Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
    I believe Seattle would start in 2020, it is not official but it is pretty close to being set. Seattle has applied and they have a group of people who are willing to pay $650 million for a team. \

I didn't mean that the expansion rules would be worse for Seattle, if anything they may be better. I was getting at, the GM's of the other teams are going to be much more reluctant to make such nice offers for Seattle to take one player over another.

Seattle starting in 2020, is going to make the NHL avoid locking out. Without this expansion team starting in 2020, I would have said the likely hood of a lock out would have been quite high.

I enjoyed the expansion process for Vegas and look forward to it again in 2020.

It does help that Fleury is playing out of his mind. Game 4 is a must win for Winnipeg, I don't see a team beating Vegas 3 games in a row the way Fleury is playing.
    **** Seattle. They'll just come up with some stupid 7th Man flag.

In my opinion Quebec City should have received the next franchise.

Did I mention **** Seattle?
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

The team names the Seattle team has taken trademarks out on are odd.

For Quebec, it would cost a Canadian ownership $845 CAD for the expansion fee. The exchange rate is really bad for Canada at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
          The team names the Seattle team has taken trademarks out on are odd.

For Quebec, it would cost a Canadian ownership $845 CAD for the expansion fee. The exchange rate is really bad for Canada at the moment.
          Which is too bad. Quebec deserves a team.

Come to think of it, Wisconsin totally deserves a team too.

Comment

All the talk on the Vegas draft ignores the altered rules they made for who could and couldn’t be protected in addition to the trades that “had” to be made to protect certain players. The difference in “recent experience” (number of games played in the NHL in the previous one or two seasons) compared to previous drafts was significant.

It’s why they got both Haula and Tuch from the Wild. They really fleeced one of NYI or NJD (can’t recall which off the top of my head).

It’s how they got guys like Marchessault.

At the end of the day, Vegas walked out of the expansion draft with more than enough 2nd and 3rd liners to make a good team. It’s not a surprise that some of them would improve with the chance to get 1st line minutes. They were definitely a middle of the road team in the draft, and they’ve also accumulated a **** ton of draft picks in the process. Vegas is set for a LONG time.

That said: It’s still a hell of an accomplishment that so many of them improved as they did. They were set to be a middle of the road team immediately (still a major gift from Bettman), but the fact that they’re almost a SCF Team right now is amazing.

Still: screw them and their special draft rules.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              All the talk on the Vegas draft ignores the altered rules they made for who could and couldn’t be protected in addition to the trades that “had” to be made to protect certain players. The difference in “recent experience” (number of games played in the NHL in the previous one or two seasons) compared to previous drafts was significant.

It’s why they got both Haula and Tuch from the Wild. They really fleeced one of NYI or NJD (can’t recall which off the top of my head).

At the end of the day, Vegas walked out of the expansion draft with more than enough 2nd and 3rd liners to make a good team. It’s not a surprise that some of them would improve with the chance to get 1st line minutes. They were definitely a middle of the road team in the draft, and they’ve also accumulated a **** ton of draft picks in the process. Vegas is set for a LONG time.

That said: It’s still a hell of an accomplishment that so many of them improved as they did. They were set to be a middle of the road team immediately (still a major gift from Bettman), but the fact that they’re almost a SCF Team right now is amazing.

Gotta wonder if the loss of a player of the quality that Vegas took from each teams means the talent pool for Seattle will be noticeably less (aside from the fact there won't likely be a clear #1 goalie available). And at the same time, every team will drop in talent a little for the second time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

They got Tuch and Haula because the Wild didn’t want to give up Dumba. These deals will not happen for Seattle. The gms have now realized 2 NHL players are better than 1. For marchessault and Smith, the Panthers didnt think they could afford marchessault and thought Smith was over paid. Panthers were able to move two contracts, since they are a salary cap floor team.

Comment

• Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                  They got Tuch and Haula because the Wild didn’t want to give up Dumba. These deals will not happen for Seattle. The gms have now realized 2 NHL players are better than 1. For marchessault and Smith, the Panthers didnt think they could afford marchessault and thought Smith was over paid. Panthers were able to move two contracts, since they are a salary cap floor team.
                  I’m still irked by Chuck Fletcher’s decision making. They should have protected Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba and given Vegas the choice between Brodin/Scandella. After the expansion I was still okay with what happened until Fletcher went and traded Scandella for garbage and minimal cap savings.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                    Come to think of it, Wisconsin totally deserves a team too.
                    Unfortunately, I don't think WI would support an NHL team. Tons of Wild fans northwest, tons of Blackhawk fans southeast. Badgers are the hockey team of WI.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't think WI would support an NHL team. Tons of Wild fans northwest, tons of Blackhawk fans southeast. Badgers are the hockey team of WI.
                      Yeah, that ship has sailed. Back in the late 80's / early 90's when the Showdown was at the BC (and the BC opened), that was when hockey had lots of momentum in Milwaukee (and Madison). Now days we're just a nitch sport in SE WI. It would be interesting to have an NHL team in WI, but it split it's home games between Madison, GB and Milwaukee. That could maybe work.

Comment

Curious to have had no Greenway updates since the USHL draft.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

School is/just finished up, maybe it's related to that.

Comment

I'm assuming he's gone and I'm moving on. If he stays, great.

EDIT: Sin City or City of Sinners?
                            Last edited by MadCityRich; 05-23-2018, 10:11 PM.

Comment

EDIT: Sin City or City of Sinners?
                              Great observation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Great observation.
                                Chris Peter just tweeted it appears he is leaving for the USHL. The Steel traded his rights to Dubuque.
                                Last edited by DPlaya; 05-24-2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X