X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I recall Appert cutting some players when he first started (Reed Kipp for sure; probably some others I don't remember), and then honored the scholarship.
    Correct, but not in large numbers like now. The only other whom I recall is Jason Fortino, but I think there was at least one more.

I also recall that Kipp still participated in Senior Day even though he was no longer on the team.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

This is just my opinion, but I thought that the system played this year was much better. Fewer giveaways in the defensive zone and better breakouts than in the past. The goaltending was erratic, but Marshall was just a freshman and looked pretty good for the most part.
      However, no matter how good the system is, if we don't get some goal scorers, we will continue to lose on a regular basis.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Correct, but not in large numbers like now. The only other whom I recall is Jason Fortino, but I think there was at least one more.

I also recall that Kipp still participated in Senior Day even though he was no longer on the team.
        Jordan Cyr had to transfer to Holy Cross because he couldn't play at RPI. He ended up leading Holy Cross in points. Great evaluation on Seth's part!!
        I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

• Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
          Jordan Cyr had to transfer to Holy Cross because he couldn't play at RPI. He ended up leading Holy Cross in points. Great evaluation on Seth's part!!
          (
          Not only that, but he scored the OT goal to beat RPI at the Field House.

Ralph, Kipp participated in senior day as a loved one (friend) of one of the graduating seniors
          Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
            (

Ralph, Kipp participated in senior day as a loved one (friend) of one of the graduating seniors
            Are you sure this isn't the game which you are referring to? It was the third place game of the Denver Cup. He scored an ENG which became the game winner when Josh Rabbini scored a last-minute goal.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

(

Didn't he also have the game winner vs. us at the Denver tournament?

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Didn't he also have the game winner vs. us at the Denver tournament?
                we both could be thinking of the tournament out in Columbus, but that tourney could've been too early. I did that tournament with Jim Spavins, and IIRC he was before Appert's arrival. You could be correct in the location, I'm not sure. Cyr beat us numerous times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Are you sure this isn't the game which you are referring to? It was the third place game of the Denver Cup. He scored an ENG which became the game winner when Josh Rabbini scored a last-minute goal.
                  No, it was definitely an OT goal

Comment

we both could be thinking of the tournament out in Columbus, but that tourney could've been too early. I did that tournament with Jim Spavins, and IIRC he was before Appert's arrival. You could be correct in the location, I'm not sure. Cyr beat us numerous times.
                    Here's the game Ralph and I are referencing: http://collegehockeystats.net/0809/boxes/mhcrren1.j03

We didn't play CHC any other time he was there. I don't recall us playing in a tournament in Columbus.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Here's the game Ralph and I are referencing: http://collegehockeystats.net/0809/boxes/mhcrren1.j03

We didn't play CHC any other time he was there. I don't recall us playing in a tournament in Columbus.
                      You and Ralph must be correct then. The game I am referring to was played in Fridge's last season (05-06), the tournament was called the Ohio Hockey Classic with Ohio St, Miami, and Holy Cross. RPI lost to Miami 3-2 on the first day, then lost the consolation to Holy Cross 4-2 the next night. Mathias Lange combined for 42 saves in the tournament. Kevin Croxton, Jonathan Ornelas, Kevin Broad and Kurt Colling were RPI's goal scorers.

Comment

I am aware players are cut here and there, but when you cut about 1/4 of the roster and it happens at more than 1 school, that is different. I guess what I am wondering is whether this will be isolated situations or is this the way going forward. If you look at college hockey, there is the trend of players leaving school early for the pros, but if you add wholesale roster changes, that adds a whole new dimension to the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                          I am aware players are cut here and there, but when you cut about 1/4 of the roster and it happens at more than 1 school, that is different. I guess what I am wondering is whether this will be isolated situations or is this the way going forward. If you look at college hockey, there is the trend of players leaving school early for the pros, but if you add wholesale roster changes, that adds a whole new dimension to the sport.
                          I think it's isolated. Both teams changed coaches this past year. I highly doubt that you will see it mid-season. Kids may decide to leave for various reasons, but you don't usually see the flat out cuts. Also, scholarships are generally for one year and get renewed each year, so if they get cut mid-season, the school is out that money. If they leave on their own, it works differently. I don't pretend to think that I am an expert at this, nor do I care that much. With Smith signing a 5 year contract, if he were to play out with "Appert's kids," then he only has a year to try and right the ship, so I think that's part of the reason.

Comment

Today is 26 April 2018. There are 163 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October 2018 for the start of next season.[/QUOTE]
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

You and Ralph must be correct then. The game I am referring to was played in Fridge's last season (05-06), the tournament was called the Ohio Hockey Classic with Ohio St, Miami, and Holy Cross. RPI lost to Miami 3-2 on the first day, then lost the consolation to Holy Cross 4-2 the next night. Mathias Lange combined for 42 saves in the tournament. Kevin Croxton, Jonathan Ornelas, Kevin Broad and Kurt Colling were RPI's goal scorers.
                              OK; I wasn't following the team as closely then as I am today, so I didn't remember that tournament. I do recall us going to Alaska that year for the Kendall, one of the last times that tournament was fully exempt, rather than only exempt if you play the Alaska teams.

Comment

With Smith signing a 5 year contract, if he were to play out with "Appert's kids," then he only has a year to try and right the ship, so I think that's part of the reason.
                                Excellent observation - I hadn't thought of that, but it makes perfect sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X