Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Interview with Coach Tony:

Just reviewed the list of NCAA champs...BC has been in the title game 8 times in the last 20 years...I donít want to hear any crap about parity or x and y have changed since Badger Bob. Yorkís tenure is a stark reminder that the greats just get it done.

Sad Panda
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin

Jeff Sanger has left the program as a volunteer and is replaced by Brad Winchester.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...a643bfe33.html

Didn't know about Sanger's sons health issues. Wish the family all the of best in dealing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Just reviewed the list of NCAA champs...BC has been in the title game 8 times in the last 20 years...I donít want to hear any crap about parity or x and y have changed since Badger Bob. Yorkís tenure is a stark reminder that the greats just get it done.
    Maybe Tony Granato and company are not good enough to get it done. Maybe Tony was just too preoccupied last year to do his job at UW. We will find out this upcoming year I suppose.

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    So.....no goaltender coach for arguably the most important position on a hockey team. This season just keeps getting more and more frustrating.

Some players have been talking about their 6th place pick in the pre-season coach's poll. Don't TALK about it, DO something about it!

Sad Panda
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    So.....no goaltender coach for arguably the most important position on a hockey team. This season just keeps getting more and more frustrating.

Some players have been talking about their 6th place pick in the pre-season coach's poll. Don't TALK about it, DO something about it!
    Really want to share everyone's optimism here... but I'm just not feeling it right now. Really hope they prove me wrong this season. Come on, Bucky.

Let's go RED!

This is borderline dereliction of duty by TG not to have a goalie coach. Seriously. I'm sure Winchester is a great guy and all, but who the blank is gonna freaking help the goalies? This is just nuts. I am just totally shocked. Barry better asking some questions. Plus another Badger Alum? Are there not more qualified non Badgers to volunteer? Miller vs Strobel still bothers me. No goalie coach. That will do them wonders on the recruiting trail, eh?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    This is borderline dereliction of duty by TG not to have a goalie coach. Seriously. I'm sure Winchester is a great guy and all, but who the blank is gonna freaking help the goalies? This is just nuts. I am just totally shocked. Barry better asking some questions. Plus another Badger Alum? Are there not more qualified non Badgers to volunteer? Miller vs Strobel still bothers me. No goalie coach. That will do them wonders on the recruiting trail, eh?
    I hate to be negative, but I agree with Tim here. This has been arguably the worst position on the team for 4 years or more and now no dedicated goalie coach. yikes.

Exactly!

Also, I know heís older but would Howie consider coaching for a year until they land a permanent goalie coach?

Love Winchester but heís knows how to pot goals, not stop them. This is a serious issue and it will bite them in the ***.

What about Richter or CUJO on an interim basis? They certainly donít need money at this point. Carey?

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Exactly!

Also, I know heís older but would Howie consider coaching for a year until they land a permanent goalie coach?
    They filled the volunteer spot with Winchester, there's no opening for him or any goalie coach right now. Just INSANE!

Hard to be optimistic with news like this. I am sure Sanger has been distracted with his kids health, but you have to have a dedicated goalie coach, right?

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I hate to be negative, but I agree with Tim here. This has been arguably the worst position on the team for 4 years or more and now no dedicated goalie coach. yikes.
    I don't want to be negative either, I want the lads to win every game by 10 goals and I support them 100%, this is about TG's effectiveness as a CEO of a college hockey team, which to me is now officially under question. I sure hope the media doesn't give him a press pass. Reputation and experience and heritage are nothing without a plan that will yield success.

Trying to be positive, I sure hope him being there 100% of the time will pay dividends this year, no distractions of finishing his degree or the Olympics. Not having a goalie coach may torpedo the plus of him being there all the time.

Tech Grad, Badger Fan

College hockey needs to get the NCAA to permit another paid coaching position. As a volunteer only position, it is going to be much more difficult to consistently fill the job with a quality goalie coach. In football, they have coaches and analysts tripping over themselves. Doesn't basketball have four paid coaching positions? And that team is half the size of a hockey team. As long as hockey is limited to three paid coaches, the lack of a goalie coach will be a perennial problem. Is there any easy way to determine how many Div I hockey programs don't have a goalie coach? I know Wisconsin's dilemma isn't unique, but how common is it to have no goalie coach?

I kind of expect Connelly to do the "coaching," by analyzing video and such, but he can't be on the ice as he is a team official.

Well, to be fair they can't really DO anything about it for a few weeks.
    Sure, they can practice and watch video and lift weights and all of the preparatory stuff...but they can't really DO anything about their perceived spot in the pecking order until the games start.

I vote @MadCityRich for goalie coach.

Or full time skype with Korn.

Teaching you how to Bucky.

I kind of expect Connelly to do the "coaching," by analyzing video and such, but he can't be on the ice as he is a team official.
    I think I recall an interview with Sanger saying something along the lines of "by the time they get to this level, they know how to play goalie, they know the techniques and how to work on them. 95% of what I do is work with them on the mental aspects of playing in goal."

If that's the case, then it might not be a disaster as Connelly can probably really help work with those things. Plus Connelly has been getting coaching experience at the international level the last couple of years, which is good.

Worst thing that a parent can go through for Sanger. Really feel for the family and hope all comes out alright.

Could it be that Tony and Jeff talked about Jeff needing to take this year with the family and perhaps they're thinking he might return next year if all is well? If something like that is the case, then it might make sense to just bring in Winchester for this year and have Connelly help to get through. I'd support that.
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    I think I recall an interview with Sanger saying something along the lines of "by the time they get to this level, they know how to play goalie, they know the techniques and how to work on them. 95% of what I do is work with them on the mental aspects of playing in goal."
    NHL teams have goalie coaches, D1 men's and women's teams have goalie coaches, UW needs to have one.

I am irritated by the lack of continuity within the coaching staff. It's a revolving door.

Teaching you how to Bucky.

NHL teams have goalie coaches, D1 men's and women's teams have goalie coaches, UW needs to have one.

I am irritated by the lack of continuity within the coaching staff. It's a revolving door.
    I don't think there's any reason to be irritated by Sanger taking off to spend time with his family under the circumstances. Certainly that can't be helped.

We've all had this conversation before re: goalie coaches. I'm not sure there are tons of high level goalie coaches in Madison willing to give up camp coaching, take the time off from work, and coach goalies at UW all the time in exchange for game tix and a t-shirt. But I'd encourage anyone with a list of all those coaches who do fit that profile to forward it to UW staff.
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Thread Information