Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

What's your take on the Bruins needing Frederic? To me Donato's the priority and if they sign him not only do they not need Freddy at Boston, they don't really need him at Providence either.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      Article is complete BS. Bothered me so much I tweeted the author. 2012 was $7.6 million in revenues for Women's hockey....Yeah, that sounds right!

Forgot to mention the $11.4 million in expenses. And obviously Labahn tix aren't $200 a pop. Those revenues include all gifts for facilities and of course the expenses as well. 2016 revenues were $1 million, expenses $ 3.3 million. Think anybody wants to pay back $100,000 per player?

Just burns me that this dude is an econ professor and uses a Forbes platform for this garbage article.
      I tweeted the clown too. He talks about Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson. North Dakota discontinued women's hockey it was losing so much money.
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
        I tweeted the clown too. He talks about Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson. North Dakota discontinued women's hockey it was losing so much money.
        Good. This guy should have to retract this story and apologize to Team USA and the schools. I wish a UW AD would follow up.
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Good. This guy should have to retract this story and apologize to Team USA and the schools. I wish a UW AD would follow up.
          Milewski wasn't a fan of the article, but doesn't necessarily have the time to write anything about it right now.

Sent an e-mail to the Athletic Department, we'll see what comes of that.

Sent a tweet to the writer, we'll see what happens.

Sent an e-mail to the corrections address for Forbes, their quick reply was "this has been forwarded to the author for review".

One way or another the author will see that people are noticing his cherry-picking and incomplete stats...I doubt he'll do anything about it. He seems to have an agenda and will likely stand by his article with "The athletes are responsible for the revenue, they should get a share. The school is responsible for the expenses, those aren't on the athletes and should have no bearing in the athletes' compensation"

Comment

Do you think he was even aware that UND discontinued their women's hockey program? I am going to go with no.

Comment

What's your take on the Bruins needing Frederic? To me Donato's the priority and if they sign him not only do they not need Freddy at Boston, they don't really need him at Providence either.
              Donato is Boston's #1 priority without question and for good reason.

For Frederic, I don't have a strong stance either way. He was inconsistent at times this year, I would say it comes down to what the Bruins view his potential to be. It wouldn't hurt him to stay a year and Boston would still be able to sign him next year without free agency issues.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                Donato is Boston's #1 priority without question and for good reason.

For Frederic, I don't have a strong stance either way. He was inconsistent at times this year, I would say it comes down to what the Bruins view his potential to be. It wouldn't hurt him to stay a year and Boston would still be able to sign him next year without free agency issues.
                I read somewhere that Boston's feeling that Frederic's ceiling as a 3rd liner changed somewhat last year after he put up points and displayed his scoring ability and shot more. And if they think he can be a top 6 center down the road, that he'd likely benefit from staying in NCAA and developing his confidence and scoring touch with big minutes vs. lesser competition another year. Going to Providence and getting less minutes probably behind Karrlson, Czarnik, Donato, etc. and getting whacked around a lot in the A might tend to push him back to just focusing on playing his two way game. Made some sense to me. He's not going to the NHL with the Bruins in the next year plus as far as I can see. Hope he is staying.

I'll be interested to see how Hughes does. I've thought that his upside is very good and he might make a better pro than a college player as he has the skates and thinks the game really well. Thought he was waiting on guys a lot this year.

Congrats to Matt Ustaski as he scored his first professional goal cleaning up a rebound on the PP yesterday in just his second game.
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I read somewhere that Boston's feeling that Frederic's ceiling as a 3rd liner changed somewhat last year after he put up points and displayed his scoring ability and shot more. And if they think he can be a top 6 center down the road, that he'd likely benefit from staying in NCAA and developing his confidence and scoring touch with big minutes vs. lesser competition another year. Going to Providence and getting less minutes probably behind Karrlson, Czarnik, Donato, etc. and getting whacked around a lot in the A might tend to push him back to just focusing on playing his two way game. Made some sense to me. He's not going to the NHL with the Bruins in the next year plus as far as I can see. Hope he is staying.

I'll be interested to see how Hughes does. I've thought that his upside is very good and he might make a better pro than a college player as he has the skates and thinks the game really well. Thought he was waiting on guys a lot this year.

Congrats to Matt Ustaski as he scored his first professional goal cleaning up a rebound on the PP yesterday in just his second game.
                  I read the same thing that they view him as a NHL 3rd liner, I think that is a honest evaluation.

I had the same thought, if they think he is a 3rd liner get him toughen up in the AHL as soon as possible. If they think he is more of a scorer, allow him to grow in college. Bruin's are pretty deep at the moment, they can afford to be patient either way. A 3rd line center with some scoring touch is pretty valuable.
                  Last edited by bucky15; 03-13-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Trent Federic signs with the Bruins.

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/brui...ct/c-296910028
                    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                    https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Well, with the new thread, I've updated the recruiting spreadsheet as we have officially moved onto the '18-'19 season. Frederic has been removed from the roster.

Oh, and I'm sure two people enjoyed watching the process of me editing. Thanks Google Sheets!
                      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                        Well, with the new thread, I've updated the recruiting spreadsheet as we have officially moved onto the '18-'19 season. Frederic has been removed from the roster.

Oh, and I'm sure two people enjoyed watching the process of me editing. Thanks Google Sheets!
                        Thanks for keeping it updated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Thanks for keeping it updated!!
                          No worries. Happy to do it.
                          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

So Freddy is gone, I'm not all that broken up about it knowing TG's philosophy. I agree he probably could have used another year in college.

So the big 8 left are:
                            Freytag Malone Johnson
                            Zimmer Baker S Dhooghe
                            Weissbach Ranta

Next level 7
                            J Dhooghe Zirbel Labosky
                            Mersch Messner Caulfield (all 30ish point ushl guys)
                            Peltonen

Out of the next 7, Zirbel is probably the next one in, then JDh, then 2 of the freshmen I guess. The biggest question is will Zirbel or J Dh also get beat out by freshmen.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

What's with all they guys from St. Louis leaving early and thinking they're so good? 🤣

Seriously, any money is difficult to turn down and I believe it's almost 1 million? Any bonuses applied? I expected Kunin to go last year, but this one surprised me a little. I think the Bruins got to him and the Badgers probably still rebuilding.

**** the Bruins. I've hated them for a long time.
                              Last edited by MadCityRich; 03-13-2018, 10:07 PM.
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Congratulations to Trent Frederic for embarking on his pro career. Sorry to see him go, seems like we were just getting to know him and he's gone. Such is college hockey life since the CBA changed. So long and thanks for all the goals, Freddy. Always a Badger.

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                So Freddy is gone, I'm not all that broken up about it knowing TG's philosophy. I agree he probably could have used another year in college.

So the big 8 left are:
                                Freytag Malone Johnson
                                Zimmer Baker S Dhooghe
                                Weissbach Ranta

Next level 7
                                J Dhooghe Zirbel Labosky
                                Mersch Messner Caulfield (all 30ish point ushl guys)
                                Peltonen

Out of the next 7, Zirbel is probably the next one in, then JDh, then 2 of the freshmen I guess. The biggest question is will Zirbel or J Dh also get beat out by freshmen.
                                At this point I think Mersch, Messner, and Ranta are the only NLI signed F's we're certain about. I'd venture Peltonen is almost certainly not coming in. Caufield may seem likely, but I wonder... Frederic was on as close to a full ride as you can get and Caufield probably isn't slated for the same money so you could put him off and bring him in with his brother next year. Other options would be any of a couple of high scoring Euro's, or Mathieu De St. Phalle, a bigger playmaker, is playing top line wing for Omaha, '99 born Roman Ahcan is playing 2nd line wing for Cedar Rapids, Jack Gorniak out of West Salem has been ranked in the 50's by Central Scouting, and Ben Almquist, another '99 who had 56 points in 25 games for Holy Family Catholic could all possibly accelerate.

A problem next year is now we're short of Centers. Malone, Baker, and Zirbel are the only natural centers coming back and the 3 freshman F's are all wings. Top 6 is maybe Ranta -Malone -Weissbach and Zimmer -Baker-Johnson. I liked how Freytag and Zimmer came on toward the end of the year, Dhooghe's a question mark, could play anywhere top to bottom. Mersch can score goals so I wouldn't be surprised to see him anywhere either. Messner would make a good 3rd line wing, too. It's going to be interesting... Spring signing is in the second week of April I think.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X