Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 521

Thread: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

  1. #181
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,688

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    I'm calling Bull **** on your post. Age has no bearing.....there are 16 and 17 year olds in the USHL. Chicago had a 6 to 2 lead and the Jets didnt give a ******. Scott Foster played the last 14 minutes and had 7 saves. Also, you better believe that Q told the D to step or they'll be dusters.

    How many of those recruits you speak of were goaltenders? 1st liners? I've said it before, I'll say it again, you're 3rd or 4th chair trumpet player, 3rd or 4th string QB, 3rd or 4th assistant manager at a business OR in the NAHL for a reason.

    I'll make a deal with you. You take guys from the NAHL and I'll take guys from the USHL. If you win one ****ing game, I'll buy you one Ian's Pizza a month for life. We just have to find more financial backing to start a couple teams.

    This program should not have to look at Tier 2 programs for players and I didn't call them bums.

    I doubt Q had to say anything, the boys know what it means to get in the show for anybody, no doubt they wanted to do good for a guy.

    Interesting fact: Foster played in the WOHL, a Tier III Junior "B" league, before going D1 at Western Michigan and then straight to the NHL!!

    ...er...ok... so it was 12 years of beer leagues later... still... I wonder how many guys have a 0.0 ga and 1.000 sv % career in the NHL?

    Arguing about goalies is about the dumbest thing we can do because hardly anybody knows if any of them will be any good tomorrow, let alone next year. The two time defending B1G Goaltender of the Year had an .885 sv% in the B1G this year... go figure... But what else are we going to do? Talk about golf?


    I'm not suggesting the leagues are equal, obviously they're not. But I'll take the 20 best players in the NAHL, get some time to practice, and we'll play the Caps. You don't think I can possibly win games? My main concern there would be what shipping method you're going to use to get my pizza to me.

    Age matters. There are only a couple of 18 year olds getting the net regularly in the USHL. Also rare is that Lebedeff played 25 games for the Caps as a 17 year old. My best info tells me that he was likely to sit behind 20 year old Mankato commit, Dryden Mckay this year. Not that Mckay was so much better, he wasn't, but Lebedeff just didn't get wins (on a not very good team) for some reason. In fact Lebedeff's '16-'17 Caps numbers (3.30ga -.906) are almost identical to McKay's (3.30 ga - 9.09) this year.

    Even so, Lebedeff could've still probably stayed with the Caps, he's better than Caps 19 year old back up Lamoreaux ( 4.03ga -.900). Or, he could just run down the road to Janesville and get the net a lot more.

    He couldn't just go play for any USHL team, the Caps kept him on their 30 man protected list in the fall, plus the other thing that works against Lebedeff is any USHL team can only have 4 imports on their roster. He's not on equal footing with American players. So instead he went to the Jets, didn't have a super start, Lake State commit Nieto did, and he's splitting time. So what?

    If Lebedeff doesn't come to UW this year, it's pretty hard to imagine he won't be be the #1 for the Caps in the fall. Then he'd be back in the USHL (and worthy.)
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  2. #182
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,118

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    He is coming this year, correct? He signed his NLI.

  3. #183
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    22

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?


  4. #184
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,688

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    He is coming this year, correct? He signed his NLI.
    Yes, although I've learned nothing is ever for certain until they hit the ice in the fall. They could agree to push him back a year for example. Zero reason to think he isn't coming though.

    Spring signing period opens up next week, so we can all start the watch for at least one F to sign for fall. Most seem to think it will be Brock Caufield, who's having a nice year (17g-21a-38p) although some places have him as coming in '19. Wouldn't mind being surprised with something exciting.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  5. #185
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,688

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodhotter View Post
    That's awesome. Really happy for him. He's had a great year except for a rough March. Bounced back and was USHL Goalie of the week last week though. Congrats to Matt.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  6. #186
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,876

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Ugly attendance data for UW hockey:

    http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/c...8a1c11a57.html

    To be fair, bouncy ball was down too. It's probably never going to get back to what it was in 2006 - 2010.
    Random thoughts on tickets...

    I understand if someone eats 4 women's tickets that cost a grand total of $20, but to eat 4 tickets that are pushing a hundo for a men's game is just crazy from an economics standpoint. The disposable income of the people in the Madison Metro area is just crazy to whizz a hundo or hundos down the toilet and not really care. There are many ways to try and get them into people's hands who want to go to games.

    It makes me irritated that I'm sitting in the 3rd tier when there are literally 1000's of better seats bought and just left empty. UW needs to come up with a system to move people down into the lower tiers. Makes for a better atmosphere and happier attendees.

    I'd love to see how many games are eaten per ticket holder.

    Maybe they can adjust the ticket prices for season tickets based on how many games worth of tickets you eat; the more you eat, the higher the ticket price.
    Last edited by Timothy A; 04-04-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  7. #187
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,876

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodhotter View Post
    Super happy for him and best wishes to all former players who have gone elsewhere to play for whatever reason.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  8. #188
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,118

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodhotter View Post
    I'm happy for the guy. He kind of got the shaft a little bit and hope he is successful at Tech.

  9. #189
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    545

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm happy for the guy. He kind of got the shaft a little bit and hope he is successful at Tech.
    except for the weekend when MTU comes to Madison...

  10. #190
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,876

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm happy for the guy. He kind of got the shaft a little bit and hope he is successful at Tech.
    In general and not necessarily related to Matty's deal, I don't like when universities yank the rug out of players like that, whether it's a promised scholarship or one you already have. If a current player gets cut by a team, they should get to play right way and not have to sit out a year. Universities should have to honor their commitments.

    Of course in retrospect, had Matt stuck it out, he'd have ended up being the starter, but no one could have imagined how the deal actually played out.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  11. #191
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    545

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    In general and not necessarily related to Matty's deal, I don't like when universities yank the rug out of players like that, whether it's a promised scholarship or one you already have. If a current player gets cut by a team, they should get to play right way and not have to sit out a year. Universities should have to honor their commitments.

    Of course in retrospect, had Matt stuck it out, he'd have ended up being the starter, but no one could have imagined how the deal actually played out.
    I can't imagine how that would work logistically. How often is it actually shown that a school is pulling back a scholarship vs "suggesting" to a player that they might not have the opportunities for playing time and that the player could be better served by another school.

    Did UW actually tell Matt that they were not going to offer him a scholarship? Or did Matt see the writing on the wall and realize that he wasn't going to get the playing time and made the decision to leave?

    With that being said, I recall a push in recent years for schools to honor the full 4 years of a typical enrollment for athletes. Not sure what traction that got. I think I heard about some former UW Football players who had left the team for whatever reason and were still getting their tuition covered.

  12. #192
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,688

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by KaMiGo View Post
    I can't imagine how that would work logistically. How often is it actually shown that a school is pulling back a scholarship vs "suggesting" to a player that they might not have the opportunities for playing time and that the player could be better served by another school.

    Did UW actually tell Matt that they were not going to offer him a scholarship? Or did Matt see the writing on the wall and realize that he wasn't going to get the playing time and made the decision to leave?

    With that being said, I recall a push in recent years for schools to honor the full 4 years of a typical enrollment for athletes. Not sure what traction that got. I think I heard about some former UW Football players who had left the team for whatever reason and were still getting their tuition covered.
    Some schools have committed to giving 4 year scholarships now, but most people haven't realized until recently, if at all, that scholarships aren't "4-year rides". Schools and players have to agree on another deal each year.

    With Matt, he'd had some injuries, Berry had taken over the net, and once they knew Hayton was coming, it seems as though there was probably some mutual understanding that Matt might not see the net much, if at all. Could have stayed, maybe red-shirted, maybe burned another year of eligibility... Seems like it was a logical choice to go back to the USHL with Luke Strand, play 50 games, and work for the opportunity he now has.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  13. #193
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    165
    NHL playoffs are about to begin. Are all ye Hawks fans alright?

  14. #194
    Sad Panda
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin
    Posts
    996

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalbooya View Post
    NHL playoffs are about to begin. Are all ye Hawks fans alright?
    I'm an Islanders fan. What is this word that you refer to? Play... what?

  15. #195
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,876

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalbooya View Post
    NHL playoffs are about to begin. Are all ye Hawks fans alright?
    I'm not shedding a tear, though I do want DG to succeed. No reason to cheer for the Wild with Suter out. Looks like I'm left with the Preds, Sharks, Flyers and Bolts. I really want to see Pavs vs Els in the final. I love the fact that St. Louis & Calgary dumped Els and now they are both out. Haha. Interesting fact....Els' Dad was a director for the Red Green show, one of the greatest tv shows of all time.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  16. #196
    Sad Panda
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin
    Posts
    996

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Interesting fact....Els' Dad was a director for the Red Green show, one of the greatest tv shows of all time.
    How had I never heard this before? Awesome bit of trivia there.

  17. #197
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,269
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalbooya View Post
    NHL playoffs are about to begin. Are all ye Hawks fans alright?
    Wild.

  18. #198
    Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Random thoughts on tickets...

    I understand if someone eats 4 women's tickets that cost a grand total of $20, but to eat 4 tickets that are pushing a hundo for a men's game is just crazy from an economics standpoint. The disposable income of the people in the Madison Metro area is just crazy to whizz a hundo or hundos down the toilet and not really care. There are many ways to try and get them into people's hands who want to go to games.

    It makes me irritated that I'm sitting in the 3rd tier when there are literally 1000's of better seats bought and just left empty. UW needs to come up with a system to move people down into the lower tiers. Makes for a better atmosphere and happier attendees.

    I'd love to see how many games are eaten per ticket holder.

    Maybe they can adjust the ticket prices for season tickets based on how many games worth of tickets you eat; the more you eat, the higher the ticket price.
    Student tickets.

    I'm pretty sure (not 100%) they had some kind of single game option for students this year (in the main part of the student section, not the upper corner reserved seats they sold down the stretch 4 years ago to top it off) so it's harder to estimate, but considering the games that had people (basically dead bodies, but people nonetheless) in the second deck, and other non-holiday games had a few rows not all the way across, that accounts for a lot of unused tickets that were technically sold/distributed.

  19. #199
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    165

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Wild.
    Let's Go Wild! Sucks that Suter is out.

  20. #200
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    77 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality
    Posts
    2,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I love the fact that St. Louis & Calgary dumped Els and now they are both out..
    I feel the same way including your thoughts on the Wild. By default, I've always been an Avalanche fan, actually going back to the Nordiques. I even have a Quebec Nordiques Forsberg jersey!

    So needless to say, I've been without a playoff team for years.....UNTIL 2018!!! Tough first round for me because I really like the Preds since Smitty is a family friend. I just hope I don't run into his dad in the next couple of weeks.🙊

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •