X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2018-19 Schedules Thread

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Yeah, that.

Regarding HEA: When the announcement was made during the prior offseason that HEA would be going to a 24-game schedule and rotating teams based on past performance from the previous two years, I strove to find out who would play who. Based on some of the teams releasing their schedules, I was able to figure out that the 3rd game opponents would be vs. a team that was right next to them in ranking ("Close"; it won't be entirely reciprocal because there's an odd number of teams), as well as, from the teams remaining, one who was in the upper band (1-3), middle band (4-6), and lower band (7-9). It worked out that one from each of the four categories is who they play. It's not as relevant this year as it was last year because the opponents remain the same this year with the locations flipped (obviously the current year's schedule sheet starts as a copy of the previous year's sheet), but next year, the exercise will happen again, as a new set of four opponents will be selected for each team.
    Got it. Having a prime number of teams causes lots of inequities.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by nodak651 View Post
      Do you know if UND is heading to Mankato the following year?
      That’s the plan as of now, yes.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        RIT's annual Brick City game in the Blue Cross Arena is against Colgate.
        RIT will also travel to Northeastern for one game, host Arizona State for two, and visit UMass Lowell for two.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Got it. Having a prime number of teams causes lots of inequities.
          Primality isn’t the issue. It’s that 20 games are seen as too few and 30 too many.

Odd numbered teams is often more convenient as it means in a single round robins with home site play you can get an even road/Home balance

Edit: I can see an issue with not being able to have sub-pods but that only means balance within that pod. When you get large and prime like 11 you can’t subdivide the league for scheduling.

If we had a 15 team hockey league it’d be easy to say play all once then play the division members and additional time for 22 games. Primes take away those issues but 14 teams would also be awkward though you’d probably just see a 26 game schedule.
          Last edited by Patman; 03-22-2018, 10:24 AM.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
            Primality isn’t the issue. It’s that 20 games are seen as too few and 30 too many.

Odd numbered teams is often more convenient as it means in a single round robins with home site play you can get an even road/Home balance

Edit: I can see an issue with not being able to have sub-pods but that only means balance within that pod. When you get large and prime like 11 you can’t subdivide the league for scheduling.

If we had a 15 team hockey league it’d be easy to say play all once then play the division members and additional time for 22 games. Primes take away those issues but 14 teams would also be awkward though you’d probably just see a 26 game schedule.
            I don't follow your 15-team example. Playing every team once is 14 games. How are divisions set up to get 8 more games?
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post

I thought Ralph was just making a funny with the "prime". 24 games does certainly make it easier compared to a couple years ago, considering there are members that require two-game-series weekends in one location instead of one-night stands or home/home series (given HEA doesn't use travel partners).

The way that was chosen works surprisingly well, given 11 - self - "close" opponent = 9, which can be broken into those three "pods".

Comment

I don't follow your 15-team example. Playing every team once is 14 games. How are divisions set up to get 8 more games?
                Split them into 3 divisions of 5, and you get another game with each in your division, and then either two in each of the others, or four in one. Slightly similar to how the NFL handled out-of-conference games when there were 6 divisions, or presently handles in-conference non-division play.
                Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 03-22-2018, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  I thought Ralph was just making a funny with the "prime". 24 games does certainly make it easier compared to a couple years ago, considering there are members that require two-game-series weekends in one location instead of one-night stands or home/home series (given HEA doesn't use travel partners).

The way that was chosen works surprisingly well, given 11 - self - "close" opponent = 9, which can be broken into those three "pods".
                  I goofed on the 15 member.

16 is what I was talking about for 15+7

15 you play each twice for 28 or break into three divisions... 14 + 8 or 12
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                    RIT will also travel to Northeastern for one game, host Arizona State for two, and visit UMass Lowell for two.
                    Finally, they come to New England! 😁
                    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      RIT's annual Brick City game in the Blue Cross Arena is against Colgate.
                      Given the homecoming weekend is 19-21 October, I assume that game will be on the 20th.

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                        Finally, they come to New England! 😁
                        The Hudson River is an obstacle few willingly cross.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          The Hudson River is an obstacle few willingly cross.
                          What does CCT do during the weekend that they play RPI and Union?
                          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-03-2018, 06:31 AM. Reason: grammar
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

What does CCT during weekend that they play RPI and Union?
                            Drive up to Tupper via NY 30, heads towards Westport, and shoot south.

Comment

From the BU thread:

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                              There are 10 OOC games
                              2 Beanpot
                              2 at MSUM
                              2 vs ASU
                              1 vs QU
                              1 in Belfast (UConn game counts as in conference)
                              1 vs/at Dartmouth (I don't recall hearing one of us owed the other a game, is this definitely a game, if so where?)

Would be 9 games, leaving us missing 1 (missing 2 if there isn't actually a Dartmouth game)

Comment

From Cornell Hockey today...
                                While the 2018-19 complete season schedule has yet to be released, we can announce that Cornell will be hosting MICHIGAN STATE to start the regular season at Lynah Rink in a two-game weekend match-up!

Comment

Working...
                                X