Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 635

Thread: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

  1. #481
    Badger Backer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    553

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by sunprairie View Post
    If that's how it goes, I think we college hockey fans will get screwed... They have the Blackhawks game scheduled as an NBC game (which is likely the real reason for the 11:30 a.m. start.) If they did the doubleheader thing, I could see them only making it available to the fans who are at the Blackhawks game, 95 percent of whom would leave... (and since all the fairweather Hawks fans pay the exorbitant prices to sell out every game, we'd have no way to actually get tickets if we wanted them for less than $150 a pop. Otherwise, if they are going to actually turn over the stadium and send NHL fans out and let a new ticketed crowd in, we wouldn't see a start time before 6 p.m. on a Sunday, I'm guessing. Either way not good for folks hoping to travel from Wisconsin. This is a real bummer - last year's United Center game was one of the highlights for our family...

    Does anyone here know if they ever do noon hockey before a 7 p.m. basketball game at the UC? This link says it can turn around in two hours (but one line says a few extra hours are needed for basketball broadcast cabling... http://graphics.chicagotribune.com/gamechangers/
    Here's some further confusion (that actually makes me think the UC game isn't happening this year.) UW's schedule now says either the 18th (Friday) or 19th (Saturday) will be at the UC - If that's the case, then we could get a Friday UC game. But UND's schedule has no mention of the UC anymore and has a Friday 7 pm game at Kohl Center and a Saturday 3 p.m. game also at the KC...

    https://uwbadgers.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey

    https://und.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey

  2. #482
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Despite what the ticket sale said, it seems logical that since the UC is open on Friday, they would play there Friday. And if bouncy ball is in the afternoon, (I'm sure TV dictates the time there) play at the KC Saturday night. The KC takes about 3 hours to turn around for hockey. Otherwise at the KC Sunday.

    Playing in Chicago late Sunday seems to make no sense? (Oh! I guess that's why they would do it that way!)
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  3. #483
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    555

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by sunprairie View Post

    Does anyone here know if they ever do noon hockey before a 7 p.m. basketball game at the UC? This link says it can turn around in two hours (but one line says a few extra hours are needed for basketball broadcast cabling... http://graphics.chicagotribune.com/gamechangers/
    I don't know that I've ever seen a hockey then basketball double. I've seen the basketball then hockey double a few times before. Probably a lot easier to go from basketball to hockey, almost all of what you are doing there is getting rid of stuff to expose the hockey rink underneath.
    Kind of reminds me of my college days when I would be part of the local crew that would work backstage for the touring concerts. We would spend 4-6 hours setting things up and then 2 hours breaking everything down.

  4. #484
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Seamus is going 125 easy, might even get to 150, depends on his line mates Linus and Jack.
    This did get me thinking about lines the other day and I have to say I've never been at such a loss for what the chart is going to look like.

    D seems easy enough, I'd do this:

    Tischke - Miller

    Emberson - Kalynuk

    Inamoto - Ess


    Pairs the new guys with a vet and gives you three pairs I'd be comfortable playing against any top line. Could move anyone around but this is going to be a really solid D.

    With F's though, this is all I'm really comfortable with so far:


    ??? - Malone - Weissbach

    ??? - Baker - ???

    ??? - ???? - ???

    ??? - Zirbel? - ????

    Somebody is going to have to Center the third, and while there is probably 4 or 5 guys that could do it, most would be out of their natural position. Sean Dhooghe has played some C in his career and could be an option. You could put Freytag or Zimmer or Mersch there I guess, but I don't really have a clue how this is going to go together.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  5. #485
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    188
    Edit: delete.

    D-pairs Iíd like to see:

    Miller-Kalynuk
    Ess-Emberson
    Inamoto-Tischke

    Iím also the biggest proponent of #1C Tarek Baker.
    Last edited by digitalbooya; 08-30-2018 at 12:23 PM.

  6. #486
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalbooya View Post
    Edit: delete.

    D-pairs I’d like to see:

    Miller-Kalynuk
    Ess-Emberson
    Inamoto-Tischke

    I’m also the biggest proponent of #1C Tarek Baker.

    Could be anything at this point, those six are all pretty capable. My thinking is that you want Miller and Kalynuk to touch the puck a lot, and you limit their individual touches by playing them together. Tischke and probably Miller are the two best shut down defenders, Tischke can really skate and Miller may even be better. (Miller can just do everything.) They both have a ton of range to disrupt entries and potentially really limit opposing top lines. Kalynuk has a real knack for getting the puck through and can skate end to end, and while Emberson has naturally been compared to McCabe, he reminds me a little of Tom Gilbert - he just does everything right all the time. That could be a deadly pairing. I think you could get more offense out of Ess, by playing him down the line up, and I think Inamoto really improved every game last year. D needs to dominate up and down the lineup this year to have success and that pair could dominate lower lines.

    Emberson and Miller have played as a pair together a lot the last two years though, so it's possible they could remain a pair and maybe put Kalynuk with Tischke. But Oz seems to like pairing freshman with vets so that has me leaning to Tischke- Miller and Emberson -Kalynuk.

    The other thing I like this way is you put the two best defenders behind Seamus, who is probably not as good in his own end as Baker is. Baker can pick up a little slack as Kalynuk is adequate, but not nearly as good in his own end as he is going the other way. That's the thinking from the Wisko braintrust anyway - I have no real idea how it's going to go though.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  7. #487
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Could be anything at this point, those six are all pretty capable. My thinking is that you want Miller and Kalynuk to touch the puck a lot, and you limit their individual touches by playing them together. Tischke and probably Miller are the two best shut down defenders, Tischke can really skate and Miller may even be better. (Miller can just do everything.) They both have a ton of range to disrupt entries and potentially really limit opposing top lines. Kalynuk has a real knack for getting the puck through and can skate end to end, and while Emberson has naturally been compared to McCabe, he reminds me a little of Tom Gilbert - he just does everything right all the time. That could be a deadly pairing. I think you could get more offense out of Ess, by playing him down the line up, and I think Inamoto really improved every game last year. D needs to dominate up and down the lineup this year to have success and that pair could dominate lower lines.

    Emberson and Miller have played as a pair together a lot the last two years though, so it's possible they could remain a pair and maybe put Kalynuk with Tischke. But Oz seems to like pairing freshman with vets so that has me leaning to Tischke- Miller and Emberson -Kalynuk.

    The other thing I like this way is you put the two best defenders behind Seamus, who is probably not as good in his own end as Baker is. Baker can pick up a little slack as Kalynuk is adequate, but not nearly as good in his own end as he is going the other way. That's the thinking from the Wisko braintrust anyway - I have no real idea how it's going to go though.
    Itís also killer that 5 of those 6 guys are left handed. Would make the decision process for who plays where a lot easier.

    I do think you put your best defenders together if you can and since handedness wonít really be a deciding factor I think Miller should play with Kalynuk. I wonít be upset though if they mix n match. I donít see a defensive liability, like 10 was, so weíve got that going for us!

    Also, canít wait to see how Ess progresses this season! Quietly one of the better defensive defenseme Iíve seen in awhile. Wonít be talked about due to his offense but plays a key role.

    Hopefully with all 6 defenders not being liabilities Berry will have an easier time. Need him to play well and become more consistent.

  8. #488
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    555

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    And now I hit that odd point of the year where I don't have a Badger hockey calendar up at my desk.

    The season ticket package comes with a nice calendar, that runs from September to August. It has all of the games listed, and has a picture of a different player for each month.

    The ticket package usually arrives sometime in September, so I'm left with a "dead" period between when the calendar for the previous season runs out at the end of August and when the new calendar arrives a few weeks into September.

    I mention this to the director of the hockey ticketing operations every year, and it sounds like this year might actually have a September - September 13 month calendar...we'll see what happens when the ticket package arrives in a week or two.

  9. #489
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,140

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Roster posted: https://uwbadgers.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey

    No Paddy Sexton or Dan Labosky or the walk on Fin/Swede.

  10. #490
    Sad Panda
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Roster posted: https://uwbadgers.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey

    No Paddy Sexton or Dan Labosky or the walk on Fin/Swede.
    Gotta figure there is someone else coming in to fill that #15 forward spot.

  11. #491
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,140

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by gwhinwi View Post
    Gotta figure there is someone else coming in to fill that #15 forward spot.
    so the 6 D are set with Bunz and Peltonen I would assume as the backups. Hopefully no injuries there.

    Forward I always liked Zirbel and the energy he brings to the ice and hope he gets more PT this year. Going to have some freshman F's contributing right away regardless.....

    I hope Berry can be more consistent this year.

    One other item of note, is they don't list Jeff Sanger as Volunteer Assistant Coach on the staff.....

  12. #492
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    590

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Tour of new MN Wild practice facility. Ex Badger Jamie Spencer is your tour guide. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnHE...ature=youtu.be

  13. #493
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,957

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Roster posted: https://uwbadgers.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey

    No Paddy Sexton or Dan Labosky or the walk on Fin/Swede.
    Only 1 Canadian player on the roster, that is mega sad. Also only 1 non-Midwestern US born player on the team, no one from the east at all, just Johnson from California. UW needs to be able to recruit from all corners of the globe. If I was not so lazy, I'd look at the recruiting chart and see where those lads hail from. My gut reaction is mostly Midwesterners.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  14. #494
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,957

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    One other item of note, is they don't list Jeff Sanger as Volunteer Assistant Coach on the staff.....
    Hmmmm........Better get Todd D on the case.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  15. #495
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,140

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Hmmmm........Better get Todd D on the case.
    Already did. He is working on it. He had some theories, but it wasn't confirmed so I won't post those here.

  16. #496
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,957

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Already did. He is working on it. He had some theories, but it wasn't confirmed so I won't post those here.
    I love giving Todd leads on possible stories, I do that on the women's side quite frequently because Mark Johnson is mega hush hush on everything. Maybe YOU are Todd D.....
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  17. #497
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,140

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I love giving Todd leads on possible stories, I do that on the women's side quite frequently because Mark Johnson is mega hush hush on everything. Maybe YOU are Todd D.....
    sadly no, I am Todd, but Todd K....

  18. #498
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,272

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Updated the decommit/non-pro early departure list.

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18ImvKLUHKZyhn5-GSaO-5FHUVbRJv9Uypm4FIAQuLj8

    Itís amazing: only eight NHL draft picks on roster this year. Weíve lost four since the last season ended.
    Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 09-07-2018 at 01:33 PM.

  19. #499
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,957

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Updated the decommit/non-pro early departure list.

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...9Uypm4FIAQuLj8

    Itís amazing: only eight NHL draft picks on roster this year. Weíve lost four since the last season ended.
    That is a lot of talent down the crapper......
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  20. #500
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    555

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

    Some interesting tidbits from Todd recently




    Would be interesting to see how ticketing is handled, since this comes long after the season tickets packages were purchased.

    Also of interest is that it looks like the game in Chicago may or may not happen this year. That would create another situation for tickets since only one of the home Notre Dame games was included in the season ticket package.

    Also saw a couple of familiar names on this line chart

    Last edited by KaMiGo; 09-07-2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: copy/paste error

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •