Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    In some ways, that happens in football.

The playoff series is independently run. The NCAA doesn't get any of that money other than a "licensing" fee which is but a tiny percentage of the total amount the playoff series makes. If the NCAA owned that, like they do March Madness, they wouldn't know what to do with all the money...
    Yes, but if the big football schools pulled out (some of whom have big bball programs), what would happen to the revenue streams? I'm frankly surprised that bball hasn't seriously considered leaving. It isn't like they really follow NCAA rules anyway....
    Go 'Wick!

Comment

Re: NCAA Revenue...

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
      Yes, but if the big football schools pulled out (some of whom have big bball programs), what would happen to the revenue streams? I'm frankly surprised that bball hasn't seriously considered leaving. It isn't like they really follow NCAA rules anyway....
      Part of the reason that the NCAA bends over backwards to the Division I teams is the threat that was made in the 1980s by the CFA to pull football Division I football out of the NCAA. At that time the NCAA had complete control over TV revenues and teams were limited in what they could do with their TV rights. The CFA sued and the NCAA caved. As part of all this, the NCAA's attention to the other divisions was reduced. Rightly or wrongly, the DII and DIII schools have decided not to rock the boat, feeling that it is better to get the pittance that DI is willing to give up than go on their own.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
        The NCAA is ultimately run by the Presidents of the colleges. If they are happy, the NCAA is safe. If they, or enough D1 "theys," are unhappy, then the NCAA is in trouble.

But someone has to run the sport(s). And the college presidents will always be the ultimate bosses of it. It's a matter of what organization they want to run it.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          Part of the reason that the NCAA bends over backwards to the Division I teams is the threat that was made in the 1980s by the CFA to pull football Division I football out of the NCAA. At that time the NCAA had complete control over TV revenues and teams were limited in what they could do with their TV rights. The CFA sued and the NCAA caved. As part of all this, the NCAA's attention to the other divisions was reduced. Rightly or wrongly, the DII and DIII schools have decided not to rock the boat, feeling that it is better to get the pittance that DI is willing to give up than go on their own.
          You're darn right it's better to get the "pittance." The reason for the large growth in D2 and D3 in the last 25 years is the defections from NAIA, where schools had to - and as I understand still - pay for all of their post-season travel. The post-season rewards from the NCAA were/are infinitely better than the alternative. I've heard all kinds of interesting stories about St. Norbert scraping up enough money to send the basketball team to Kansas City for the NAIA Tournament back in the 1960s. I think they went by train at least once.

Comment

Originally posted by SNC SID View Post
            You're darn right it's better to get the "pittance." The reason for the large growth in D2 and D3 in the last 25 years is the defections from NAIA, where schools had to - and as I understand still - pay for all of their post-season travel. The post-season rewards from the NCAA were/are infinitely better than the alternative. I've heard all kinds of interesting stories about St. Norbert scraping up enough money to send the basketball team to Kansas City for the NAIA Tournament back in the 1960s. I think they went by train at least once.
            If only American trains didn't take as long to get places as driving, train is the best way to travel.
            Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Working...
            X