Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

60 minutes, no excuses, no alibis (maybe I have that backwards) either way this team needs to land in the ncaa’s this year.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      60 minutes, no excuses, no alibis (maybe I have that backwards) either way this team needs to land in the ncaa’s this year.
      Agreed. Sad to say, but they need to move the program forward this year. Anything other than a tournament appearance will be a failure.
      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
        Agreed. Sad to say, but they need to move the program forward this year. Anything other than a tournament appearance will be a failure.
        yes and yes. I don't want to hear excuses about the tough conference, blah, blah, blah.
        Last edited by WiscTJK; 09-24-2018, 03:26 PM.
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I think it's going to take a really good team to go over .500 with this schedule. So let's say about 17-18 RS wins. If the system works the way it's supposed to, (and provided the B1G teams win NC games as they're supposed to) that should probably be enough to be in the top 16 (or better) going into the post season conference tourney.

In the old WCHA there were 10-14 games on the schedule every year that if Badgers just tied their skates correctly and showed up on time, they were going to win. It came down to going over .500 against the other 4-6 good teams on the schedule. Going over .500 vs. this schedule is the same thing, except instead of a dozen toss ups, there are 26-28. It's not a matter of excuses, it's a matter of reality. 21 RS wins could potentially make them a one seed.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            I think it's going to take a really good team to go over .500 with this schedule. So let's say about 17-18 RS wins. If the system works the way it's supposed to, (and provided the B1G teams win NC games as they're supposed to) that should probably be enough to be in the top 16 (or better) going into the post season conference tourney.

In the old WCHA there were 10-14 games on the schedule every year that if Badgers just tied their skates correctly and showed up on time, they were going to win. It came down to going over .500 against the other 4-6 good teams on the schedule. Going over .500 vs. this schedule is the same thing, except instead of a dozen toss ups, there are 26-28. It's not a matter of excuses, it's a matter of reality. 21 RS wins could potentially make them a one seed.
            Here is what I am projecting out of the team this year:
            BC - split (1-1-0, 0-0-0)
            @Clarkson/@St Lawrence - Sweep (3-1-0, 0-0-0)
            MTU - split (4-2-0, 0-0-0)
            @ NoDak - split (5-3-0, 0-0-0)
            Minnesota - split (6-4-0, 1-1-0)
            @ OSU - split (7-5-0, 2-2-0)
            @ Michigan - split (8-6-0, 3-3-0)
            PSU - split (9-7-0, 4-4-0)
            Michigan State - sweep (11-7-0, 6-4-0)
            Denver - sweep (13-7-0, 6-4-0)
            Notre Dame - sweep (15-7-0, 8-4-0)
            @ Minnesota - split (16-8-0, 9-5-0)
            @ Michigan State - sweep (18-8-0, 11-5-0)
            OSU - split (19-9-0, 12-6-0)
            @ Notre Dame - swept (19-11-0, 12-6-0)
            @ PSU - split (20-12-0, 13-7-0)
            Michigan - split (21-13-0, 14-8-0)

I think the team has enough talent to not get swept very often, but enough weak spots that we don't sweep often.
            I think we get hot at home through the middle part of the season and put together a little run, but cool off towards the end.
            I think we take all 4 from Sparty, exchange sweeps with the Golden Domers, and have splits the rest of the conference weekends.

Looking at this, I don't think 21 wins gets us a #1 seed, but I think we could be in the field of 16.

Comment

That would probably be an all time record of splits.

Comment

60 minutes, no alibis, no regrets...…

They are picked to finish 6th out of 7th, that's not ncaa material, just being realistic.

They need to be rock solid in their own D zone first and foremost, have a great PK and an average PP, just like in the old Eaves days and they will finish higher than 6th and be in the hunt.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

Looking at this, I don't think 21 wins gets us a #1 seed, but I think we could be in the field of 16.
                  I don't know, you have 14 B1G wins and I believe 14 wins was 2nd in the conference last year. #2 in the B1G is #3 in the poll at the moment. 6-3 vs.top 18 teams, BC, UND. Tech, DU, Clarkson, and which could potentially be vs. 2, 3, or 4 conference champions. We'd have 22 games against the current top 13, and no clear PWR loss. If the B1G teams do as well in NC play as they're expected to, I'd say your scenario with 21 wins would be very, very likely to result in a 1 seed as it stands now.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    60 minutes, no alibis, no regrets...…

They are picked to finish 6th out of 7th, that's not ncaa material, just being realistic.

They need to be rock solid in their own D zone first and foremost, have a great PK and an average PP, just like in the old Eaves days and they will finish higher than 6th and be in the hunt.
                    Aha, thanks. 6th or 7th place doesn’t cut it at Wisconsin. 23 years of general mediocrity has become the obvious norm and that’s just unacceptable imo.
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Last year in the B1G, PSU was 4th with an under .500 record, the goofs were 5th and missed the tourney by a fraction of a fraction. But the B1G had the best ooc record of any conference in 30+ years, so I don't know if we can expect that to be the case this year or not. Expectations around the country are certainly high.

I think all the things Tim said, they have to be really hard to play against, do all the basics right, plus we have to get a lot more drive from the back end for points. We can't afford injuries, especially to Seamus, who played much of last year without working shoulders. (That kid is one tough hombre.) And all the youngsters are going to have to really be on a steep learning curve. Mersch, Messner, and Achan have got to play like they've been here before. We have to get some production out of Gorniak this year, not next. Guys like Freytag, Zimmer, Dhooghe, and Johnson have to find a way to make more significant contributions. If all that happens, (which is a lot) it could be a really good, albeit very tough, year. It's a narrow path to walk though, with 6th or 7th place and a terrible NC record very easy to trip and fall into.

Of all the things that need to happen, one simple one that occurs to me is that we need to win faceoffs. We weren't great last year, and I'm not sure who could be the guys that are winning them this year? Lot's of questions to be answered yet.

Also on another note, I saw that former Badger Adam Rockwood was voted (co) WCHA preseason Player of the Year. Congrats Rocky!
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Aha, thanks. 6th or 7th place doesn’t cut it at Wisconsin. 23 years of general mediocrity has become the obvious norm and that’s just unacceptable imo.
                        Yep and I think MOST here agree.....
                        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

I have them on dvd. I’m hoping to find more like the 92 FF on dvd and 1990 FF as well.
                          I've got both 1992 FF games recorded on VHS, if you have a way to transfer them.

Comment

Originally posted by diddlypoo View Post
                            I've got both 1992 FF games recorded on VHS, if you have a way to transfer them.
                            Trying to remember if I have a VCR anymore.... I would have to look around.

Edit: Actually it would be easier for someone up there to work this out. haha.
                            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              Also on another note, I saw that former Badger Adam Rockwood was voted (co) WCHA preseason Player of the Year. Congrats Rocky!
                              Looks like a clear whiff by G2O on that deal.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Looks like a clear whiff by G2O on that deal.
                                Agreed. He definitely was a fine feeder when he was here. Also could be a new start was just what he needed.....

Comment

Working...
                                X