Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Despair. This is a 4th place team right now and the coaches are lost.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
      AGREED and besides for the fact that three blue chippers have gone to other teams in our own conference. It's a mess and closing in on a disaster. Maybe the coaches should have been working this instead of being at some cottage celebrating birthdays.
      I'm not sure what they could have done with the Cryers. They changed their minds and apparently the coaches couldn't convince them they WOULD get more playing time, which they of course cannot guarantee. Sampo's deal someone f'ed up. His score was too low. When did they know about it?
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        Despair. This is a 4th place team right now and the coaches are lost.
        Also, upper deck tickets are still more than 12 bucks. That has nothing to do with Ranta, but if I'm going to be sad about Badgers hockey this morning, I may as well remember UW's refusal to acknowledge that they need to build the program like Penn State or the 10-years-ago version of the Nashville Predators, assuming they want to be a major men's college hockey program. Even a first-place elite team won't bring in fans unless there's not a Frozen Four run, because they have to care in order to care.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
          Also, upper deck tickets are still more than 12 bucks. That has nothing to do with Ranta, but if I'm going to be sad about Badgers hockey this morning, I may as well remember UW's refusal to acknowledge that they need to build the program like Penn State or the 10-years-ago version of the Nashville Predators, assuming they want to be a major men's college hockey program. Even a first-place elite team won't bring in fans unless there's not a Frozen Four run, because they have to care in order to care.
          Amen!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

I would guess the staff knew all summer that Sampo was at serious risk as he didn't come for summer school and obviously, he wasn't admitted yet. It seems to me that Sampo really wanted to play college hockey, but being a Badger wasn't a priority.

Meh... I'm not committing Hara-Kiri yet. I was super high on Sampo's skill set all last year and am really disappointed that he's gone over to the dark side, but it's done. Eight weeks from today we open against BC, who I think will be a top 10 team. Gotta get to work.

I think a guy living in a van down by the river could probably coach this team to a 4th place finish in the B1G. There's talent here.

On paper right now, we might have the best D corp in the league, and that's worth a lot. I look at what Oz did with Ess and Kalynuk last year and it bodes well for what can be done with Miller and Emberson, who are both more talented. (Miller's ceiling is unlimited) Berry has shown flashes of brilliance in the past and perhaps without the bizarre adventure with Hayton looming over him, he will settle in and play like he's shown he can, more consistently.

The biggest loss with Ranta is on the PP where his big shot could have been a real weapon, but there are other guys who can score, notably from up top. Great coaches get the most out of their guys, and if we do have great coaches, guys like like Freytag, Zimmer, or Johnson (or all of them) could bust out and have a big year. Dhooghe just had 3g-6a-9pts. in 7 games at WJ summer showcase. Mersch and Messner are mature freshman and can contribute right away. Gorniak has terrific skates and a good skill set, as well as being a terrific athlete. Perhaps he can make the transition smoothly. Baker had a great NHL camp with Vegas and I believe Malone will do anything to win. There's a lot of upside available on this team.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

The good news is that we can burn the entire program to the ground, and it probably wouldn’t impact most Badger fans.

Yes, I’m feeling nihilistic after yet another in a long series of gut-punches.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                I would guess the staff knew all summer that Sampo was at serious risk as he didn't come for summer school and obviously, he wasn't admitted yet. It seems to me that Sampo really wanted to play college hockey, but being a Badger wasn't a priority.

Meh... I'm not committing Hara-Kiri yet. I was super high on Sampo's skill set all last year and am really disappointed that he's gone over to the dark side, but it's done. Eight weeks from today we open against BC, who I think will be a top 10 team. Gotta get to work.

I think a guy living in a van down by the river could probably coach this team to a 4th place finish in the B1G. There's talent here.

On paper right now, we might have the best D corp in the league, and that's worth a lot. I look at what Oz did with Ess and Kalynuk last year and it bodes well for what can be done with Miller and Emberson, who are both more talented. (Miller's ceiling is unlimited) Berry has shown flashes of brilliance in the past and perhaps without the bizarre adventure with Hayton looming over him, he will settle in and play like he's shown he can, more consistently.

The biggest loss with Ranta is on the PP where his big shot could have been a real weapon, but there are other guys who can score, notably from up top. Great coaches get the most out of their guys, and if we do have great coaches, guys like like Freytag, Zimmer, or Johnson (or all of them) could bust out and have a big year. Dhooghe just had 3g-6a-9pts. in 7 games at WJ summer showcase. Mersch and Messner are mature freshman and can contribute right away. Gorniak has terrific skates and a good skill set, as well as being a terrific athlete. Perhaps he can make the transition smoothly. Baker had a great NHL camp with Vegas and I believe Malone will do anything to win. There's a lot of upside available on this team.
                You bring up a great point re development. 22, 17 and 15 have shown flashes but no big production leaps. I frankly don’t see it happening.

The jury is still out re this coaching staff imo. We should expect results meaning an NCAA invite and one win in the tourney this year.

Then an FF appearance next year or 25 wins or more etc., these coaches need to stand on the gas like al unser jr., down the straight at Indianapolis.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  You bring up a great point re development. 22, 17 and 15 have shown flashes but no big production leaps. I frankly don’t see it happening.

The jury is still out re this coaching staff imo. We should expect results meaning an NCAA invite and one win in the tourney this year.

Then an FF appearance next year or 25 wins or more etc., these coaches need to stand on the gas like al unser jr., down the straight at Indianapolis.
                  Always love a good Al Unser Jr. reference!

I'm hoping Johnson just hit a slump because it seems like he just couldn't buy a goal even with Buffet money for a good stretch there last year.

I felt like something finally clicked for Zimmer somewhere in the last 8-10 games. He suddenly started doing what you have to do to to create scoring chances. Namely, get the freakin' puck back. Do I think he's going to suddenly have 15 goals? No. But he only had 30 shots on the year. With his skates, if he plays at 100 mph like he showed can in the late games, he could get 2-3x that and maybe put ten in and/or create some points for others.

I've said several times before that I think Freytag could score goals if given the chance. He had 9g on 64 shots in 29 games. (and that 64 is almost all his attempts because he puts it on the net, not in the stands) 14% shot percentage was second only to Frederic on the team. But look at the low minutes he played. Every other game 4th line in the first half. No PP, and then some steadier 3rd line time in the last third of the season. I'm not saying he should have been up higher, but with the 110-130 shots top liners get, his production line is up at 17-18 goals. I don't know if he'll get a bigger role this year, but if he does, there's some reason to think he can produce.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                    +1......Not to be Debbie Downer, but tell me again WHY should I renew my tickets? Guys, this isn't about Sampo alone, it's become a track record. I agree that the jury is still out on the guys who originally blew our socks off.
                    Last edited by MadCityRich; 08-18-2018, 11:19 AM.
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                      +1......Not to be Debbie Downer, but tell me again WHY should I renew my tickets? Guys, this isn't about Sampo alone, it's become a track record. I agree that the jury is still out on the guys who originally blew our socks off.
                      Still going to see the #1 and #5 incoming Freshman D in the country (going by the draft) I think K'andre Miller will be worth the price of admission. Gorniak was probably the #2 guy overall at the NHL combine testing behind Liam Foudy who is already signed with the Blue Jackets. Seamus needs just 23 points for 100. Linus is exciting, Kalynuk and Baker too. There are players to watch here.
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                        Still going to see the #1 and #5 incoming Freshman D in the country (going by the draft) I think K'andre Miller will be worth the price of admission. Gorniak was probably the #2 guy overall at the NHL combine testing behind Liam Foudy who is already signed with the Blue Jackets. Seamus needs just 23 points for 100. Linus is exciting, Kalynuk and Baker too. There are players to watch here.
                        They need to play consistently in whatever system they run. They need to eliminate the breakdowns in the system and solid hockey. When you watch the women's team play, they are a consistent machine out there. Sure, they have the most talent in the country and that makes it look easy most of the time, but the bottom line is they have very very few "oh crap" type moments. The men, with the talent they have, if they play a smart game, will win enough of them to make us fans happy enough this season.

Comment

Seamus needs just 23 points for 100. .
                          Seamus is going 125 easy, might even get to 150, depends on his line mates Linus and Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            Seamus is going 125 easy, might even get to 150, depends on his line mates Linus and Jack.
                            Oops, I have to correct myself. Seamus only officially needs 22, he's sitting at 78. It's a pretty significant mark and sadly, Cameron Hughes fell just 8 short last year.

Since 2000, when Steve Reinprecht finished his stellar career with 162 points, only 10 Badgers have garnered 100 or more career points. Without looking them up, anybody care to guess any of the names on that list?
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              Oops, I have to correct myself. Seamus only officially needs 22, he's sitting at 78. It's a pretty significant mark and sadly, Cameron Hughes fell just 8 short last year.

Since 2000, when Steve Reinprecht finished his stellar career with 162 points, only 10 Badgers have garnered 100 or more career points. Without looking them up, anybody care to guess any of the names on that list?
                              Heatley, Bourque?, Pavelski? Gilbert?
                              Hmmmm

Comment

I came up with Pavelski, Earl, and Geoffrion before I caved and looked.
                                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Working...
                                X