Lake Placid Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Down 95 then across MA on 90 then north on 87 and thence to Lake Placid.
    Midd would have been a better stopping point, or even Skidmore.
    Go 'Wick!

Comment

Re: Lake Placid Attendance

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
      Midd would have been a better stopping point, or even Skidmore.
      They have played at Midd before, but is there still ice at either of those two rinks?
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Down 95 then across MA on 90 then north on 87 and thence to Lake Placid.
        Quicker to take 95 South to Portsmouth, then 101 West to I91, to I89 to exit 17, ferry to Plattsburgh, then to Placid.
        Last edited by Birdwatcher; 03-21-2018, 08:06 PM.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
          Quicker to take 95 South to Portsmouth, then 101 West to I91, to I89 to exit 17, ferry to Plattsburgh, then to Placid.
          Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Whit...4!2d43.6825395
          Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            The thing about neutral sites is that they can still usually hold more people than campus sites, even when the campus sites sell out. Granted, neutral sites can still appear to be "empty" even with numbers that exceed campus sites because of the size of the building. And thus, atmosphere can suffer. I get that. But, to just flippantly say neutral sites are a failure based purely on attendance is wrong. The numbers are pretty good at times. It's the intangibles that need to be compared.

Here are the attendance numbers as reported at Lake Placid, followed by the other neutral sites. The semifinal games are listed in parenthesis in the order they were played, in case it matters for those years separate semifinal attendance figures were given (I don't know how they do that since they don't empty the arena out between games). ADDED: Championship final teams are bolded.

2008 (St. Norbert vs. Norwich, Elmira vs. Plattsburgh)
            Semis: 5600
            Final: 4770

2009 (Gustavus vs. Stout, Neumann vs. Hobart)
            Semis: 3036
            Final: 3141

2010 (Oswego vs. St. Norbert, Norwich vs. Plattsburgh)
            No attendance listed.

2012 (St. Norbert vs. Norwich, Oswego vs. Amherst)
            Semis: 2100/3100
            Final: 3300

2013 (Oswego vs. Norwich, Eau Claire vs. Utica)
            Semis: 1538/1389
            Final: 2089

2016 (Geneseo vs. Stevens Point, St. Norbert vs. UMass-Boston)
            Semis: 653/2282
            Final: 2304

ELMIRA 2006 (Hobart vs. St. Norbert, Elmira vs. Middlebury)
            Semis: 1373/2554
            Final: 1474

SUPERIOR 2007 (Oswego vs. St. Norbert, Middlebury vs. Manhattanville)
            Semis: 1293/1042
            Final: 1052

RIDDER 2011 (Adrian vs Oswego, Norwich vs. St. Norbert)
            Semis: 1761
            Final: 1741

MAINE 2014 (Geneseo vs. St. Norbert, Stevens Point vs. Oswego)
            Semis: 1827
            Final: 1851

RIDDER 2015 (Trinity vs. Adrian, Stevens Point vs. Amherst)
            Semis: 1181/1284
            Final: 1303

UTICA 2017 (Trinity vs. St. Norbert, Adrian vs. Norwich)
            Semis: 1525
            Final: 1595
            Having attended a lot of D-1 Regionals over the years, the official attendance numbers have often appeared to be a trifle/extremely inflated.

But, whatever... I thought that Utica would have been an easier option for the entire field last year, and yet the attendance was lousy there, too.

Placid is a "destination", and even schools with tiny fan-bases seem to fare better there. I don't see any reason to change that up at this juncture.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-21-2018, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              Having attended a lot of D-1 Regionals over the years, the official attendance numbers have often appeared to be a trifle/extremely inflated.

But, whatever... I thought that Utica would have been an easier option for the entire field last year, and yet the attendance was lousy there, too.

Placid is a "destination", and even schools with tiny fan-bases seem to fare better there. I don't see any reason to change that up at this juncture.
              I am sure most players would rather play the final 4 in Lake Placid than most any other rink except an NHL rink.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by OhioMule View Post
                Mule (and don't take this as hostile, because I have two cousins who went to Colby and that's my team in this FF), but just try that route some time.

It's slower than Grim Death on a good day, never mind if the weather is even a little iffy, or if you get behind an RV, or if one of the many towns is having a parade, or a funeral, or a fund-raiser, etc.

From Maine to Placid, just do the Maine Turnpike, then 495, then 90, and stay on 90 via Exit B-2, then hop onto 87-N.

But, for the love of God, DO NOT attempt 87-N between 4 and 6 on a weekday... That'll make Boston's 128 look like the Daytona Speedway by comparision.
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-21-2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Mule (and don't take this as hostile, because I have two cousins who went to Colby and that's my team in this FF), but just try that route some time.

It's slower than Grim Death on a good day, never mind if the weather is even a little iffy, or if you get behind an RV, or if one of the many towns is having a parade, or a funeral, or a fund-raiser, etc.

From Maine to Placid, just do the Maine Turnpike, then 495, then 90, and stay on 90 via Exit B-2, then hop onto 87-N.

But, for the love of God, DO NOT attempt 87-N between 4 and 6 on a weekday... That'll make Boston's 128 look like the Daytona Speedway by comparision.
                  About an extra 100 miles !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

They count tickets sold, not necessarily if the buyer shows up, which is why D1 so often doesn't look full despite the announced "attendance."

Whatever numbers the venue releases, the NCAA expects that amount paid to them in ticket sales. So, the venue has no incentive whatsoever inflating numbers.

And that first year at Placid? There were indeed that many people. They even opened up the upper deck, which they never do.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

No offense taken. I have never been on those roads. Not sure what route the bus driver chose, but they go to Middlebury every year, so I'm sure he has a good idea. In any event, they have already arrived, so it's a moot question now.
                      Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

So for reasons beyond just eastern bias, I decided I am rooting for a Colby/Salve Regina final. Why? Because I've never seen either team play before. I have seen both Point and St. Norbert before so I'd like to see some new teams! That said, I'm just looking forward to seeing the Championship game on Saturday. My son just wants to see what a championship game looks like. He's dying to see someone skate around the ice with a trophy!
                        Steve
                        Penn State Class of '95
                        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

We always stay at Art Devlin’s. When I checked in, they asked me what I was there for. When I told them, they said we are the only ones for the hockey to be staying there. "The schools this year are just too far away."

A shame that the attendance will probably very low this year.

Lake Placid still rocks, though.
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Looks like there's about 200 people in attendance there.

Comment

We always stay at Art Devlin’s. When I checked in, they asked me what I was there for. When I told them, they said we are the only ones for the hockey to be staying there. "The schools this year are just too far away."

Lake Placid still rocks, though.
                              That is where we stay when we go. Good spot close to downtown for walking, but not in it.
                              Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                                That is where we stay when we go. Good spot close to downtown for walking, but not in it.
                                I’m pretty sure we saw each other one year.
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X