Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    Kryieger’s asked for releases and are headed to MSU.

This is very bad news imo. Too many kids in the pipeline and this is how rumors start and could avalanche into “why sign with Wisconsin they don’t care about you”

Perception is reality in D1 sports and this is very bad optics.

Granato has had 2 years, he needs to figure this out yesterday.
    Agreed. I also posted on the recruiting thread that in my opinion this is bull**** asking for a NLI release 4 months after signing. If G and Company didnt keep in touch, they just pulled an Eaves. If the twins don't think they're good enough to crack top lines, **** `em. We want players who want to be challenged.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Considering the number of players signed up to be on the team next year, isn't it just as likely that they were asked to wait a season after seemingly locking in their spots four months ago and said "No thanks, we'll find somewhere else then."

Obviously we don't know either way and it could well be that they asked to leave, but it isn't exactly common practice to have (what I presume is a good chunk of) scholarship money sitting in the stands all year either.
      Last edited by TheRevengeance; 04-25-2018, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I'm having trouble retweeting from my phone. Todd M was on the phone with the Krygier's father, on the Western MI staff. They want to play right away and academics might be a problem.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
          Agreed. I also posted on the recruiting thread that in my opinion this is bull**** asking for a NLI release 4 months after signing. If G and Company didnt keep in touch, they just pulled an Eaves. If the twins don't think they're good enough to crack top lines, **** `em. We want players who want to be challenged.
          Agree with all of this 1000%
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Sorry, I'm having trouble retweeting from my phone. Todd M was on the phone with the Krygier's father, on the Western MI staff. They want to play right away and academics might be a problem.
            If it’s academics I feel bad for the kids but better about UW.

If it’s playing time, that’s on the coaches.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Well, then I’m that case we might do fine without them. The pipeline is rich.

But even then this does not reflect well on TG.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                If it’s playing time, that’s on the coaches.
                I think that's more on the players than the coaches. You can practice in a way that the coaches have to play you in games.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  I think that's more on the players than the coaches. You can practice in a way that the coaches have to play you in games.
                  I mean on the coaches in that why did they have 11-12 D lined up for this season? They were going to sit 5-6 a night?

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                    I mean on the coaches in that why did they have 11-12 D lined up for this season? They were going to sit 5-6 a night?
                    They are planning for early departures.

Comment

A major knock on Eaves' recruiting was that they counted on player loyalty too much and didn't have enough other players in the pipeline for contingencies like a kid not panning out, leaving early, or going a different route. Tony and Oz were obviously very cognizant of that. Last summer you could easily think two D could leave early and also worry that Ess and Kalynuk may not live up to expectations at the next level, so lining up the Krygiers made a lot of sense. (Plus the Krygiers were highly touted anyway, Christian having played with the USA U17's at the Worlds and both logging a lot of USHL time as 16 year olds.)

At the least we certainly can't knock them for being caught short and scrambling for a last minute replacement on D. What does hurt though is that we didn't sign Cruikshank because of a limited scholarship offer, which was a big disappointment. And it hurts that this deal comes two weeks after spring NLI's are signed. Had it come a month ago, the staff could have gone after another player with some scholarship $$ in hand before NLI's were signed. Seems like a big mistake to me to not have it sorted earlier. (Unless they do have it sorted out and know what they're going to do.)

We'll see what happens, but I don't see how it makes any sense at all to sit on $$ for this upcoming season no matter how many players are on the roster. I do expect another move.
                      Originally posted by WiscTJK
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

It's obvious last night that Jake Gardiner didn't have a good night, but I'm listening to TSN Toronto today and they are absolutely shredding him to pieces. He's only one guy and Frederik Andersen pretty much sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                          It's obvious last night that Jake Gardiner didn't have a good night, but I'm listening to TSN Toronto today and they are absolutely shredding him to pieces. He's only one guy and Frederik Andersen pretty much sucked.
                          The one time when he turned around on defense rather than skating backwards struck me as something that kids do, not a pro. He really did have a dreadful night. Goaltending was terrible as well.
                          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

meh... sports is so fickle and being a major critic is all that gets the clicks these days.

Pretty quick to forget that Gardiner played almost 30 minutes in Game 6 (where they held the Bruins to 1) just to get to this game.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              meh... sports is so fickle and being a major critic is all that gets the clicks these days.

Pretty quick to forget that Gardiner played almost 30 minutes in Game 6 (where they held the Bruins to 1) just to get to this game.
                              ...and thus is the Toronto media. Mr. Kessel had a good taste of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                What does hurt though is that we didn't sign Cruikshank because of a limited scholarship offer, which was a big disappointment.
                                This makes me very very angry. UW needed Cruikshank badly.

Comment

Working...
                                X