Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
    I’m super excited for next year. Better defenseman should make things easier on the forwards. I’ve missed great puck moving defensemen.
    I am cautiously optimistic. There are going to be some really young defensive players coming in and it could be a bit sloppy at times. Still, excited to see the recruiting classes start to filter in.
    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
      I am cautiously optimistic. There are going to be some really young defensive players coming in and it could be a bit sloppy at times. Still, excited to see the recruiting classes start to filter in.
      I trust Emberson and Miller to come in and do just fine. These guys are top talents for a reason. Tischke will have Ess back to play with. Does anyone know the defensive statistical difference from before and after he was injured? There are just so many guys on the roster that it would be hard not to find a great combination.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
        Heard on a broadcast last night UMD was playing with 5 fr D......Bummer for Air Force. Now I truly don't give a rat's behind what happens now.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Heard on a broadcast last night UMD was playing with 5 fr D...

True, but keep in mind 3 of them, Perunovich, Samberg, and Mikey Anderson all were on the World Junior Team this year.

Interesting that they and Andrew Peeke (Notre Dame) and Quinn Hughes (MI) are all in the FF this year. Adam Fox (Harvard) and Ryan Lindgren (NY Rangers) are the other two D from the WJ team.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

At mid-season, if somebody were to tell me that 3/4 of The Frozen Four would be B1G teams, I'd say that person was ****ed up on some potent Wisconsin Flame.

I haven't watched, but the Twitter machine runs 24/7/365.
            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
              At mid-season, if somebody were to tell me that 3/4 of The Frozen Four would be B1G teams, I'd say that person was ****ed up on some potent Wisconsin Flame.

I haven't watched, but the Twitter machine runs 24/7/365.
              I just hate the single elimination format. It favors the underdogs. I'd like to see a round robin at the 4 regionals with goal differential being the tie breaker. A great team can have 1 bad game and survive.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                True, but keep in mind 3 of them, Perunovich, Samberg, and Mikey Anderson all were on the World Junior Team this year.

Interesting that they and Andrew Peeke (Notre Dame) and Quinn Hughes (MI) are all in the FF this year. Adam Fox (Harvard) and Ryan Lindgren (NY Rangers) are the other two D from the WJ team.
                Great info. UW's D will be re-furbished this year, just gotta figure out the goalie spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  Great info. UW's D will be re-furbished this year, just gotta figure out the goalie spot.
                  The better the D, the better the G

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                    The better the D, the better the G
                    I agree with this wholeheartedly. Best games I have ever played in goal, I had great D that made sure I was only seeing good shots that I could control.

Comment

D should be significantly better next year with the class coming in. But I am concerned about scoring and think they will need to be better to counter our lack of offense.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I think the best case for Badger D would be everybody gets much better and then Emberson and Miller are still good enough and trustworthy enough to come in and be a ready made top 4 pair with say, Tischke and Kalynuk. If that could happen, then you'd have maybe Inamoto-Ess plus Greenway and the Krygier boys fighting it out. I really thought Inamoto progressed nicely through the year and was very good late in the season. Ess was just so reliable in his decision making all year -- I'd love to see him take a big step offensively in the off season and push the other guys out. We're just not sure of his ceiling at this point. Greenway is just a big question mark. Tons of unrealized talent still -- could never see a game, could have 40 points -- who knows? Krygier's aren't chopped liver and are probably going to be mid-round draft picks similar to what Inamoto was, so they could move up as well. It's going to be interesting to see how the staff handles all these guys.

Offensively we lose 42% (48g) of our goal scoring. That's not going to be easy to replace. Ranta is a goal scorer with a tremendous shot, and Mersch has had a really nice season, but when you consider just 4 guys in the entire B1G had more than 16 goals on the entire season, (Frederic, Lewandowski, Marody, Jobst) the odds we're going to get that back from just a couple of guys are pretty long. It's more likely going to have to be by committee.

Even if the D is much better and Jack or whoever finds a groove in net, plus we get decent production up and down the lineup-- it's still going to be very hard to make the tournament next year. Looking around the B1G, depending on what damage the NHL does, most teams are going to be as good or better next year. Add that to our OOC schedule... It's going to take a very good team to go over .500 vs. MTU, BC, DU, Sue, and Clarkson.
                        Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 03-26-2018, 11:32 AM.
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          It's going to take a very good team to go over .500 vs. MTU, BC, DU, Sue, and Clarkson.
                          This will sound strange, but to me next year the record isn't as important as how they play. Play sound fundamental hockey with above average special teams. I want to see some well played hockey with minimal "*** was that!"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            This will sound strange, but to me next year the record isn't as important as how they play. Play sound fundamental hockey with above average special teams. I want to see some well played hockey with minimal "*** was that!"
                            I would tend to agree with that. Another year without a tournament run would hurt, but seeing them make progress for the future of the program is more important in my eyes.

Comment

You know how when you tune into the pregame and the announcers are saying:

"and the head coach of the Mongoose's is Francios Robideaux. Now Jimmy, one thing we all know for sure is that a Robideaux coached team is always going to bring ..."

well... something. And that's #1 on the list for me. What exactly is a Granato coached team? It's still a bit of a mystery. Even if I played Tuesday night beer league against a team coached by Rohlik for example, I'm pretty sure I'd know what I'm in for.

The Badgers need an identity. And through two seasons, it feels a lot like they're still looking to figure out just what it is going to be.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

https://***********/StribSports/stat...90324200648704

Comment

Working...
                                X