X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
    She only had two - I'll let you guess what they were and give you the answers soon.
    The win over Quinnipiac with Viktor's hatty has to be one. I would guess knocking off Cornell in Ithaca is the other? Nothing else super exciting happened at home, so I dunno.
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

• Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
      The win over Quinnipiac with Viktor's hatty has to be one. I would guess knocking off Cornell in Ithaca is the other? Nothing else super exciting happened at home, so I dunno.
      You got one of two.
      Charlene

Comment

Today is 23 April 2018. There are 166 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October 2018 for the start of next season.
        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-24-2018, 12:11 AM.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

You got one of two.
          Then probably splitting the hard way with "a frozen four team" (i.e. tOSU).

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Then probably splitting the hard way with "a frozen four team" (i.e. tOSU).
            Nope. Answer tomorrow along with final hockey banquet report.
            Charlene

Comment

Today is 24 April 2018. There are 165 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October 2018 for the start of next season.[/QUOTE]
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Nope. Answer tomorrow along with final hockey banquet report.
                Why do I have an odd feeling she's going to say the Dartmouth game at home...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Why do I have an odd feeling she's going to say the Dartmouth game at home...
                  It could be the trip to Belfast. We didn't do well, but it was a highlight of the season.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    It could be the trip to Belfast. We didn't do well, but it was a highlight of the season.
                    Did she go to Belfast?
                    RPI Pep Band
                    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

In her speech, Dr. Jackson said that, even though the season didn't turn out as we hoped, "there were highlights." As I mentioned, she only offered two. The first was beating Cornell at Cornell when they were the no. 1 team in the country. I don't think she'd get any argument on that one. The second was "beating Colgate at Colgate to force a decisive game three in the ECAC Playoffs." She didn't mention, of course, that RPI then lost the decisive game three that they had forced. And I don't know if she came up with these highlights on her own or if someone fed them to her (I'd guess the latter).

By the way, the Colgate playoff series seemed to be a recurring theme. I noticed that all three administrative speeches talked about how the Engineers played in that series. Not about how WELL they played, just about how they played - "with integrity," "with grit," "for the right reasons," etc. I've never pretended to be an expert on the game of hockey. Those of you more knowledgeable - did you see a noticeable difference in RPI's play at the end of the season? Was there a qualitative difference if not a quantitative? In other words, did they really get better and it just didn't translate to the scoresheet yet? Or is this just more end-of-year, feel-good, pc speechmaking? (Again, I'm guessing the latter.)

Final hockey banquet report will have to wait till tomorrow - sorry! Lots going on at home right now.
                      Charlene

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                        Did she go to Belfast?
                        I don't think that that she did. It still could have been a highlight.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 25 April 2018. There are 164 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October 2018 for the start of next season.[/QUOTE]
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

In her speech, Dr. Jackson said that, even though the season didn't turn out as we hoped, "there were highlights." As I mentioned, she only offered two. The first was beating Cornell at Cornell when they were the no. 1 team in the country. I don't think she'd get any argument on that one. The second was "beating Colgate at Colgate to force a decisive game three in the ECAC Playoffs." She didn't mention, of course, that RPI then lost the decisive game three that they had forced. And I don't know if she came up with these highlights on her own or if someone fed them to her (I'd guess the latter).

By the way, the Colgate playoff series seemed to be a recurring theme. I noticed that all three administrative speeches talked about how the Engineers played in that series. Not about how WELL they played, just about how they played - "with integrity," "with grit," "for the right reasons," etc. I've never pretended to be an expert on the game of hockey. Those of you more knowledgeable - did you see a noticeable difference in RPI's play at the end of the season? Was there a qualitative difference if not a quantitative? In other words, did they really get better and it just didn't translate to the scoresheet yet? Or is this just more end-of-year, feel-good, pc speechmaking? (Again, I'm guessing the latter.)

Final hockey banquet report will have to wait till tomorrow - sorry! Lots going on at home right now.
                            Main difference I noticed was that FlagDUDETTE and I showed up.

As the season went on, it seemed like we regressed. However, as much as the comments seem like they're blowing smoke, they seem more like a message of, "These highlighted games are what happens when you put in the 65 minute effort we know you're capable of, we like seeing that, and we expect you to play with that intensity every night you put on the uniform."

Comment

Looking ahead......USCHO has an article that Niagra has cut several players. Guess RPI's announcement should be next. The article indicates the university will honor the scholarships of those who wish to stay. Just curious as to whether this has happened in the past where several players are cut from more than one program? If not, you have to wonder what the impact will be. I read an article in the NY Times a year or so ago that there was a glut of college level hockey talent vying for the available spots. So is this current situation a reflection of poor recruiting? Are there better players out there (that are "college" material) that are waiting for the chance? If you were a player and you knew you were not in the top tiers of players (if you could admit that to yourself), this adds another dimension to pursuing your dream. I mean, I suspect many college players have the dream of playing in the NHL, but quickly recognize their hockey careers will likely end with graduation. But it was a fun ride while it lasted. But now when you can't even make it the 4 years (and with teams in the bottom of the rankings), then maybe these players will opt for D3 instead, decreasing the pool for D1 programs. I guess we are about to find out by watching what happens at Niagra and RPI.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                                Looking ahead......USCHO has an article that Niagra has cut several players. Guess RPI's announcement should be next. The article indicates the university will honor the scholarships of those who wish to stay. Just curious as to whether this has happened in the past where several players are cut from more than one program? If not, you have to wonder what the impact will be. I read an article in the NY Times a year or so ago that there was a glut of college level hockey talent vying for the available spots. So is this current situation a reflection of poor recruiting? Are there better players out there (that are "college" material) that are waiting for the chance? If you were a player and you knew you were not in the top tiers of players (if you could admit that to yourself), this adds another dimension to pursuing your dream. I mean, I suspect many college players have the dream of playing in the NHL, but quickly recognize their hockey careers will likely end with graduation. But it was a fun ride while it lasted. But now when you can't even make it the 4 years (and with teams in the bottom of the rankings), then maybe these players will opt for D3 instead, decreasing the pool for D1 programs. I guess we are about to find out by watching what happens at Niagra and RPI.
                                I recall Appert cutting some players when he first started (Reed Kipp for sure; probably some others I don't remember), and then honored the scholarship.

Comment

Working...
                                X