Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is in your Deadpool for Solo: Infinity War

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    So Comcast just launched a bid to stop the Disney fox deal.
    They have been making moves for months to try and make it fall through but I don't think it is going to work...

Re: Who is in your Deadpool for Solo: Infinity War

Masaan:

Four lives intersect along the Ganges: a low caste boy hopelessly in love, a daughter ridden with guilt of a sexual encounter ending in a tragedy, a hapless father with fading morality, and a spirited child yearning for a family, long to escape the moral constructs of a small-town.

Indian movie (no sh*), so subtitles. It was slow and a little meandering, but a good watch, explaining how the old culture sometimes clashes with the new progressive generation. A little softened, if anything, on the ways the culture impacts women, but still gets the message across.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    They have been making moves for months to try and make it fall through but I don't think it is going to work...
    The Comcast bid is $60,000,000,000.00

Cash.

The Disney bid was $52 billion in cash and stock.

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post

Cash.

Given what I expect the Disney stock to do, I still think the Disney offer would be better.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Cash.

Man I didnt hear that. I just knew they were trying to buy up various stations that were part of the deal in hopes it crashed. (not sure they ever went through with it though) $60 billion cash is nutso and I am not sure Fox could say no even if they wanted to

So if AT&T/Time Warner goes through and either Fox deal goes through (and the expected CBS/Viacom merger) that is a seismic shift in Hollywood all at once. I wonder what the loser of the Fox deal does next.
    Last edited by Handyman; 05-08-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Given what I expect the Disney stock to do, I still think the Disney offer would be better.
    Maybe, but Comcast offered $65 billion in stock last year trying to buy Fox and it was turned down. Murdoch prefers stock to cash...but the rest of the shareholders might not care.

What is blowing up the Disney deal is what is happening with Sky. Comcast making a play to buy them ($30 billion cash) which is a huge part of what Disney wants out of the deal.

BTW the $60 billion is just an estimate based on bridge loans...they could go higher.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Given a choice between a chunk of Comcast stock and Disney stock, give me Disney.

However, if Comcast wants to give me $60B in cash I'll just buy $8B in stock and be ahead.

Coming to a theater near you, Bill & Ted 3.
    A bad cause requires many words.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    I find this extremely comforting.
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Given a choice between a chunk of Comcast stock and Disney stock, give me Disney.

However, if Comcast wants to give me $60B in cash I'll just buy $8B in stock and be ahead.
    Exactly. The Disney stock is just being used as a tax free way to get money to the shareholders. (that is why Murdoch wants that over cash) I believe Disney gives them the stock then buys it back from them at the agreed upon price so they dont have to pay the taxes they would with a cash sale.

Plus, if the deal falls through Disney stock will take a minor hit so in theory Fox shareholders could get it at a better price anyways and then just sit on it and make a windfall.

This is going to be interesting...I wonder what Comcast will do if they dont get Fox. Not many other studios/networks to go after.
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    It is kind of old news, but it is good news. And the story sounds quite good and both Alex and Keanu are fully into the story.
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Chasing The Dragon:
    An illegal immigrant from Mainland China sneaks into corrupt British-colonized Hong Kong in 1963, transforming himself into a ruthless and emerging drug lord.

Donnie Yen stars (Ip Man movies, Rogue One, and Hero are the movies I've seen him in). Very good action/drama. Subtitled, of course. Good "brotherhood" storylines, crossing lawful and unlawful, customs, honor, all that jazz that comes with Asian culture. Worth a couple hours of your time.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    ...(and the expected CBS/Viacom merger)...
    Wait, they're not? I thought they already were one family?

Or do they each own just enough stock of each other's company to stay separate still?

Finally saw Avengers. I liked it but was not blown away. Top two are still civil war and black Panther for me.

...Avengers had a scene reminiscent of the Phantom Menace with a zillion cgi monsters fighting the heroes in a dome. Itís beating a dead horse I know but the reason it works here is we care about these characters due to the strength of their stories.

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Wait, they're not? I thought they already were one family?

Or do they each own just enough stock of each other's company to stay separate still?
    The more I read the weirder it is. I mean they are sister companies but every time there is an attempt to merge them CBS blocks it. Moonves can only do that for so long though.
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

MoviePass filed with the SEC that they will have to alter their business plan. It has two months of funding left. So either MP
    Raises prices significantly
    Dramatically reduces the number of movies a customer can watch each month
    Gets an infusion of cash from some insane venture capitalist
    All of the above

The HNMY stock has fallen 40% today and is now trading under $1 after being almost $40/share last summer.

Mudbound:

During the WWII era, a white family buys land that is rented and kept up by a black family. Issues come up.

VERY well done. It was raw, real, little sensationalism. Slow-paced, and it needed to be.It was at least half-narrated, by all the main characters, so it was sort of a diary aspect. Highly recommend.

Anon:

Future society where technology makes privacy COMPLETELY obsolete, a detective has to track down an assassin with no record or ID whatsoever.

Well done movie, total mindf* at times, since you can make up whatever you want as far as technology goes. Really bends on what can be real and what can be real. Definitely recommend.

Lady Bird:

Coming of age movie. HS Senior who lives in Sacremento wants to go to college on the east coast. Very solid movie for this subject matter. It's awkward, touching, raw, real, all of it. Saoirse Ronan (who plays the senior) and Laurie Metcalf (the mom; still probably known for the tv show Roseanne) are excellent in their roles.

Darc:

Interpol recruits a hardened criminal to go undercover in the Yakuza (Japanese mafia) to rescue a cop's daughter. Basically a one-man-army movie, shades of Taken, and of course, suspend your belief for a bit. Great action, although wooden acting at times (I blame the writing itself, as other times the acting is quite good). Decent Saturday (or Sunday ) afternoon time-killer. I do commend the movie on showing some of the true traditions/practices of the Yakuza (very key part towards the end of the movie: the "processing" of the body towards the end of the movie, for various reasons.

Reasonable Doubt:

Up-and-coming District Attorney, Mitch Brockton is involved in a fatal hit-and-run, but Clinton Davis, is found with the body and charged with murder. Believing that Davis is innocent, Brockton is compelled to throw the trial. Soon after, Brocton's perfect life begins to unravel as he realizes that the man he set free is hiding a secret that will destroy him.

What could have been....they should have stuck with the simple morality struggle of the first part of the above description, but nope, they continued the downward spiral of twists and turns and cat and mouse, and it ends horrible. Not only suspend belief for a lot of it, but toss out all legalities involved, and it's not even close. Oh, confessions? Never mind those, it was for a greater cause. Solid evidence? Forget about that, too, we'll just leave that alone. Blech.

Thread Information