Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

I kind of expect Connelly to do the "coaching," by analyzing video and such, but he can't be on the ice as he is a team official.
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      So.....no goaltender coach for arguably the most important position on a hockey team. This season just keeps getting more and more frustrating.

Some players have been talking about their 6th place pick in the pre-season coach's poll. Don't TALK about it, DO something about it!
      Well, to be fair they can't really DO anything about it for a few weeks.
      Sure, they can practice and watch video and lift weights and all of the preparatory stuff...but they can't really DO anything about their perceived spot in the pecking order until the games start.

Comment

I vote @MadCityRich for goalie coach.

Or full time skype with Korn.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          I kind of expect Connelly to do the "coaching," by analyzing video and such, but he can't be on the ice as he is a team official.
          I think I recall an interview with Sanger saying something along the lines of "by the time they get to this level, they know how to play goalie, they know the techniques and how to work on them. 95% of what I do is work with them on the mental aspects of playing in goal."

If that's the case, then it might not be a disaster as Connelly can probably really help work with those things. Plus Connelly has been getting coaching experience at the international level the last couple of years, which is good.

Worst thing that a parent can go through for Sanger. Really feel for the family and hope all comes out alright.

Could it be that Tony and Jeff talked about Jeff needing to take this year with the family and perhaps they're thinking he might return next year if all is well? If something like that is the case, then it might make sense to just bring in Winchester for this year and have Connelly help to get through. I'd support that.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            I think I recall an interview with Sanger saying something along the lines of "by the time they get to this level, they know how to play goalie, they know the techniques and how to work on them. 95% of what I do is work with them on the mental aspects of playing in goal."
            NHL teams have goalie coaches, D1 men's and women's teams have goalie coaches, UW needs to have one.

I am irritated by the lack of continuity within the coaching staff. It's a revolving door.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              NHL teams have goalie coaches, D1 men's and women's teams have goalie coaches, UW needs to have one.

I am irritated by the lack of continuity within the coaching staff. It's a revolving door.
              I don't think there's any reason to be irritated by Sanger taking off to spend time with his family under the circumstances. Certainly that can't be helped.

We've all had this conversation before re: goalie coaches. I'm not sure there are tons of high level goalie coaches in Madison willing to give up camp coaching, take the time off from work, and coach goalies at UW all the time in exchange for game tix and a t-shirt. But I'd encourage anyone with a list of all those coaches who do fit that profile to forward it to UW staff.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I think there is nuance her that Granato alludes to in the article. Connely can't be on the ice during the actual team practice (i.e. designated practice time with the coaches.) But, since he isn't a coach, I'm pretty sure that means he CAN spend time on the ice outside of the designated coached practices with just the goalies (much like the team is allowed to work on-ice without the team's coaches, but with external coaches, former teammates, etc. during the summer or outside of practice, or how they can work with UW strength and conditioning staff (but not coaches) outside of the designated practice times. So, in this case, Connely's limits for not being able to coach "during practice," could actually allow for more actual goalie coaching outside of designated official practice time, because he is not a coach. You know, the usual, completely sensical NCAA rules...

From the article: "UW has a former goalie on its staff in director of hockey operations Shane Connelly. Under NCAA rules, however, operations staff members can't do any coaching during practice.

"They'll be taken care of," Granato said. "That's certainly something we're aware of from a coaching standpoint on making sure they get the proper work. We'll go out early (to practice) with them.""

Comment

TV schedule.

https://uwbadgers.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey&

18 games on TV. Not even all of the home games... Good grief.
                  Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                    TV schedule.

Glad to see the promise of the Big Ten Network really paying off in hockey coverage...

Comment

Originally posted by sunprairie View Post
                      Glad to see the promise of the Big Ten Network really paying off in hockey coverage...
                      Dripping with sarcasm. I agree with you. almost all the TV is non BTN. But BTN plus will cover the rest for mo money!
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                        TV schedule.

None of the games @ UND, UND or UM are on TV. Ridiculous.

If Sanger needs to be with his family, by all means be there, family comes first. It's still TG's responsibility to find another goalie coach. No disrespect to Cons, but he isn't a goalie coach, he's an x goalie, it doesn't mean he can coach. I find no other way to characterize this other than very distressing.

I can't wait until Friday night and get to chant "more goals than shots". It's better be a bloodbath @ LaBahn.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                          TV schedule.

And this is what Barry “I’m not a hockey guy” Alvarez touted as a bonus of forming the B10 hockey conference. There would be more coverage via btn. Welp, several years in and same old ****.
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Dripping with sarcasm. I agree with you. almost all the TV is non BTN. But BTN plus will cover the rest for mo money!
                            With all of the alternate feeds BTN has that sit unused on cable and Dish systems on Friday and Saturday nights, that BTN Plu$ racket really grinds my gears...

Comment

• Originally posted by sunprairie View Post
                              With all of the alternate feeds BTN has that sit unused on cable and Dish systems on Friday and Saturday nights, that BTN Plu$ racket really grinds my gears...
                              As an EPL supporter that has to pay for NBC Sports Gold, I agree.
                              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                                Exactly!

Also, I know he’s older but would Howie consider coaching for a year until they land a permanent goalie coach?
                                He's not too old to run his camps in 5 different cities! However, Im sure he has lots of help and has some time for the Badgers ;-) , after all, he's the Chancellor of Goaltender University.

HOWIE, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when we come for you?
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X