Lake Placid Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    On the way home from the game Saturday, my daughters and I hatched a plan for how to get to Lake Placid, instead of what we have planned for the weekend.

Since we are going to be on the road Thursday anyway, Daughter #2 said, "Let's just go. Mom will fall asleep in the car. When she wakes up and we're in Ohio, it will be too late to turn around."

Unfortunately, my wife vetoed the plan, noting, "I'd have to pee long before we made it to Ohio."

So, I will not be joining in the fun in person.
    Motor home.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: Lake Placid Attendance

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
      Unfortunately, my wife vetoed the plan, noting, "I'd have to pee long before we made it to Ohio."(
      Funny! My wife was the one pushing for a trip to Lake Placid on our drive home Saturday, but I had to be the one to veto it.
      5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
      2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

We'll be there, Section 7 as usual. I don't need much of an excuse to get to Lake Placed, and three good hockey games does it. So what time do the Lakers play on Friday?

Wait... what???
        Oswego State 1980 Grad
        (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
          Funny! My wife was the one pushing for a trip to Lake Placid on our drive home Saturday, but I had to be the one to veto it.
          I'm guessing that the attendance will be fairly abysmal. Colby and Salve don't even draw at home, Point is an outpost (been there, BTW), and Placid is a major haul from Green Bay (been there too).

It's a fun town, but "you can't get there from here" in almost any D-3 context.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            I'm guessing that the attendance will be fairly abysmal. Colby and Salve don't even draw at home, Point is an outpost (been there, BTW), and Placid is a major haul from Green Bay (been there too).

It's a fun town, but "you can't get there from here" in almost any D-3 context.
            I'm actually expecting SNC to bring the most fans. Granted, that's not saying much, but...
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              I'm actually expecting SNC to bring the most fans. Granted, that's not saying much, but...
              I remember watching the broadcast two years ago, the announcer joked that there were 2000 fans dressed up as empty red seats.
              5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
              2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Point travels pretty well, also...
                SNC Men:
                Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                SNC Women:
                O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

The thing about neutral sites is that they can still usually hold more people than campus sites, even when the campus sites sell out. Granted, neutral sites can still appear to be "empty" even with numbers that exceed campus sites because of the size of the building. And thus, atmosphere can suffer. I get that. But, to just flippantly say neutral sites are a failure based purely on attendance is wrong. The numbers are pretty good at times. It's the intangibles that need to be compared.

Here are the attendance numbers as reported at Lake Placid, followed by the other neutral sites. The semifinal games are listed in parenthesis in the order they were played, in case it matters for those years separate semifinal attendance figures were given (I don't know how they do that since they don't empty the arena out between games). ADDED: Championship final teams are bolded.

2008 (St. Norbert vs. Norwich, Elmira vs. Plattsburgh)
                  Semis: 5600
                  Final: 4770

2009 (Gustavus vs. Stout, Neumann vs. Hobart)
                  Semis: 3036
                  Final: 3141

2010 (Oswego vs. St. Norbert, Norwich vs. Plattsburgh)
                  No attendance listed.

2012 (St. Norbert vs. Norwich, Oswego vs. Amherst)
                  Semis: 2100/3100
                  Final: 3300

2013 (Oswego vs. Norwich, Eau Claire vs. Utica)
                  Semis: 1538/1389
                  Final: 2089

2016 (Geneseo vs. Stevens Point, St. Norbert vs. UMass-Boston)
                  Semis: 653/2282
                  Final: 2304

ELMIRA 2006 (Hobart vs. St. Norbert, Elmira vs. Middlebury)
                  Semis: 1373/2554
                  Final: 1474

SUPERIOR 2007 (Oswego vs. St. Norbert, Middlebury vs. Manhattanville)
                  Semis: 1293/1042
                  Final: 1052

RIDDER 2011 (Adrian vs Oswego, Norwich vs. St. Norbert)
                  Semis: 1761
                  Final: 1741

MAINE 2014 (Geneseo vs. St. Norbert, Stevens Point vs. Oswego)
                  Semis: 1827
                  Final: 1851

RIDDER 2015 (Trinity vs. Adrian, Stevens Point vs. Amherst)
                  Semis: 1181/1284
                  Final: 1303

UTICA 2017 (Trinity vs. St. Norbert, Adrian vs. Norwich)
                  Semis: 1525
                  Final: 1595
                  Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 03-21-2018, 01:15 PM.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    Colby and Salve don't even draw at home...
                    Colby does alright, considering that most of their 1800 students are off campus for a good chunk of hockey season due to semester break and a January program of independent study. The on-campus arena holds 1700 and is sold out every year for the rivalry game with Bowdoin, complete with the annual squid toss and occasional grilled cheese sandwiches (Colby - get it..?). As I am writing this, I finally understand why they schedule that game so early in the season (first weekend in December).
                    Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

When are the NE teams traveling? I suspect it might be an issue today...
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

When are the NE teams traveling? I suspect it might be an issue today...
                        I saw a video of the Colby team bus, with fans cheering them off...so I assume they are on the way.. SNC flew into Plattsburgh..
                        SNC Men:
                        NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                        SNC Women:

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                          I saw a video of the Colby team bus, with fans cheering them off...so I assume they are on the way.. SNC flew into Plattsburgh..
                          So they got a charter? There aren't any full service airlines that would connect to Plattsburgh - Allegient, Spirit, and Air Puddle Jump from Boston. I would think they would fly commercial to Burlington.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

They stopped at S. Maine to practice on their big ice sheet on way to LP..
                            SNC Men:
                            SNC Women:

Comment

They stopped at S. Maine to practice on their big ice sheet on way to LP..
                              If that’s true, southern Maine is NO WHERE near Plattsburgh.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                                If that’s true, southern Maine is NO WHERE near Plattsburgh.
                                Down 95 then across MA on 90 then north on 87 and thence to Lake Placid.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X