Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    I just read that Kyle Hayton signed an ATO with the Admirals. I'll stop there.
    As with all former Badgers, I wish him the best of luck. Hopefully he does great and at some point gets into the NHL.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      As with all former Badgers, I wish him the best of luck. Hopefully he does great and at some point gets into the NHL.
      I second that. I don't think this seasons issues were all his fault and hope that he has a great pro career.
      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        I just read that Kyle Hayton signed an ATO with the Admirals. I'll stop there.
        We’ll see what happens, but I think this was more of a case of Nashville calling up Milwaukee’s starter and then just needing a bench backup who was close by for the last two games. Wish him well, but also wish we wouldn’t have gone through this experiment in hindsight.

Comment

Originally posted by sunprairie View Post
          We’ll see what happens, but I think this was more of a case of Nashville calling up Milwaukee’s starter and then just needing a bench backup who was close by for the last two games. Wish him well, but also wish we wouldn’t have gone through this experiment in hindsight.
          Yeah, pretty sure you're right.

Hayton was as quick post to post as anybody I've seen, but the holes in his game need a some rebuilding. Difficult to get the chance in the pros though as there are a lot of good goalies and not a lot of spots to fill.

Elsewhere, Matt Ustaski was called up to the AHL Manitoba Moose yesterday. Moose are in the playoffs so we'll see if he sticks.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Top line: Ranta/Malone/Wiessbach Too much of a one line team then?

Comment

Top line: Ranta/Malone/Wiessbach Too much of a one line team then?
              It this point it's more interesting for me to try and figure out who'll be on this team next year instead of linemates.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny Wolf View Post
                It this point it's more interesting for me to try and figure out who'll be on this team next year instead of linemates.
                Trying to keep positive vibes going thinking about tons of goals being scored.

They are up to 18 F next year. Freytag is a maybe just because he didn't play every game the last 2 years, which tells us he might be a bubble guy, though I hope not. His shots have eyes for the net. Zimmer also did not play in every game last year, hence the maybe.

On
                Malone
                Johnson
                S Dh
                Baker
                Weissbach
                Mersch
                Messner
                Ranta
                Caufield
                Achan
                Gorniak

Probably
                Freytag
                Zimmer

????
                Zirbel
                J Dh
                Skiold
                Labosky
                Peltonen

Comment

• Ells yanked again. He's either not healed 100% or he's just plain inconsistent.
                  "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Based only on the last 15 or so games of the year, I'd rank the play of returning F's in this order:

Malone
                    Weissbach
                    Freytag
                    Zimmer
                    Baker
                    Johnson
                    S. Dhooghe

They will very likely all play. Incoming we have:

Ranta

Mersch -Messner -Gorniak(?)

Ahcan - Caufield

(?) for Gorniak, because coming straight from WI HS, his role depends entirely on how he makes the jump. But the kid can really skate. Ranta is a high-high-high end sniper. But he's pretty much a one-way player at the moment. Kinda like Weissbach's D coming in. (Linus has now improved to a 1.33-way player.) Mersch, Messner, Ahcan, and Caufield all play 200' and can get the puck to the net.

So that's 13, of which 11 or 12 will surely play a lot. Could play 11 F's + 7 D with all the D we have.

Zirbel - J. Dhooghe - Will likely not play much. Except that we don't really have Centers and Zirbel is a capable bottom 6 Center. Or Tony could go back to having two 4th lines alternating nights.

Anyway, that's 15. Anybody else is practice squad bodies, moral support, or heading down the highway.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Ranta is 21st in USHL in goals with 23 in 53 games played and .70 points per game. Cole Caufield has 23 goals in 32 games. Certainly Ranta is a skilled player but hardly a "high-high-high end sniper" and just one more goal than Mersch (22 goals and 57 games and .70 points per game).

Just want realistic expectations.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Gorniak worries me a bit coming straight from WI HS as well. It didn't go so well with Navin when he tried that. I don't think rushing him into the system will do him a whole lot of good.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                          Ranta is 21st in USHL in goals with 23 in 53 games played and .70 points per game. Cole Caufield has 23 goals in 32 games. Certainly Ranta is a skilled player but hardly a "high-high-high end sniper" and just one more goal than Mersch (22 goals and 57 games and .70 points per game).

Just want realistic expectations.
                          I think Mersch is going to be a really important player for the next 4 years here, but having said that, when Mersch was Ranta's age he had 6g-11pts in 58 games played. Everyone ahead of Ranta in goals is older, although this is also Jack Drury's draft year. He has one more goal, is ranked #27 by Central scouting and played on the best USHL team. (other than Team USA)

Cole Caufield's U17 numbers are ridiculous compared to everyone -- except Jack Hughes who has 21 more points in 5 less games. Hughes is #1 all time in U17 pts/game, Caufield is #2. The next 3 names on the list are Phil Kessel, Patrick Kane, and Auston Matthews. Caufield's 44 goals are 11 more than anyone else in U17 history.

Ranta won the 30m race with the puck at the USHL prospects game so he can really blaze. And his shot comes off like a rocket with no wind up at all. One of the best I've seen from a 17 year old. I'll be very surprised if he isn't just playing the Ovechkin spot offensively. Keep in mind when looking at the stats that not only is Ranta 17, he played on one of the 4 worst USHL teams and the game plan against them for everyone was pretty much just don't let Ranta shoot the puck.
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Gorniak worries me a bit coming straight from WI HS as well. It didn't go so well with Navin when he tried that. I don't think rushing him into the system will do him a whole lot of good.
                            I think of Navin as a really good athlete that played hockey. I think Gorniak is more of a hockey player who is a good athlete. Hopefully that makes a big difference.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              I think Mersch is going to be a really important player for the next 4 years here, but having said that, when Mersch was Ranta's age he had 6g-11pts in 58 games played. Everyone ahead of Ranta in goals is older, although this is also Jack Drury's draft year. He has one more goal, is ranked #27 by Central scouting and played on the best USHL team. (other than Team USA)

Cole Caufield's U17 numbers are ridiculous compared to everyone -- except Jack Hughes who has 21 more points in 5 less games. Hughes is #1 all time in U17 pts/game, Caufield is #2. The next 3 names on the list are Phil Kessel, Patrick Kane, and Auston Matthews. Caufield's 44 goals are 11 more than anyone else in U17 history.

Ranta won the 30m race with the puck at the USHL prospects game so he can really blaze. And his shot comes off like a rocket with no wind up at all. One of the best I've seen from a 17 year old. I'll be very surprised if he isn't just playing the Ovechkin spot offensively. Keep in mind when looking at the stats that not only is Ranta 17, he played on one of the 4 worst USHL teams and the game plan against them for everyone was pretty much just don't let Ranta shoot the puck.
                              I hope your right and you obviously have more knowledge than me, but I will keep my expectations at a reasonable level. I am not getting overly optimistic after this past year. I hope one or more of the incoming freshman who have Captained their USHL team become instant leaders and lead this team back to the top.
                              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

Oh yeah! Reasonable analysis that gets me jacked up for the upcoming season! We're gonna have another Tancill/Shuchuk/Sagisoor line, 8 billion combined points in a single season. Can not wait!

Comment

Working...
                                X