X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who is in your Deadpool for Solo: Infinity War

Deadpool 2:

Rip-roaring redonkulous fun. One extreme nit-pick: expand Nukio's (?) character. Why the insta-bond with DP? (related, sad that Nuclear Teenage Supersonic Whoever had a reduced role). Loved all the 80s references, mad that they keep putting in my jukebox-killing songs.*

*Jukebox killing: put in some song that does NOT fit in with the feel of the crowd/bar/etc. They've used Shoop, Angel In The Morning, and now 9 To 5. STAHHHHP.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I saw The Predator...ya know this could have been a really solid film if anyone but Shane Black had directed. That guy is a garbage director. I mean I expect a ton of stupid cliches but at least try and pretend you put some effort into the film. This isnt even paint by numbers this is literally mad libs.

This was never going to be great but with competent directing it probably could have been a solid 7. As it is it is a 5 and almost all of the decent performances are wasted by the hamfisted story, awful directing, sometimes laughable effects and stars mailing it in. (or miscast)
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Crazy Rich Asians was a decent Rom-Com. Nothing groundbreaking, just well made and well cast.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

OK, I'm a couple superhero flicks behind. Any way to see "Ant Man and the Wasp" yet?
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            OK, I'm a couple superhero flicks behind. Any way to see "Ant Man and the Wasp" yet?
            It hits DVS & Blu-ray on October 16. Sometimes pay-to-stream options appear a week before the disc release.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The Company Men:

The story centers on a year in the life of three men trying to survive a round of corporate downsizing at a major company - and how that affects them, their families, and their communities.

I liked it, but also had some strong "F YOU" feelings towards it. I find it hard to find sympathy with a laid-off person having to take a lesser job to provide for their family. Gotta do what ya gotta do. Made blue collar work seem like an undesirable occupation. It was well-acted, and did shun the "ZOMG, I'm only worth five and a half-a-million" populace, but still.....
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Biopic on Mr Rogers, duh. Very well done. Amazing to look back at the old footage and see the effect he had on the kids. Between that and the massive depth of his sincerity...you don't really realize it until you're an adult yourself. I'll be the first to admit, I under-appreciated what he truly did. Highly recommend the movie.

Comment

I watched the new documentary on Jane Fonda that HBO put out. I think it's worth a watch.

It's a little bit strange in that there are almost no "talking heads" in the movie. Her son makes a couple of brief appearances, as does Robert Redford, Tom Hayden and an industry person or two. But only very briefly.

Instead, the entire movie feels a little bit like you stumbled into Jane meeting with a priest and giving a last confession. It's pretty raw. There are also some scenes that seem real personal, like when she goes out to Montana to visit "my favorite ex-husband" Ted Turner, who has turned into this mellow, ancient man sitting alone high in the Rockies, or when Jane goes (for the first time, I think?) to visit her mother's grave, a woman who committed suicide in 1950.

It's an interesting look at a woman who has lived an interesting life.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Recovery Boys:

In the heart of America's opioid epidemic, four men attempt to reinvent their lives and reenter society sober after years of drug abuse.

Starts off as an "all the feels" good story, but then predictably goes "Behind The Music" on it. Still very good, and doesn't sugarcoat things. Kept many raw footage in the movie. Worth a watch.

Comment

Paterno:

Well done movie, really toed the line on romanticizing him and vilifying him. Changed from moment to moment, which mirrored real life for a lot of people, myself included. FTR, he was a role model growing up, and then it was all shattered (justifiably) in the Sandusky case. Many of us saw a hero exposed for what he was.

It REALLY vilified the Pedo State Cultiversity crowd, and rightfully so. How they can still consider him someone to look up to....ugh. Either way, good movie, def should watch it. The Paterno family moments on what's going on, how to handle it, etc....doesn't really soften the situation at all. The background stuff that isn't reported on, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        It REALLY vilified the Pedo State Cultiversity crowd, and rightfully so. How they can still consider him someone to look up to....ugh. Either way, good movie, def should watch it. The Paterno family moments on what's going on, how to handle it, etc....doesn't really soften the situation at all. The background stuff that isn't reported on, etc.
                        I find this incomprehensibly. I grew up in PA and was never into any college football scene, but the religious devotion to Joe P. is just bizarre. My sister went to Penn State for her last 2 years of school and even though she couldn't tell you one thing about football, she still thinks the sun shines out of Joe Pa's ***.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                          I find this incomprehensibly. I grew up in PA and was never into any college football scene, but the religious devotion to Joe P. is just bizarre. My sister went to Penn State for her last 2 years of school and even though she couldn't tell you one thing about football, she still thinks the sun shines out of Joe Pa's ***.
                          It's a cult. Like any other cult, followers tend to get Stockholm syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                            the sun shines out of Joe Pa's ***.
                            That’s a neat trick.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

How it Ends

Don’t bother. There is literally no ending. Either stupidly ironic or irconically stupid, what a waste of time. I love mysterious ending movies like In Bruges but this was just dumb.

Also, I despise Netflix’s rating system. So much better when you could skip the ****. .

Edit: this is a perfect write up:
                              https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/07/24/do-not-let-netflixs-how-it-ends-steal-two-hours-of-your-life/#2f53bfca3257

Summed up perfectly in the final paragraph
                              “This is a mediocre post-apocalyptic movie that turns into a downright horrible one by refusing to provide any semblance of meaningful answers about its central mystery. You will reach the end and feel like you utterly wasted two hours of your life, so don’t bother. Netflix obviously won’t warn you about this, so take it from me instead.”
                              Last edited by dxmnkd316; 09-30-2018, 12:33 AM.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I also despise Netflix's rating system (streaming, anyway). Go back to the 5 star system, like they have for the disc subscription.

Comment

Working...
                                X