Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Let's go RED!

Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    **** the Bruins. I've hated them for a long time.
    I second that motion. Thankfully there are no ex-Badgers on that team. That would be tragic. Thankfully the b-hawks don't have any anymore. Now if only the Wild would be cleansed.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I second that motion. Thankfully there are no ex-Badgers on that team. That would be tragic. Thankfully the b-hawks don't have any anymore. Now if only the Wild would be cleansed.
    Suter isn't going anywhere for a long time. #LGW

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

Looking at a Tweet from Todd, it looks like the Badger hockey team could be bumped to play playoffs at the Coliseum in the future. This is a bunch of ****. This is so 70's and 80ish. Bump hockey, kiss everybody else's asses.

@ToddMilewski
    I got some clarification on how the WIAA boys basketball tournament could impact @BadgerMHockey in future years if it hosts playoffs:
    2019: Tourney during B1G semifinals and UW would play on Sunday
    2020-22: Tourney during B1G championship and UW would play at Coliseum*
    *The asterisk is there because the NCAA has been asked to consider allowing Sunday conference championship games, which could allow UW to play at the Kohl Center. I haven't heard an update on where that is in the NCAA process. ESPN had to be considered because of selection show.

Badger Backer

WIAA and UW extended their HS championships agreement through 2025 this morning, meaning that if the B10 tourney format stays the same, the Badgers will not be able to host a championship (if they earn one) on their home ice for that same timeframe since basketball lands the same weekend of the B10 finals. I get that the Colosseum holds nostalgia for the program, but boy will it suck if we get to the point where we earn home ice in a tournament final and have to play that game in a facility that is neither our home, nor one that actually has regular, well-conditioned ice anymore. (Also, this means that with La Bahn excluded from Frozen Four hosting eligibility due to its short-sighted three-sided 2,250 capacity, the Badger Women also will continue to be unable to host a national championship final at the Kohl Center, either.)

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/h...4da4ac241.html

Sad Panda
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin

Stinks for the hockey programs, but clearly the money is much better with the WIAA and that's why they'd go that way with it.

Teaching you how to Bucky.

I, of course, will always love the Coli and have thought it would be cool to play a nostalgia game there every year, maybe at the holiday break or to kick off the year, something just to keep the old traditions alive.

I realize I'm probably far in the minority there and most fans value a comfortable seat over nostalgia by a good deal anyway, which is all fine with me. Having said that though, playing a championship game there would just completely suck. Not that I think there's anything to be worried about next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Looking at a Tweet from Todd, it looks like the Badger hockey team could be bumped to play playoffs at the Coliseum in the future. This is a bunch of ****. This is so 70's and 80ish. Bump hockey, kiss everybody else's asses.

@ToddMilewski
    I got some clarification on how the WIAA boys basketball tournament could impact @BadgerMHockey in future years if it hosts playoffs:
    2019: Tourney during B1G semifinals and UW would play on Sunday
    2020-22: Tourney during B1G championship and UW would play at Coliseum*
    *The asterisk is there because the NCAA has been asked to consider allowing Sunday conference championship games, which could allow UW to play at the Kohl Center. I haven't heard an update on where that is in the NCAA process. ESPN had to be considered because of selection show.
    This is horse****. How the hell does an NCAA team get moved in favor of a high school sport? This ****es me off beyond belief.

They would NEVER pull this garbage with the precious big 2 sports.

Is Alvarez responsible? Cause someone is getting a piece of my mind

I'll take the occasion to talk banners, fans bringing signs and BLC while I'm at it.

When the Badgers were still at the Coliseum, there was a conflict almost every year with farm shows, cars shows etc. The Kohl Center is a UW facility. UW SHOULD come first. It was understandable because the Coliseum is a county facility, but at the time, Badger hockey was king. Who remembers the Badgers being bumped from the Coliseum to play at Hartmeyer? I do, I was there.
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 03-14-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    I, of course, will always love the Coli and have thought it would be cool to play a nostalgia game there every year, maybe at the holiday break or to kick off the year, something just to keep the old traditions alive.

I realize I'm probably far in the minority there and most fans value a comfortable seat over nostalgia by a good deal anyway, which is all fine with me. Having said that though, playing a championship game there would just completely suck. Not that I think there's anything to be worried about next year.
    Not to mention it only holds 8600 for hockey compared to 15,000 for the Kohl.

Badger Backer

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    This is horse****. How the hell does an NCAA team get moved in favor of a high school sport? This ****es me off beyond belief.

They would NEVER pull this garbage with the precious big 2 sports.

Is Alvarez responsible? Cause someone is getting a piece of my mind

I'll take the occasion to talk banners, fans bringing signs and BLC while I'm at it.
    Be prepared to have to explain to Barry that Wisconsin has a hockey program before you start your rant.

Quote Originally Posted by sunprairie View Post
    Be prepared to have to explain to Barry that Wisconsin has a hockey program before you start your rant.
    No ****ing ****. We had to remind him before he hired G2O.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhinwi View Post
    Stinks for the hockey programs, but clearly the money is much better with the WIAA and that's why they'd go that way with it.
    Money, economic impact, plus they showcase UW to tens of thousands of people and prospective students every year. That's a big deal to the University. Having the little McBadgerton going through the college selection process right now reminds one of how much $$ Universities spend on recruiting students and how relentless they are about it. I hose down my my bushes out front every morning in case school reps are hiding there.
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Not to mention it only holds 8600 for hockey compared to 15,000 for the Kohl.
    Right, this is the biggest reason it would suck to me. Get a season going, get back the fans, then tell half of them to take a hike the last home game.
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Having the little McBadgerton going through the college selection process right now
    There is NO choice to be made, correct?

Sad Panda

For mine there is. She's only 13, but she wants to go to Madison. She won't be going there for 50k per year for out of state tuition though. Forget that...

Ha! My son is a senior and he is accepted at Mad Town, but that is "too close to home." He is looking at UW-M and MSOE in the big city. He will always be a badger fan as I have taken him to countless men and women hockey games and the occasional BB and FB games, but he wants nothing to do with college there. Plus I think the engineering "recruit" day pretty well expressed its a big college and they don't care about you. Not the case at Platteville, Milwaukee and MSOE..... If I was in shoes, I wouldn't go to UW either. Plus he is accepted to play on the D3 lacrosse team at MSOE provided we can figure out the ridiculous cost to attend there.....
    Last edited by WiscTJK; 03-14-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunprairie View Post
    Ha!

I can also explain 6>0 and 6>1 insofar as national championships men's hockey vs football and basketball.

Also quick aside, has Wisconsin produced more NHL or NFL players? I'd love to know that stat.

Let's go RED!

For mine there is. She's only 13, but she wants to go to Madison. She won't be going there for 50k per year for out of state tuition though. Forget that...
    So you are moving back to Wisconsin! Fantastic news! I'll let you use my house as her legal address for a small fee.

Sad Panda

So you are moving back to Wisconsin! Fantastic news! I'll let you use my house as her legal address for a small fee.
    I'm planning on having her live with my parents for a year, but your offer will go onto the board as well.

Not for me, of course. I'm just waiting for Tony to call so I can use up the eligibility I've been saving. As a graduate transfer, I can play right away. So far Eaves and Sauer let me down on that front.

The little McBadgerton is a little genius though (obviously takes after her mother) and while UW is somewhere on the list, so are a bunch of fancy and ridiculously expensive East Coast schools. blech.

Visited U of Florida which is, I guess, a top 10 ranked public U. The campus is fantastic and I was much more impressed than I ever thought I'd be. Plus The Swamp is pretty cool. Florida has Bright Futures scholarships that provides every student with a 3.5 GPA (little McB has a 5 point something... how the hell can that even be? These new fangled grades are weird.) that does moderately well on SAT/ACT and performs 100 hours of community service, all tuition and fees plus book allowance at any of 40 in-state Florida public schools, Colleges and Universities paid for 4 years with no regard to financial status.

So --- $75k+ going to school with Chad and Muffy, which, let's face it, there are definite advantages to; $50k for UW, the greatest school in the world; or just pay living expenses at a fine AAU member public University that I can drive to. I know what my pocketbook says... but we'll just have to wait and consider what the little McBadgerton says, too. Or so I'm told... I'm not too sure... The little McB once said she might like Florida State because the campus is "pretty". I'm like "That's where all the Florida rejects go! Get with the program!"
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Thread Information