This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

Assuming we're right in our conjecture, I'm a little surprised at a couple of those leaving - and those staying. I usually (but not always) know if someone is not playing because they're injured or sick or if they're just a healthy scratch, so I'm looking at that together with the number of games played to try to get an idea of how much Dave Smith values each player. Based on that, I would have thought that Emil Ohrvall was probably safe, and maybe Charlie Manley as well. On the other hand, I'm a little surprised (though very pleased on a personal level) that Meirs Moore made the cut. Possibly his two-way play at the end of the season was a saver for him. And I consider it a possibility that Emil chose to leave if Jesper was cut.

As for Chase Perry, does the fact that he's drafted and already transferred once come into the decision? Would it be a real transgression to cut someone in that situation? Just speculating.
    Charlene

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
      Assuming we're right in our conjecture, I'm a little surprised at a couple of those leaving - and those staying. I usually (but not always) know if someone is not playing because they're injured or sick or if they're just a healthy scratch, so I'm looking at that together with the number of games played to try to get an idea of how much Dave Smith values each player. Based on that, I would have thought that Emil Ohrvall was probably safe, and maybe Charlie Manley as well. On the other hand, I'm a little surprised (though very pleased on a personal level) that Meirs Moore made the cut. Possibly his two-way play at the end of the season was a saver for him. And I consider it a possibility that Emil chose to leave if Jesper was cut.

As for Chase Perry, does the fact that he's drafted and already transferred once come into the decision? Would it be a real transgression to cut someone in that situation? Just speculating.
      A few comments, I would think that Emil would stick with his brother and it seemed like both were playing less as the year progressed. It could also be that Swedes don't grow up playing basketball so he just didn't play.. Austrians too. OTOH the number of players leaving is close to the number that I would expect to leave based upon the recruit class. Perry having transferred once and having sat out a year can't do it again because he only has 5 years to complete four years of play. However he could turn pro. He seemed to me as an obvious choice to be cut since he played very little in the second half of the season and we had have another goalie arriving. I agree about Moore.

None of this is based upon any actual knowledge about what is going on.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

To add to the discussion about who is returning, let us not forget that Alex Rodriguez figured prominently in the exercise video last year and did not return.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            To add to the discussion about who is returning, let us not forget that Alex Rodriguez figured prominently in the exercise video last year and did not return.
            But that was during a full transition, so it'd make sense that Coach Smith would want to get a look at what hand he's been dealt.

Comment

Drewwwwwwwwwww
              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Should this go on the alumni thread?

Edit: I guess not, Turk already mentioned it.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                  Drewwwwwwwwwww
                  Just good to see! I trained at RPI but also at BU and taught there at their medical school. First boy from RPI (I think) to score an NCAA tournament goal since George Servinis(who might have been a stride or two off side?). Even if BU goes no further, a little vindication for DM!!
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    A few comments, I would think that Emil would stick with his brother and it seemed like both were playing less as the year progressed. It could also be that Swedes don't grow up playing basketball so he just didn't play.. Austrians too. OTOH the number of players leaving is close to the number that I would expect to leave based upon the recruit class. Perry having transferred once and having sat out a year can't do it again because he only has 5 years to complete four years of play. However he could turn pro. He seemed to me as an obvious choice to be cut since he played very little in the second half of the season and we had have another goalie arriving. I agree about Moore.

None of this is based upon any actual knowledge about what is going on.
                    Emil I would be surprised, until I think about the whole legacy thing. Manley I don't think so, given he's always had difficulty cracking lineups; even Appert had difficulty helping to get him into a top tier junior league, and he was a recruit for how long before finally being ready to come to RPI? Five years?

Of the juniors (and redshirt sophomores), how many are listed as seniors in the directory? Granted most would be first semester seniors, but with the trend that's been happening with Melanson and Hayton, I would look at them being the most vulnerable to not wanting to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Emil I would be surprised, until I think about the whole legacy thing. Manley I don't think so, given he's always had difficulty cracking lineups; even Appert had difficulty helping to get him into a top tier junior league, and he was a recruit for how long before finally being ready to come to RPI? Five years?

Of the juniors (and redshirt sophomores), how many are listed as seniors in the directory? Granted most would be first semester seniors, but with the trend that's been happening with Melanson and Hayton, I would look at them being the most vulnerable to not wanting to stay.
                      They have stopped listing the year in the directory.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I note that recently, the question was raised as to whether RPI's hockey team could still be considered "relevant."

I don't suppose many posters on this thread have a keen interest in the NCAA basketball tournament, but if you watch any sports reports at all these days, you can hardly avoid hearing about Loyola of Chicago and their good luck charm, 98-year old Sister Jean, who serves their team as chaplain and honorary assistant coach.

Loyola won the NCAA championship in 1963 but up until this year, their "relevance" had been in question for quite some time. Their last previous appearance in the NCAA basketball tournament was in 1985 - which some of us may remember as the same year in which RPI last scored a goal in the NCAA hockey tournament.

Wonder if Father Joe knows any 98-year-old nuns that might be interested in serving as chaplain for a certain hockey team we all know and love?

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                          I note that recently, the question was raised as to whether RPI's hockey team could still be considered "relevant."

I don't suppose many posters on this thread have a keen interest in the NCAA basketball tournament, but if you watch any sports reports at all these days, you can hardly avoid hearing about Loyola of Chicago and their good luck charm, 98-year old Sister Jean, who serves their team as chaplain and honorary assistant coach.

Loyola won the NCAA championship in 1963 but up until this year, their "relevance" had been in question for quite some time. Their last previous appearance in the NCAA basketball tournament was in 1985 - which some of us may remember as the same year in which RPI last scored a goal in the NCAA hockey tournament.

Wonder if Father Joe knows any 98-year-old nuns that might be interested in serving as chaplain for a certain hockey team we all know and love?
                          I will keep my eyes open, but that '98-year-old criteria' might be hard to meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

We need a 98-year old engineer instead.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 26 March 2018. There are 194 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October 2018 for the start of next season.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post

[QUOTE=cmmarkham;6645397]

It's definitely a consideration. Coaches will normally try to stay in the good graces of NHL orgs and treat their draftees accordingly. That said, this is Perrys 2nd school, and Marshalll was starter for most of the season. Add in the fact that he's not a "Smith kid" and its not out of the realm of possibility that he's odd man odd out. As I've mentioned previously , when Marshall had back to back games with 7 goals allowed and Perry didn't get the following game start, that spoke volumes....
                                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X