion draft. Plus, Vegas paid $500 million to get a team and Seattle is going to pay $650 million. If anything the rules will get better for the next expansion team.

Vegas was not gifted a playoff team, no one saw this coming or predicted it.
                            While I didn't see players like Karlsson stepping up so much, I was saying before they selected any players that they would be a good team and expected them to make the playoffs. While I didn't expect them to have a front line to compete with other team's first lines, They were going to have a team made up of essentially second line and top third line level players top to bottom. So I expected their third and forth line to be better than other teams, and that other teams would all lose a skilled player so step back a little. And of course the fact it was clear they would get Fleury also was part of this. (And this was all contingent on management doing a good job picking players, which they obviously did.)

I don't know how they would ever get away with not giving Seattle the same deal. Of course each team is slightly thinner in talent since they gave up a player to Vegas. And there probably won't be a Fleury caliber goalie available to them either. So I doubt they can repeat what Vegas has done. But I do have to admit that being a fan of an expansion team, I am jealous of Vegas having such early success and so much talent depth for the near future. Especially when a couple of the players would have looked good if they were still wearing my teams uni.

BTW- when does Seattle start?
                            Last edited by Koho; 05-16-2018, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Yep. If you think of all the expansion teams in the 4 major sports over the last 50 years, no one else has come remotely close to to doing what Vegas has done. All because this 1 expansion team got it 100% right doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the system. Stick tap to them and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                                While I didn't see players like Karlsson stepping up so much, I was saying before they selected any players that they would be a good team and expected them to make the playoffs. While I didn't expect them to have a front line to compete with other team's first lines, They were going to have a team made up of essentially second line and top third line level players top to bottom. So I expected their third and forth line to be better than other teams, and that other teams would all lose a skilled player so step back a little. And of course the fact it was clear they would get Fleury also was part of this. (And this was all contingent on management doing a good job picking players, which they obviously did.)

I don't know how they would ever get away with not giving Seattle the same deal. Of course each team is slightly thinner in talent since they gave up a player to Vegas. And there probably won't be a Fleury caliber goalie available to them either. So I doubt they can repeat what Vegas has done. But I do have to admit that being a fan of an expansion team, I am jealous of Vegas having such early success and so much talent depth for the near future. Especially when a couple of the players would have looked good if they were still wearing my teams uni.

BTW- when does Seattle start?
                                I believe Seattle would start in 2020, it is not official but it is pretty close to being set. Seattle has applied and they have a group of people who are willing to pay $650 million for a team. \

I didn't mean that the expansion rules would be worse for Seattle, if anything they may be better. I was getting at, the GM's of the other teams are going to be much more reluctant to make such nice offers for Seattle to take one player over another.

Seattle starting in 2020, is going to make the NHL avoid locking out. Without this expansion team starting in 2020, I would have said the likely hood of a lock out would have been quite high.

I enjoyed the expansion process for Vegas and look forward to it again in 2020.

It does help that Fleury is playing out of his mind. Game 4 is a must win for Winnipeg, I don't see a team beating Vegas 3 games in a row the way Fleury is playing.

Comment

Working...
                                X