This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

FYI, “the bee” had a name. It's name was Swarm.
    Sorry that it scared the kids, but it was my favorite RPI mascot.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
      I seem to recall that the Swarm first appeared in the Polytechnic and was the creation of a Poly illustrator, was it Bill or Steve Rowland?

Comment

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
        To the best of my knowledge, neither Puckman, the bee, Otis the white horse, nor any other mascot has ever dropped in on an RPI home basketball game.

The only thing that ever dropped in was melting snow, through the leaking roof of '87 Gym once upon a time.
        Think harder
        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
          Think harder
          Well, OK. I can remember my father telling me this story.

My father attended RPI for a couple of years in the 1930's as a pre-dental student. Of course, that was before Ned Harkness brought hockey to prominence at RPI, so the major winter sport was basketball.

I'm not sure what kind of a scoreboard they had at the '87 Gym back then, but apparently it did not have an electronic clock with an automatic buzzer. The time was kept at the scorer's table, and the timer would shoot off a gun when time expired at the end of the half.

My father said one time somebody smuggled a rubber chicken to a game and took it up to the running track above the court.

When the gun went off at the end of the first half, the guy with the rubber chicken heaved it over the railing, and it came sailing down from the running track and landed smack in the middle of the court as the crowd dissolved in hysterics.

So I guess I'd have to admit that the melting snow wasn't the only thing that ever dropped in.

I have a feeling this wasn't what Jericho had in mind, but at least I thought harder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
            Well, OK. I can remember my father telling me this story.

My father attended RPI for a couple of years in the 1930's as a pre-dental student. Of course, that was before Ned Harkness brought hockey to prominence at RPI, so the major winter sport was basketball.

I'm not sure what kind of a scoreboard they had at the '87 Gym back then, but apparently it did not have an electronic clock with an automatic buzzer. The time was kept at the scorer's table, and the timer would shoot off a gun when time expired at the end of the half.

My father said one time somebody smuggled a rubber chicken to a game and took it up to the running track above the court.

When the gun went off at the end of the first half, the guy with the rubber chicken heaved it over the railing, and it came sailing down from the running track and landed smack in the middle of the court as the crowd dissolved in hysterics.

So I guess I'd have to admit that the melting snow wasn't the only thing that ever dropped in.

I have a feeling this wasn't what Jericho had in mind, but at least I thought harder.
            You're on the right track by mentioning a chicken

When I was a student I was "good friends" with the short lived and much maligned Red Hawk. I made many appearances at basketball games, including a cover photo on The Poly of me in character jumping off a trampolines attempting to dunk.
            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Ah, the Red Hawk.

I guess the tenure of that mascot happened long after I graduated, but some time before it became commonplace for RPI home basketball games to be streamed over the Internet.

Comment

Today is 15 May 2018. There are 144 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October 2018 for the start of next season.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Mine and Jen's favorite also!! By far. Way back in the mid 80's when the Lake Superior State Duck like creature picked Jenny up and carried her around the HFH during a Christmas Tournament(all 95 pounds of her), the Swarm came to her rescue and carried her back to our seats. I would have save her myself but i was busy flirting with some other young lady.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                    Mine and Jen's favorite also!! By far. Way back in the mid 80's when the Lake Superior State Duck like creature picked Jenny up and carried her around the HFH during a Christmas Tournament(all 95 pounds of her), the Swarm came to her rescue and carried her back to our seats. I would have save her myself but i was busy flirting with some other young lady.
                    You’re not gonna believe this Doc, but I remember that event. It was one of the very few times there was ever a mascot from a visiting team at HFH. I didn’t realize that it was Jenny! Wish I had known you guys back then...

Comment

You’re not gonna believe this Doc, but I remember that event. It was one of the very few times there was ever a mascot from a visiting team at HFH. I didn’t realize that it was Jenny! Wish I had known you guys back then...
                      We had stayed at the Holiday Inn in town for that tournament as did the visiting teams. I think it was November date instead of the late December that we usually had the event. In any case, the Lake Superior State coach was sitting with us at the bar and presented Jenny with a team banner signed by all of his players. I think RIT was there but cannot recall the fourth team (? Alaska Anchorage). I think we were pretty much comatose the entire time!
                      Those two day tournaments were a blast and a big part of RPI hockey. I know all the reasons given for ending them but we certainly miss them.
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Today is 16 May 2018. There are 143 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          Duck-like creature? Maybe there was some runoff from the reactor that made it to the lake.

Comment

Today is 17 May 2018. There are 142 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                              Duck-like creature? Maybe there was some runoff from the reactor that made it to the lake.
                              This thread wouldn't be complete without a link to a picture of Seamore the Sea Duck.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ty_Mascots.jpg

Comment

Today is 18 May 2018. There are 141 days until RPI's next game.

Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-19-2018, 01:49 AM.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X